Coming from an HTC OneX, I found that I could quickly silence the ringer by hitting the toggle switch on the right side. A one-step process. With my new Z10, the only way I can figure out how to silence the ringer is to go to settings, then notifications, then silence it. By the time I open the device, it's a 4-5 step process. A real pain.
    How does everyone else silence their ringer?
    01-05-14 02:42 PM
    - Swipe down from top of screen
    - touch the Bell icon beside the word Notifications

Silences everything though.
    01-05-14 02:46 PM
    I silent it by the volume down button

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 02:46 PM
    Flip Shush is a nice app to download that can do the trick.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    01-05-14 02:48 PM
    - Swipe down from top of screen
    - touch the Bell beside the word notifications
    Correct. OP note that he said touch the bell -- not where is says "Notifications" beside it. Those are 2 part icons. Touching the bell instantly silences the phone. (Touching notifications takes you in to the more detailed notification settings screen).

So that's not one step. But it's only two.
    01-05-14 02:51 PM
    Plus you can have it change to vibrate only in the same way! I almost never silence my phone but the quick change to vibrate only is welcome for me.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 03:19 PM
    Just to verify, is the OP asking about changing the overall notification settings (which is how everyone is responding), or silencing the phone as its ringing (which how I took the question).

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 likes this.
    01-05-14 03:37 PM
    Plus you can have it change to vibrate only in the same way! I almost never silence my phone but the quick change to vibrate only is welcome for me.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. Another nice touch is you can make the bell touch change it to silent OR vibrate only or anything else. All you need to do is go into the detailed notifications and toggle the setting from say normal to something else. Then save. Then go back in and change it to normal.

Then when you touch the bell it automatically selects the last used alternate setting.
    01-05-14 03:41 PM
    Just to verify, is the OP asking about changing the overall notification settings (which is how everyone is responding), or silencing the phone as its ringing (which how I took the question).

Posted via CB10
    If he just wanted to silence the phone, as it is ringing , he would just need to swipe to answer or swipe to reject the call. One step
    01-05-14 03:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well technically simply touching the screen anywhere instantly silences the "ringing" ringer. I assume since the OP talked about going into settings he/she meant setting it to "silent" or "vibrate" or whatever.
    01-05-14 03:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    I like your thinking: just touching the screen should stop the sound.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    01-05-14 03:51 PM
    I was referring to silencing the phone.....period. I am on .1925, so I can swipe right when I want to silence when it rings. That is a very nice new feature.
    Now that I know the bell is there, I can eliminate about four steps I was doing.
    Still not as quick as my HTC, but it helps. Thanks for the info.
    southlander likes this.
    01-05-14 03:52 PM
    Thanks didn't know this trick !!

White Z30 ROCKS!!
    01-05-14 04:06 PM
    Settings, main volume, turn off alway adjust media volume. It'll now directly modify ringer volume at almost all times.
    01-05-14 05:37 PM
    I don't want the phone to stop ringing if I touch the screen. Is there any way to disable this feature? If it bounces around in my purse it stops ringing and I don't hear it and I'm missing calls.
    01-31-14 04:55 PM
    I don't want the phone to stop ringing if I touch the screen. Is there any way to disable this feature? If it bounces around in my purse it stops ringing and I don't hear it and I'm missing calls.
    It is a capacitive touch screen, which means that it responds when touched by other conductors. That's why it doesn't work when wearing gloves.

Generally, it won't stop ringing if you keep it in a BlackBerry pouch or case, or if touched by non-conductors.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 05:58 PM
    If he just wanted to silence the phone, as it is ringing , he would just need to swipe to answer or swipe to reject the call. One step
    If you are trying to silence the ringer, you only need to touch the screen. The call still remains active, but the notifications stop. You can then choose to accept or reject the call by swiping, if you wish.

I find this handy when I want the noise to stop now, and then to look and see if it is a call I need to take.

Posted via CB10
    Revampd likes this.
    01-31-14 06:03 PM
    The question is can a person turn off that feature?
    scorepion likes this.
    01-31-14 07:51 PM
    What I need is an easy way to keep it from ringing. Going through the settings is still too many steps.
    01-31-14 08:10 PM
    I've noticed that too. Sometimes getting the phone from my pocket makes me wonder if I hung up, but it is nice for it to stop making noise when I'm trying to answer.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 08:11 PM
    Use the volume down button until it goes to vibrate or silent. Pretty simple. Just do it ahead of time and no need to worry

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 08:12 PM
    Swipe down from the top and there is a quick button for notifications. If its not there, you can go to the new quick button feature in the settings (with the latest software update - just did mine today) and click it so it is there. Then you just have to swipe, click and change it to the notification you want.
    01-31-14 09:50 PM
    The question is can a person turn off that feature?
    The question had an explanation of the concern which is based on a misunderstanding of the technology; hence my explanation.

No, I do not know of a way to turn off this feature.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:52 PM
    What's in your purse that's capacitive?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 11:58 PM
    I understand how the technology is SUPPOSED to work, but when weird things happen I look for explanations. I don't have any other reasonable explanation as to why it doesn't ring sometimes. Is this a known glitch? My ringer is always on, I don't change the notification settings and I don't change the volume. I normally notice the missed call when I hear another notification for a BBM or text, so notifications are on and working. I would say this happens once a week or every second week.
    02-01-14 09:40 AM
27 12