This has become really quite annoying. Phone operates fine except for what has become at least a daily reboot. I am fan of BlackBerry and BB10 but I do not have the patience to keep doing OS reloads, shimming batteries, etc. just to make this device work properly.

My work phone is an iPhone and I have never had a problem with it. I might have to consider going to the dark side...

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 02:47 PM
    So after switching to a second battery, I only had one random reboot vice multiple. I now switched to a third battery and absolutely no issues.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 04:51 PM
    So after switching to a second battery, I only had one random reboot vice multiple. I now switched to a third battery and absolutely no issues.

Posted via CB10
    So, either a bad or weaker batteries or the new one fits better/tighter and the contacts on the battery meet the ones on the phone better. You could try wedging something to hold the battery(s) so they don't move.
    04-19-14 06:28 PM
    It's got nothing to do with software at this point. Check the battery it's most likely slipping off contacts. This is a manufacturing defect.

There are definitely some devices with hardware issues, but the USUAL explanation is software/OS.

When the random reboot issue was rampant last year, 99% of the people who had the problem saw the problem completely disappear after updating to the fixed OS.

I'm one of them, and I tracked that issue like a hawk here.

Recently, some people with 10.2.1 saw the random reboot issue start again, though not as badly as it was in the early days of BB10 for some people.

I had a friend recently that had gotten a Q10 - activated on AT&T, the slowest carrier in the world to release 10.2 or 10.2.1. So when she got it I put the most current build at the time on there - 10.2.1.2141. She told me recently she was starting to see random reboots. So I updated it to 10.2.1.2228. So far, no reboots. If she goes another week or two without a reboot, I think we will have pretty convincing evidence that we solved that.

I've always updated to the newest OS. Actually the reboots didn't start appearing until after I updated, though that's likely coincidence. It's not a software issue.

I'd be more inclined to think that you're just one of the relatively rare examples where it actually was a hardware issue.
    04-19-14 07:02 PM
    It's unusual that some would get random reboots and others on the exact same version are not.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-19-14 09:07 PM
    It's unusual that some would get random reboots and others on the exact same version are not.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I agree. I haven't had any in months and I've had no issues on the latest TMO official release. It's been smooth as butter. Really weird.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 09:10 PM
    I agree. I haven't had any in months and I've had no issues on the latest TMO official release. It's been smooth as butter. Really weird.

Posted via CB10
    That's the only reason why I think it's a hardware issue. Atleast many have fixed it by fitting a new battery or placing a small piece of paper to push the battery closer to the contacts. Have we heard of a case of reboots with Q5 and Z30?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-19-14 09:14 PM
    I had random reboots too recently since this month. Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141. No random reboots from previous OSes.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-14 09:21 PM
    Honestly... I think the Bberry gods have been restless.
    04-19-14 09:34 PM
    I had random reboots too recently since this month. Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141. No random reboots from previous OSes.

Posted via CB10
    STL100-2 random rebooting off this OS?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-19-14 10:43 PM

Not at all.

The problem with most people who jump to conclusions on something like this is that they don't have a clue of all the variables that can impact something like that.

I never claimed it was solely the OS version that causes random reboots for everyone, but I DO think that certain OS versions are more susceptible to the problem, under the right conditions.

The problem is that most of us don't know what those conditions are, or what triggers it. There are literally hundreds of possibilities, and they all intersect with each other. There are a few things we can observe, a lot that we cannot. (Unless we're a OS developer with root access, a debugger, tons of logs, and a software testing suite. Better yet, an army of diligent beta-testers.)
    04-20-14 07:15 AM

That is precisely the version my friend with the recent random restart issue was running.

Who is your carrier, and which device?

(Edit: I see you have an STL100-2.)
    04-20-14 07:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    Sigh. The reboots seemed to have returned for me, after about a month of no reboots on a new battery. At least they are less frequent. My phone seems to have a hardware issue because no OS yet has eliminated the problem.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-20-14 11:54 AM
    Sigh. The reboots seemed to have returned for me, after about a month of no reboots on a new battery. At least they are less frequent. My phone seems to have a hardware issue because no OS yet has eliminated the problem.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    Which Z10 model?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-20-14 01:10 PM
    Which Z10 model?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    STL100-3/RFF91LW on 10.2.1.2102, running on the Fido network.
    04-20-14 05:10 PM
    Never had a reboot issue until yesterday, thats when I had a few when i was working outside listening to music. Today it has gotten to the point it just reboots over and over again. Cant even keep it booted long enough to do a reload of the OS. I cant see the exact OS but it was the version Verizon released. Have i feeling i am throwing in the towel on it tomorrow.
    04-20-14 09:04 PM
    Never had a reboot issue until yesterday, thats when I had a few when i was working outside listening to music. Today it has gotten to the point it just reboots over and over again. Cant even keep it booted long enough to do a reload of the OS. I cant see the exact OS but it was the version Verizon released. Have i feeling i am throwing in the towel on it tomorrow.
    It will persist unless you get a new battery, then it will be OK for a while, until heat damages that battery too. The root problem is heat. I would be curious to see if different os's have experimented with different cpu voltages
    04-20-14 11:30 PM
    It will persist unless you get a new battery, then it will be OK for a while, until heat damages that battery too. The root problem is heat. I would be curious to see if different os's have experimented with different cpu voltages
    I wonder if gamers have more of a reboot problem? Mine is mostly used for email and news (Facebook, Twitter and Web browsing) with the odd bit of very casual gaming. No heavy 3D stuff for me.

Posted via CB10 on Z10
    04-21-14 12:41 AM
    If you have a chance, try putting the phone in Airplane mode, leave for a while, see if rebooting stops. Long shot.
    04-21-14 04:25 AM
    I cant see the exact OS but it was the version Verizon released.

If it's the original Verizon OS release, that was INFAMOUS for the rebooting problem, I suffered from it continously last year until I finally gave up, installed a newer OS leak on it and never saw the problem ever again.

Verizon has now released 2 different versions of OS 10.2.1 - the more recent one is pretty decent for most people.

I wonder if gamers have more of a reboot problem? Mine is mostly used for email and news (Facebook, Twitter and Web browsing) with the odd bit of very casual gaming. No heavy 3D stuff for me.

Yes, if you do a bunch of gaming or any other type of heavy usage and the device is often heating up very hot it can exacerbate this sort of thing.

Buy Battery Guru and run it in active frame and it will monitor the temp of the device continuously for you and show it in the active frame. It also will help you see your battery drain statistics.
    04-24-14 06:19 AM
    My Z10 with 10.2.1.2941 through Sasktel has a reboot issue as of recent.

It only happens when I receive a text message. I'll feel the phone vibrate in my pocket, and when I press the unlock button or swipe up It will instantly get the red LED and the reboot sequence. This typically happens once every other day.
    06-14-14 02:36 PM
46 12