Guys -

Figured this story needed to be told. Before I move forward with my story, I want to thank the VZW support rep (who knows my CB handle now so I have to be nice ) that took my call today - the session wasn't just painless, it was downright pleasurable since they accepted the fact that I know my equipment and have tried everything and anything to rid myself of random reboots since day one and we chatted most of the time on the phone about my various rants against carriers, support and Verizon in particular, agreeing with me (as a platitude?).

Anyway, I've had my VZW Z10 for 10 days now, and have been following and contributing a lot to threads on bugs and issues related to random reboots. I've told myself time and time again that the problems MUST be software related and that a software version with bug fixes would rid my Zed from it's schizophrenic behavior. That ended today, though. In a BBM chat with some like-minded tech folk, we were chatting away and during a post, the freeze and blinky red-light thing occurred AGAIN (random reboot) and I lost my post. Upon regaining use of my Zed, I bounced back into BBM announcing my third reboot of the day to the others in the chat room, and two folks I had come to respect for their mobile knowledge announced their VZW Zeds had never rebooted, not even once, since they had them - both with release version Verizon software. Not once. I read others here trying to announce the same thing, but have been skeptical until today when I got the info from two people I had some degree of respect for/relationship with.

When I say that I had tried everything... I have. Multiple OS wipes, with and without restores... SIM card swap, multiple SD cards (and none at all), no apps, no android ports... you get the idea. Everything even including loading the leaked OS and running that for two full days (the leaked build helped with other problems - but I was still rebooting!).

Now, to my 'speaking without saying anything'. I prepared myself for a marathon phone support session - 'did you try this... did you try that...' and called VZW support. The rep asked me what I had done to try to fix the problem. When I started the litany of events, he gleefully stopped me and told me that it was clear to him, from the problem description (random reboots), that if a full wipe and OS restoration didn't solve the problem, I had a hardware issue (yes, read that again... a HARDWARE issue) and he would like to replace my Zed. Because of the brevity of the call and the quick offering of the replacement hardware, to me, that means this isn't the first call they have received on this issue, probably won't be the last, and they likely have a support directive sitting in front of them to replace any Zeds with users reporting reboot issues.

So, IMHO, it's time to save yourselves and everyone else here some heartburn. If you have a Zed that is randomly rebooting, call your carrier's support, describe the reboot issue, and ask for a new handset. Continue to do so until you have one (like my friends on BBM) that doesn't every reboot unless you ask it to. We can gnash our 'teeth' here again and again on what the culprit is, and spend countless hours debating, but the upshot is that carriers are replacing Zeds with this problem almost without troubleshooting at this point because they clearly know this issue exists and have been told how to deal with it (if an OS restore doesn't help - replace the phone).

I know I'm opening myself up to a flame war here from folks demanding to be heard on witchcraft/ninja troubleshooting that tells them it's software that's causing the problem - but if there is one single user out there that you trust that has a phone of your type and carrier who isn't having reboot issues and is on the same OS release version you are - you are doing yourself a disservice by ignoring that one bit of troubleshooting that we all rely on - the 'known good'. There's enough people on every model of Zed with every OS version, with every carrier who had used their Zed for weeks or months without a single reboot they didn't initiate to say that it's not any of those variables that's the root cause. It's likely an early manufacturing variance that has caused all of this tumult - and the carriers are replacing hardware for people who stand up and ask. So, stand up and ask... that's my advice anyway. Find your diamond in the rough and don't let a bad run of hardware luck turn you into a troll - the Zed is a very nice handset and doesn't deserve to be slighted because of our frustration with it's reliability.

I just wish BlackBerry wouldn't remain mute and come out and recall the bad ones once and for all - take the hit, enjoy the goodwill it brings it's devotees.

Root
    04-18-13 02:51 PM
    Great advice. I can't help but be a bit irritated when those who have not had the issue INSIST that it is a software/SD card/side loading issue. If I had listened to them, I would have been stuck with a faulty device. I exchanged my rebooting Z10 with a perfect Z10 with Koodo here in Canada, and am very glad I did.

Glad you got a resolution and can enjoy your Z10, it's an awesome device when working as it should.

Posted via CB10
    niss63 likes this.
    04-18-13 03:03 PM
    My rep finally told me it is a cpu problem (saw this from a repair center also) and he told me there is going to be a massive recall. Just a thought, Is this why the delay on the software upgrade? Are they trying to do a work around with software so they do not have to do a recall?
    niss63 likes this.
    04-18-13 03:20 PM
    I'm reluctant to say since I'm of the opinion that many, if not most, reps aren't knowledgeable or have a view of the big picture, but time will tell. It makes sense that BlackBerry would try to control the release of information on something massive like that and is remaining quiet while trying to prepare for the hit they will take in the public for such an admission, but they need only look at how other mobile companies have rebounded from production issue admissions to see that the goodwill eventually balances out the knee-jerk reaction.

Think about how many people here in the forums want to love their Zed but give up eventually and relatively quickly in the face of such a frustrating problem. If BlackBerry Just admitted the problem and solved it for the faithful and early adopters alike, I think they'd earn some respect.

Root

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 03:28 PM
    I'm reluctant to say since I'm of the opinion that many, if not most, reps aren't knowledgeable or have a view of the big picture, but time will tell. It makes sense that BlackBerry would try to control the release of information on something massive like that and is remaining quiet while trying to prepare for the hit they will take in the public for such an admission, but they need only look at how other mobile companies have rebounded from production issue admissions to see that the goodwill eventually balances out the knee-jerk reaction.

Think about how many people here in the forums want to love their Zed but give up eventually and relatively quickly in the face of such a frustrating problem. If BlackBerry Just admitted the problem and solved it for the faithful and early adopters alike, I think they'd earn some respect.

Root

Posted via CB10
    +1
    CurtainJerker83 likes this.
    04-18-13 03:39 PM

Root

Posted via CB10
    Amen

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 03:51 PM
    mine reboots too. love the phone but past my 14 days to return it. it rebooted for the 1st time this morning.
    04-18-13 03:54 PM
    mine reboots too. love the phone but past my 14 days to return it. it rebooted for the 1st time this morning.
    You can use the 1 year BlackBerry warranty for repair or exchange.

Tim

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    southlander likes this.
    04-18-13 04:10 PM
    You're lucky, Root. Here's what I went through:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...th-vzw-795634/

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:21 PM
    Bad one.

Our Z10s are terrific. Use all day and night, plug it in overnight and that's how it's been.

Best phones we've ever owned.
    04-18-13 04:24 PM
    I'm on Verizon and have had no reboots. Just saying.

I've had other problem though

Posted via CB10
    Camelhmpz likes this.
    04-18-13 04:28 PM
    I'm on Verizon, no reboots but android apps can't use cell data which socks.

For the first week battery life sucked, but now it's good, lasts from 6am-10pm with a lot of phone calls, texts, emails, tons of cb10, and games. So I can no longer complain there.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:34 PM
    Got my replacement phone in. Put battery in, no sim, no memory card and no apps. It rebooted with in six hours.
    04-18-13 04:46 PM
    I'm on my second from Verizon. This one reboots too - if only i weren't such a loyalist...
    04-18-13 04:55 PM
    Got my replacement phone in. Put battery in, no sim, no memory card and no apps. It rebooted with in six hours.
    And this is why it's hard to believe what's what.

If this is truly a hardware issue and BlackBerry is aware of it, why are there still devices in the stores. BlackBerry should have halted sales and began re shipping. Why wait to get all the complaints and returns. Fix it before it gets worse.

People are getting new devices and still experiencing the reboot. This tells me that the issue can and will be fixed with an update.

And to be frank, I would have just replaced the OPs device too instead of trying to figure out why it's happening.

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 04:59 PM
    I'm on Verizon and I got my phone on launch day and that one rebooted all the time so I did the same thing as op and finally I returned it and got another one. After I got a new one, I have no problems so I'm leaning towards hardware problems as well.

Posted via CB10
    eninrebmun likes this.
    04-18-13 05:00 PM
    Glad you're getting your phone replaced. If your Z10 reboots with no Android apps and no SD card that's not normal whether you're on Verizon or not. The only possible explanations at that point are a hardware issue or some sort of weird cellular/wifi/bluetooth communication issue .

I suspect some may be having communication issues though because some have gotten second phones and still seen reboots. That or they have really bad luck and got another phone with bad hardware. I guess the test of that would be to see whether you have reboots with wi-fi and bluetooth off to see if those are an issue. If those are ruled out, your only option is hardware issue or software communication issue with the particular cell towers in your area. It seems possible at this point that there is some sort of software issue dealing with communications that may not manifest itself it all areas. I guess you could check that by turning on airplane mode, although you'd have obviously have to deal with no phone calls or texts during that time. If all of that is ruled out, for sure the only option is a bad hardware.

I've had my Verizon Z10 for about 2 weeks now and have had no reboots at all (knock on wood). I have avoided all Android apps and avoided using an SD card since others seemed to be reporting issues with those. I had one freeze on the first day that required a battery pull but other than that I've really had no issues other than the wi-fi getting hung up once or twice which required a manual reboot to fix.
    04-18-13 05:15 PM
    Once I deleted ebay app on my Z10, everything looks good so far
    04-18-13 05:28 PM
    For those with no reboots, can you please check the build date on your BB box? it will list on the side as day/month/year. My first one was 190313, my second one 200313.

Let's see if this is a fixed in later builds issue.

Thanks.
    04-18-13 05:54 PM

If this is truly a hardware issue and BlackBerry is aware of it, why are there still devices in the stores. BlackBerry should have halted sales and began re shipping. Why wait to get all the complaints and returns. Fix it before it gets worse.

People are getting new devices and still experiencing the reboot. This tells me that the issue can and will be fixed with an update.

And to be frank, I would have just replaced the OPs device too instead of trying to figure out why it's happening.

Posted via CB10
    We still don't know for sure if there is a hardware issue or not. And if there is, do they even have a fix for it yet? How long did it take Microsoft to even acknowledge there was a hardware problem with Xbox 360 when that first shipped? There also you had people sending consoles back and getting ones that broke again just months later because Microsoft took a little while to fix the problem. If there is an issue large enough to require a recall or large-scale warranty service, it would likely not even be acknowledged publicly until BlackBerry is good and ready with a solution and has evaluated all possible options of remedying it at the lowest cost and with least amount of PR damage.

Let's hope that the issues most people are having can be fixed by a software release. The last thing BlackBerry as a company needs right now is some sort of recall or large-scale warranty service. Their reputation is already damaged enough in the US. A large-scale recall of the Z10 would likely scare off anyone who might finally be considering Blackberry again. Some issues may be caused by hardware, but the question is how many? There are a lot of people on the forums who fixed their reboots by getting rid of apps or SD-cards.
    04-18-13 05:57 PM
    For those with no reboots, can you please check the build date on your BB box? it will list on the side as day/month/year. My first one was 190313, my second one 200313.

Let's see if this is a fixed in later builds issue.

Thanks.
    Mine was made in CANADA 1 with a build date of 180313. No reboots here.
    04-18-13 06:02 PM
    Mine was made in CANADA 1 with a build date of 180313. No reboots here.
    Thanks k5. So much for that theory. As an aside, I believe all 004s are made in Canada.
    04-18-13 06:06 PM
    I have a T-Mobile Z10, no SD card in it and two apps from BlackBerry World on it. I am having the reboot issue. I also have a Wi-fi problem. Due to my Wi-fi issue, I generally keep Wi-fi off and I still get reboots. The reboots seem to be picking up in frequency, as it is at least daily now. Right now, my larger concern is the Wi-fi performance. However, I don't like the reboots.
    04-18-13 06:13 PM
    I also had reboots and long charge times. I exchanged for another. New one made in Canada with 200313. Mine only reboots while charging! If I charge at night, bedside mode will be off and I get emails at 3am. So, I don't charge at night anymore. No reboots at night now! Also checked last reboot and it was during lunch at 12:05. I did that one myself though. So far a leap above the torch 9850. I've owned an older curve 8730 (I think) , the storm, storm 2, torch and now this awesome Z10. It may have its quirks, but they will be resolved. Hands down, a great phone!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 06:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    I completely agree. I received a replacement Z10 this past Monday. This phone has rebooted as often or slightly more often than the first one.
    One would think that sending another possibly defective device to an already displeased customer is considered bad business practice.
    I have called VZW back so my concerns have been documented. Unfortunately I don't have enough free time in my schedule to help VZW weed out the duds.
    If the problem TRULY is a hardware bug (CPU), they need to pull the phones from the shelves and only replace them with known good devices.
    Regardless, I still want to keep an open mind on this issue. One tech stating it "is" a hardware issue does not necessarily convince me that it is.
    I just hope a solution is found soon!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-18-13 06:24 PM
66 123