I get poor mobile reception at work and since I don't need the Z10 while at my desk, I switch it to Airplane Mode. (Essentially, it's on Airplane Mode most of the day.) It usually loses a few percent, 5% or so, of battery life by the end of the day. Twice now, the battery has drained significantly while in Airplane Mode, losing 60-70% in 4 hours, and the phone has gotten hot. It's unclear to me what is causing this. It's certainly not hunting for cell towers, right?

In Airplane Mode,

Mobile Network: Off
    Wi-Fi: Off
    Bluetooth: Off
    NFC: Off

The only thing that might be draining the battery is Location Services (GPS), as that's not part of Airplane Mode. Could this be the culprit?

Z10 STL100-3
    Software Release 10.1.0.4200, OS Version 10.1.0.4780
    11-25-13 03:43 PM
    How new is your phone?

Proud owner of Q10, Z10 and Z30
    11-25-13 03:54 PM
    How new is your phone?
    It's been in use since Nov. 2nd, so 24 days, which I believe is enough time for the battery to settle.
    11-25-13 04:11 PM
    Why not try to turn off location services. I normally turn it off unless I need it - adds a few hours.
    11-25-13 04:47 PM
    Why not try to turn off location services. I normally turn it off unless I need it - adds a few hours.
    I turned Location Services off for today. I just find it odd that out of 24 days of use, I've had two days where the battery drained rapidly... because of Location Services being on? Is there something else going on that I should be aware of? Other than the Hub, nothing else is running.

I can't wait until 10.2.1.X is officially released so that Airplane Mode and Location Services are easily accessible via the drop-down Settings.
    11-25-13 06:02 PM
    Well, Airplane Mode On and Location Services Off resulted in 0% battery drain over 4 hours. I guess Location Services is pretty agressive at trying to get a location fix.
    11-25-13 09:30 PM
    We kinda need to know what version you are running, and what android applications you have installed, side loaded or from BlackBerry World.

I usually suggest to install task manager from BlackBerry World and check out the open processes, it's good at finding android apps hanging out in the shadows.

Posted via CB10
    11-25-13 10:06 PM
    We kinda need to know what version you are running, and what android applications you have installed, side loaded or from BlackBerry World.

I usually suggest to install task manager from BlackBerry World and check out the open processes, it's good at finding android apps hanging out in the shadows.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for reminding me about Task Manager. I found Pulse and Tracks (nogago) running even though there is no evidence of them on the home screen.
    11-26-13 12:51 AM
    Device, Software Release and OS Version in the original post, at the bottom.

As for Android stuff, nothing sideloaded.
    Android Apps preloaded: T-Mobile My Account.
    Android Apps from BlackBerry World: Spare Phone, Truphone, ABC Player, CBS, Discovery Channel, SoundCloud

Thanks for the tip! I installed Taskmanager and found a few Android apps running, mainly T-Mobile My Account and Spare Phone. I killed all the tasks, but it looks like Spare Phone is very persistent, popping up a task called Spare Phone com.guidology.sparephone every once and a while. (I don't think this is the cause of the battery drain though, as Spare Phone has been on my phone since day 1.)

The test for today is to have no Android apps running (except for Spare Phone when it pops up on its own), Location Services On, and see how the battery drains. If the battery doesn't drain much, then it's not Location Services but more likely T-Mobile My Account causing the drain. The test tomorrow will have T-Mobile My Account running and Location Services Off.

-----

Follow-up: No problems with battery drain yesterday. Taskmanager reports Spare Phone and T-Mobile My Account apps running, though randomly appearing and disappearing from the task list. (I've started neither apps. They seem to run something in the background on their own.). 2nd test ongoing...
    Last edited by cbvinh; 11-27-13 at 04:58 PM.
    11-26-13 12:27 PM