I got my Verizon Z10 on Thursday. I started noticing the reboots relatively quickly and it rebooted about 4 times per day on Thursday and Friday. It happened was when I was in the hub, in an app, plugging it into power, or just pulling it out of my pocket. After reading a bunch of threads, I tried the following:

- turned off wifi
    - stopped using Be Weather Pro
    - stopped using Battery Guru

Since then, I can report zero reboots. I have a bunch of Android apps sideloaded but they don't work correctly because of the Verizon software issue. So, they're not getting much use right now.

I'm going to run it like this for another day and then switch the wifi back on. I want to narrow this down. Regardless, this is disappointing as my PlayBook is so much more stable.
    shadwellal likes this.
    03-31-13 11:45 AM
    I got my Verizon Z10 on Thursday. I started noticing the reboots relatively quickly and it rebooted about 4 times per day on Thursday and Friday. It happened was when I was in the hub, in an app, plugging it into power, or just pulling it out of my pocket. After reading a bunch of threads, I tried the following:

- turned off wifi
    - stopped using Be Weather Pro
    - stopped using Battery Guru

Since then, I can report zero reboots. I have a bunch of Android apps sideloaded but they don't work correctly because of the Verizon software issue. So, they're not getting much use right now.

I'm going to run it like this for another day and then switch the wifi back on. I want to narrow this down. Regardless, this is disappointing as my PlayBook is so much more stable.
    I turned off BeWeather.

Still gave Battery Gury.

I'll reverse in two more days.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 12:16 PM
    I believe this to be application related. The reason I say that is that in my own personal experience I did not experience any random reboots or freezes until I loaded Google Talk on my Z. I am going to remove it and see if the random reboot goes away. I did write a review to the Google dev telling them their app makes my phone bonkers.. but something tells me they wont respond.
    03-31-13 12:27 PM
    I had a few reboots on stl 0002 I have no sideloaded apps.
    it only started recently.
    I am on proximus Belgium with 4G.
    When I witness it it froze before restarting.
    It generally happened when I was not using the phone.
    Posted via CB10
    Last edited by kojita; 03-31-13 at 03:35 PM.
    shadwellal likes this.
    03-31-13 03:24 PM
    I also suspected Google Talk of triggering some crash-related bugs and removed it.
    BTW, it's been written by RIM.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 04:07 PM
    I don't use or have gtalk...

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 04:17 PM
    Apparently it is the Calendar.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 04:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean? Why?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 04:54 PM
    BlackBerry leaks guy on twitter said it was a known cause of the restarts.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 06:00 PM
    i also had it.
    it freezed and just restarted.
    then i took action and started to delete some apps i never used during my days with the z10.
    Well , as far as i am now , it never did again...
    04-01-13 02:30 AM
    You're with SingTel? Chances are you have the same model as my Z10 - 100-2. I haven't experienced a single random reboot. Am with M1.

Posted via CB10
    Afraid so with Singtel

Mike posted via CB10
    04-01-13 02:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Then my Z10 should have the reboots. Not once. (touch wood)
    04-01-13 02:38 AM
    I think there needs to be an allergy test approach to installing apps. To install an app at a time, and wait for 1 week to see if the Z10 acts up. If one goes about downloading a bunch of apps from unknown app developers, what is the risk of problems happening?
    04-01-13 02:40 AM
    Well I hardreset mine and so far so good

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 04:47 AM
    I'm gonna wing a guess here and suggest it's a combination of apps and memory management. I'm seeing a slow but consistent decline in free memory. Fresh after a boot, I have 1.3 gb free; right now that's down to 1gb since Friday evening. That's with doing very little other than reading a few emails, sending a few texts, and of course wasting a bit of time in CB10.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 07:31 AM
    I'm gonna wing a guess here and suggest it's a combination of apps and memory management. I'm seeing a slow but consistent decline in free memory. Fresh after a boot, I have 1.3 gb free; right now that's down to 1gb since Friday evening. That's with doing very little other than reading a few emails, sending a few texts, and of course wasting a bit of time in CB10.

Posted via CB10
    The would make sense.

I deleted BeWeather and no crashes.

Will delete Battery Guru next and add BeWeather again.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 07:36 AM
    I just deleted BeWeather, too. I'll report back... I turned my phone on at 5:00AM this morning and it's rebooted twice already. Let's see if BeWeather is the culprit.

FYI my friend had the same problem, swapped it at our local VZ store, same problem on new device.
    04-01-13 07:39 AM
    I would be quite sad if it's BeWeather.

Fave app.

Posted via CB10
    Itstakenovermylife likes this.
    04-01-13 07:55 AM
    It's related to memory leaks in the system which appear to be related to data connectivity interruptions.

I've been able to trace the behavior somewhat; if I could ssh into the phone I could trace it far more fully, but that's prohibited since there's no root on these devices.

What appears to be happening is that when there is a data connectivity problem or an app that hangs for some reason (incidentally, you can CAUSE this in apps like Flickster -- turn off its permissions and it will hang without giving you the data you're asking for) and then you kill that app the memory it had out is NOT fully released.

When the phone gets critically low on free memory it appears there is a watchdog in the kernel that reboots it. The latter, incidentally, is GOOD (not bad) as the alternative could easily be a deadlock which would be really bad.

The root cause however is misbehaving apps and apparently a bug in the OS that, when those misbehaving apps are closed, does not release all of the allocated memory. This eventually leads to RAM exhaustion and the reset.

I'm still chasing this but this hypothesis looks good. Let's hope Blackberry is looking at the logs that are coming back from devices that have performance monitoring turned on and can find and fix this pronto - it IS a pain in the ***, although I've only caught the phone doing it once (it was in my pocket at the time.)
    Itstakenovermylife and a_w like this.
    04-01-13 08:13 AM
    I would be quite sad if it's BeWeather.

Fave app.

Posted via CB10
    I don't have this app yet I've had a few reboots.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 08:23 AM
    It's related to memory leaks in the system which appear to be related to data connectivity interruptions.

I've been able to trace the behavior somewhat; if I could ssh into the phone I could trace it far more fully, but that's prohibited since there's no root on these devices.

What appears to be happening is that when there is a data connectivity problem or an app that hangs for some reason (incidentally, you can CAUSE this in apps like Flickster -- turn off its permissions and it will hang without giving you the data you're asking for) and then you kill that app the memory it had out is NOT fully released.

When the phone gets critically low on free memory it appears there is a watchdog in the kernel that reboots it. The latter, incidentally, is GOOD (not bad) as the alternative could easily be a deadlock which would be really bad.

The root cause however is misbehaving apps and apparently a bug in the OS that, when those misbehaving apps are closed, does not release all of the allocated memory. This eventually leads to RAM exhaustion and the reset.

I'm still chasing this but this hypothesis looks good. Let's hope Blackberry is looking at the logs that are coming back from devices that have performance monitoring turned on and can find and fix this pronto - it IS a pain in the ***, although I've only caught the phone doing it once (it was in my pocket at the time.)
    Thanks for the update!! Any recommendations on how we could all notify BBRY of the issue? I've called VZ twice, and they know of "no such issue" presently.
    04-01-13 08:36 AM
    Eh - it wasnt Google Talk causing my reboots. I am planning to return for a replacement and hope I just got a bad one.
    04-01-13 08:43 AM
    That appears right BlackBerry has just asked me to contact my carriers so that they could log connectivity.

Posted via CB10
    04-01-13 08:44 AM
    Not really, offhand. I've posted about this on Blackberry's "customer" forum as well.

My guess (and it's just a guess since I can't get into the phone to look at it with a debugger or even with a shell) is that a process' working set is not released if it is blocked waiting on a network resource of some sort, even if the process itself is allegedly killed.

If you could get into the shell I bet you'd find the processes still in the process list and with their working set still allocated (e.g. in a "Z" or "D" state or its analog and RSS non-zero) although the UI and thus your ability to "see" it has been closed. This ought to be reasonably easy to find and fix, but Blackberry needs either logs (which if you have diag info turned on should be being sent to them) or an easily-replicated test case to do so, and someone needs to poke their engineers hard about getting on it.
    04-01-13 08:47 AM
    Just had a hard freeze where the phone would not reboot.

First battery pull.

Posted via CB10
    04-02-13 08:15 AM
91 1234