I am not sure if someone talked about this. You press volume key all the way down to change to silence mode and press volume up to change back to normal. Hope this is a little help.
    02-18-13 02:56 AM
    I am not sure if someone talked about this. You press volume key all the way down to change to silence mode and press volume up to change back to normal. Hope this is a little help.
    HATE HATE HATE this.

This stupid horrible poorly thought out "feature" works while your phone is locked without even turning the screen on.

What this means is your phone can go silent in you pocket while locked and you will miss calls and messages.

This also means it can come off silent or off vibrate only while in your pocket and you can have your phone ring while in a meeting, movie theater, etc.

This also messes up the setting toggle that goes between Normal and your last used profile, because then it will toggle between Normal and Silent.

HATE IT!

Blackberry Please give us an option to turn off this incredibly horribly terrible feature.
    02-18-13 04:15 AM
    Wow, do you also hate freedom?

:P
    02-18-13 04:17 AM
    He can hate freedom fries - they're EVIL
    02-18-13 04:20 AM
    Wow, do you also hate freedom?

:P
    No apparently Blackberry does.

Instead of giving us the freedom to choose whether we want this feature turned on our off they have taken away our freedom to choose and have forced this upon us. Clearly Blackberry hates freedom.
    02-18-13 04:22 AM
    I installed 10.0.10.261 and it still behave that way. I use a holster so it doesn't really affect me but I can see why this can be annoying.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 07:58 AM
    I also posted this in tips section....
    Not sure if this is new or not but I often just need to switch between normal sounds and vibrate only (for meetings etc). To quickly do this from the drop down menu, just initially set your preferences in the settings menu but before leaving the menu, select vibrate or silent or any other mode than normal. Close out of the settings menu and on your main screen swipe down and click on the notifications icon. This will now toggle between normal and your last setting. Method seems to work most of the time.

Sent from my Z10
    02-18-13 08:04 AM
    Tried this and it works, thanks!
    Now i can toggle between normal to vibrate

Posted via CB10
    02-18-13 08:13 AM
    HATE HATE HATE this.

This stupid horrible poorly thought out "feature" works while your phone is locked without even turning the screen on.

What this means is your phone can go silent in you pocket while locked and you will miss calls and messages.

This also means it can come off silent or off vibrate only while in your pocket and you can have your phone ring while in a meeting, movie theater, etc.

This also messes up the setting toggle that goes between Normal and your last used profile, because then it will toggle between Normal and Silent.

HATE IT!

Blackberry Please give us an option to turn off this incredibly horribly terrible feature.
    That might explain why I lose sound from time to time...
    02-18-13 08:21 AM
    Works great! thanks!

I also noticed how the notifications icon "x'd" out shows up when in silent mode so you can tell right away where you are at.
    02-21-13 11:20 AM
    Awesome tip! Thanks so much. I used to use the "q" key which took me between vibrate and normal for meetings etc... not that swiping down and changing it took that much time.. I was just lazy about it.
    02-27-13 10:59 AM
    Note that this tip does not work through a reset. It defaults back to silent. You need to go back and set to vibrate again...

Posted via CB10
    02-27-13 07:33 PM
    i heard the app hub++ can disable the volume rocker when the screen is off but it has to be an active frame. dont take my word though
    02-27-13 08:29 PM
    i heard the app hub++ can disable the volume rocker when the screen is off but it has to be an active frame. don't take my word though
    Hello there. Just went to a new q10 which is updated as of today. If I hit the rocker it won't silent it just moves my media volume. Any ideas? I loved the silent switch on my iphone and my BlackBerry Bold had a quick drop menue to change ringer profiles quickly too. Is this an oversite?

I also don't seem to be able to independently adjust phone ringer and notification volumes like I could on the bolds.

Lastly (probably not lol) can I dedicate the mid volume rocker button to something else besides voice control?? It would be a nice silent or quick launch for something.

Thanks!
    05-26-13 09:19 AM
    This doesn't work on my phone. Unless just turning the volume off is what you are talking about. It doesn't say that I'm in silent mode. It doesn't work when the screen is off either like a couple people mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:30 AM
    This doesn't work on my phone. Unless just turning the volume off is what you are talking about. It doesn't say that I'm in silent mode. It doesn't work when the screen is off either like a couple people mentioned.

Posted via CB10
    What you need to do is hold the down-volume rocker until it shows silent, take your finger off it and press it again for "mute". Seems a little weird.
    05-26-13 09:52 AM
    Thus has been changed in 10.1, it acts strictly as media volume. Very happy

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 09:59 AM
    Ok I am running 10.1 that is why it doesn't work on mine.

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 10:12 AM
    In settings -> main volume, you have the option to turn off "always adjust media volume". Defaulted on, in 10.1... I was so relieved to find and kill this setting. now it's easy to un/silence my phone and the volume rocker will still adjust media vol when media is playing.

Posted via CB10
    gusmuh likes this.
    06-21-13 10:48 PM