I'm on Verizon and I got my phone on launch day and that one rebooted all the time so I did the same thing as op and finally I returned it and got another one. After I got a new one, I have no problems so I'm leaning towards hardware problems as well.

Posted via CB10
    My story. Verbatim.
    04-18-13 06:26 PM
    Guys -

Please let's not turn my thread into a troubleshooting thread. My main point in my post is that we shouldn't be spending as much of our time identifying the cause but rather availing ourselves of our warranty which is being honored by our carriers and get those troublesome handsets replaced until we get a good one. I really do love the passion of all of our troubleshooters and helpful community members, but clearly given our smallish sample size, we have a myopic sense of what's going on. If you have a bad one, make the call or visit a store and keep changing 'em out until you are one of the 'lucky ones'.

Root

Posted via CB10
    eninrebmun and southlander like this.
    04-18-13 06:28 PM
    I picked up my 3rd today. All of my reps (1 phone twice in store) had no problems arranging my exchange. No arguments. They did ask some questions but it was more to gather information than for making me try and justify the exchange.

(the store manager has one that doesn't reboot at all. he was very supportive of me trying again with the third device)
    04-18-13 06:33 PM
    My rep finally told me it is a cpu problem (saw this from a repair center also) and he told me there is going to be a massive recall. Just a thought, Is this why the delay on the software upgrade? Are they trying to do a work around with software so they do not have to do a recall?
    Your Verizon rep or BlackBerry rep and where'd they get that information from?
    04-18-13 06:37 PM
    Mine started rebooting the moment I finished installing the OS update that came out last Friday (10.10.822 via AT&T). That would be some coincident if the reboot problem would in fact be a hardware related. The Z10 is a terrific device and I think RIM did a nice job on this phone but they have to get their arms around this random-reboot problem fast if they don't want to loose all the steam. Seeing a number of people that have random reboots even with their replacement devices is another indicator that makes me wonder that this may not be hardware related after all. My Z10 is a 150313 Made in Mexico.
    04-18-13 06:38 PM
    My is a Verizon 160313 and never had a reboot
    And I am running android apps

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:40 PM
    Guys -

Please let's not turn my thread into a troubleshooting thread. My main point in my post is that we shouldn't be spending as much of our time identifying the cause but rather availing ourselves of our warranty which is being honored by our carriers and get those troublesome handsets replaced until we get a good one. I really do love the passion of all of our troubleshooters and helpful community members, but clearly given our smallish sample size, we have a myopic sense of what's going on. If you have a bad one, make the call or visit a store and keep changing 'em out until you are one of the 'lucky ones'.

Root

Posted via CB10
    I get what you're saying but I have time. I have insurance and the manufacturer warranty is granted for what...six months I believe.

BUT, I don't have time to play "swap my phone until it works." I'm sure others feel the same way. Numerous phone swaps are inconvenient. I rather take a chance at the next update to see if BlackBerry fixes it. Then I'll decide.

Posted via CB10
    sklotz2000 likes this.
    04-18-13 06:47 PM
    I get what you are saying but I've already seen a number of OS updates, and done an update myself from the Verizon released code level. But back to another point I made in my OP, I personally know a few people and have met more in these forums that are using 10.0.9.x which is the latest release from Verizon with no reboots in weeks/months meaning quite clearly to me this is not an OS issue. Once you have a known good, any variance from that is suspect. Take two Zeds - both stock - and one putters along with no reboots while the other suffers multiple reboots on a 24 hour cycle. Do you see my point? Once the variables are removed from an OS version perspective, what is left is hardware. It's not a complicated equation. Signal strength or network? Environment? Too many variables for a few people to diagnose without a huge sample size.

Another poster above says hour doesn't have time to replace handsets. I spent 15 enjoyable minutes on the phone today from my desk and VZW is delivering a phone to me tomorrow to try. I'll use it and if it reboots once, I make another short call, ask the rep to refer to the notes on my account, and have another delivered in a day. That's far less time messing around than reloading OS, restricting app use and generally fiddling with my phone every which way to try to eliminate tons of other variables.

Root

Posted via CB10
    grover5 likes this.
    04-18-13 07:02 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to share your call to VZW. My wife's Z10 has been rebooting off and on since we got them. Mine hasn't done it once. Good info IMHO.
    04-18-13 07:14 PM
    Your Verizon rep or BlackBerry rep and where'd they get that information from?
    I will try and find out. Should have asked in the first place. The repair center that I referred to was from one of these forums.
    04-18-13 07:21 PM
    Take two Zeds - both stock - and one putters along with no reboots while the other suffers multiple reboots on a 24 hour cycle. Do you see my point? Once the variables are removed from an OS version perspective, WHAT IS LEFT IS HARDWARE. It's not a complicated equation. Signal strength or network? Environment? Too many variables for a few people to diagnose without a huge sample size.
    Posted via CB10
    I do not want this to be true but, It was a conclusion I came to days ago and posted it on other threads. Going to make it harder to fix.
    04-18-13 07:34 PM
    So today I finally called VZW and asked a tech rep about what's up with the Z10! I got a good answer finally. He went into his notes and found that it is a Charger related issue and wireless related issue. He said that VZW is working feverishly on a update release for the near future. He stated that this issue is on a mission critical protocol and they want to address as fast as they can. He did sound like he knew what was going on and described some of my issues before I was even able to say them. So they are aware and I believe working on this issue. I hope that it is software and not hardware, I'm on my second device and my 14 days are over. I'm waiting patiently!!!
    04-18-13 07:40 PM
    Given that the Verizon radio is massively different, I would not put it past hardware issues.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-18-13 07:44 PM
    I will try and find out. Should have asked in the first place. The repair center that I referred to was from one of these forums.
    He said that he saw it in a report.
    04-18-13 07:53 PM
    So today I finally called VZW and asked a tech rep about what's up with the Z10! I got a good answer finally. He went into his notes and found that it is a Charger related issue and wireless related issue.
    Yup.... After the last 4 days... My phone only reboots when it is on a charger. Took me awhile to figure this out but you are confirming my suspicions.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    04-18-13 07:53 PM
    [QUOTE=boi2012;8341042]
    "My rep finally told me it is a cpu problem (saw this from a repair center also) and he told me there is going to be a massive recall. Just a thought, Is this why the delay on the software upgrade? Are they trying to do a work around with software so they do not have to do a recall?"

If it's definitely a hardware problem, which is just speculation for now, but makes sense, then Blackberry maybe is doing exactly what your rep said--looking for a software work around or preparing for a major recall. In Blackberry's defense, that could be why they are so silent regarding the matter. They are probably still in the process of analyzing the problem. If a software solution isn't possible, then they are probably trying to localize the bad batch of hardware, so that they can give specific recall information that only applies to specific serial numbers linked to those batches.

I'm sure we'll know something soon, because I think people are going to lose patience with the reboots and constant exchanges.
    I agree.
    04-18-13 08:03 PM
    Yup.... After the last 4 days... My phone only reboots when it is on a charger. Took me awhile to figure this out but you are confirming my suspicions.
    I had this initial thought too. My first phone only rebooted when it was plugged in (as far as I know). The second one rebooted right as I went to pick it up to make a call. I was in my car, and it was not charging at the time. It also reboots while charging, which has been a nightly event.
    04-18-13 08:03 PM
    My rep finally told me it is a cpu problem (saw this from a repair center also) and he told me there is going to be a massive recall. Just a thought, Is this why the delay on the software upgrade? Are they trying to do a work around with software so they do not have to do a recall?
    If it's definitely a hardware problem, which is just speculation for now, but makes sense, then Blackberry maybe is doing exactly what your rep said--looking for a software work around or preparing for a major recall. In Blackberry's defense, that could be why they are so silent regarding the matter. They are probably still in the process of analyzing the problem. If a software solution isn't possible, then they are probably trying to localize the bad batch of hardware, so that they can give specific recall information that only applies to specific serial numbers linked to those batches.

I'm sure we'll know something soon, because I think people are going to lose patience with the reboots and constant exchanges.
    04-18-13 08:05 PM
    For those with no reboots, can you please check the build date on your BB box? it will list on the side as day/month/year.

Thanks.
    No reboots ever.

22/01/2013 Made in Mexico
    04-18-13 08:17 PM
    What u don't understand is.. If in fact it is a hardware issue.. the same hardware is going to be in the next phone to.. I got a replacement from att for the same reason. This one has done it a lot less. But today my phone just started vibrating out of the blue continuously would not stop. No screen function power button did nothing only way I could stop it was to pull the battery. My previous one did this also. But only once. I don't know what's going on. But i sure hope this gets worked out ASAP. I still love the phone and we all know that when a 1st gen product comes out. There will be bugs and short comings.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 08:20 PM
    My is a Verizon 160313 and never had a reboot
    And I am running android apps

Posted via CB10
    My Mfg date is also: 160313 And it reboots at least once a day.
    STL100-4 from VZW
    No side loads
    No Android apps
    04-18-13 08:30 PM
    For my first Z10 I didn't even take my charger out of the box. I used my PlayBook charger exclusively. If it's a charger issue it's on the device side and not the charger side.

I am curious as to how many people who are getting reboots have deleted bloatware (LinkedIn, YouTube etc.) off their devices. I did for each device. I'm going to leave that all on this time and just put it in a spare folder (even though I hate any extra junk) to see what happens. But I'd be curious to know if there's a difference there.
    04-18-13 09:21 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I got my phone on launch day and that one rebooted all the time so I did the same thing as op and finally I returned it and got another one. After I got a new one, I have no problems so I'm leaning towards hardware problems as well.

Posted via CB10
    Same here (so far)... replaced mine at Verizon a week and a half ago and it's been fine. Battery life seems to be improving too.
    04-18-13 09:27 PM
    For those with no reboots, can you please check the build date on your BB box? it will list on the side as day/month/year. My first one was 190313, my second one 200313.

Let's see if this is a fixed in later builds issue.

Thanks.
    Verizon STL100-4
    170313 Canada 1

Reboots overnight while charging, but I do get them throughout the day on occasion.

No Android apps, no side-loads of any kind. All the extra apps/bloatware has been left on the phone. I have done several wipes, OS reloads, switching SIM cards, not using SD card, etc. Nothing has alleviated the reboots.

I will be requesting a replacement from Verizon.
    04-19-13 01:15 AM
    Verizon STL100-4
    170313 Canada 1

Reboots overnight while charging, but I do get them throughout the day on occasion.

No Android apps, no side-loads of any kind. All the extra apps/bloatware has been left on the phone. I have done several wipes, OS reloads, switching SIM cards, not using SD card, etc. Nothing has alleviated the reboots.

I will be requesting a replacement from Verizon.
    190313 build date for me. Rebooting machine!
    04-19-13 05:28 AM
66 123