Hi guys,

I recently got a battery bundle charger for my Z10, but there are few things I haven't been able to figure out yet:

1) How long does it take to charge the bundle?
    2) Does the indicator become steady green once fully charged? How do I know that it's fully charged?
    3) Why is there a button with indicator? Does it ever become stable or has any other function than just indicate the level of charge?

Any details regarding these questions are highly appreciated. Thanks

Posted via awesome Z10! Connect at pin:24C83E54 follow @ anubhavnagpal and subscribe to my channel C0001C740
    12-22-13 03:33 AM
    It'll be fully green when 100% - The button is to check the battery if not charging and taken on the go - Takes a few hours to fully charge

Looking for the real Vijik...
    12-22-13 04:47 AM
    The LED flashes either yellow or green depending on how low the battery charge is. The LED will stay solid when battery is fully charged.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 04:48 AM
    Cool. So now it's on charge for few hours and is flashing green light for more than an hour. That means it's in the range of >75% however not fully charged, right? It should be solid green and steady when it's 100 %?

Posted via awesome Z10! Connect at pin:24C83E54 follow @ anubhavnagpal and subscribe to my channel C0001C740
    12-22-13 07:45 AM
    Cool. So now it's on charge for few hours and is flashing green light for more than an hour. That means it's in the range of >75% however not fully charged, right? It should be solid green and steady when it's 100 %?

Yup.
    12-22-13 07:50 AM
    Cool. But how long does it take to charge fully?

12-22-13 08:02 AM
    Cool. But how long does it take to charge fully?

It's about 3 hours for me. Sometimes I pull it off the charge when still flashing green and my phone says it's 100% when I put it in it.

Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    12-22-13 08:08 AM
    It's about 3 hours for me. Sometimes I pull it off the charge when still flashing green and my phone says it's 100% when I put it in it.

Cool. Thanks

12-22-13 08:14 AM
    Hey guys, after using the bundle for around a week, I'm facing a weird issue.

It takes around 3 hours to fully charge (steady green) so I assume that battery should be charged to 100%. However, when I plug the bundle to my device, it only charges it around 40-50% (increase in battery percent as looked at battery guru).

Any ideas or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

12-29-13 12:12 AM
    You're not doing anything wrong. Usually, once it chargers and you have it hanging around with you it loses charge on its own. Not saying it loses 40-50 percent, but it does lose charge.

I found that charging the phone with the bundle doesn't give you the full 100%. I just swap the batteries when my phone is dying. It's usually around 90% when I swap opposed to charging from the pack to 70%.

Posted with a flick of my thumb via CB10
    12-29-13 12:22 AM
    Just get a powerbank instead. :-)

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 03:03 AM
    I do not encounter this problem. Mine always fully charged at 100%.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 03:08 AM
    Just get a powerbank instead. :-)

Posted via CB10
    What's a power bank?

12-29-13 03:11 AM
    Hey guys, after using the bundle for around a week, I'm facing a weird issue.

It takes around 3 hours to fully charge (steady green) so I assume that battery should be charged to 100%. However, when I plug the bundle to my device, it only charges it around 40-50% (increase in battery percent as looked at battery guru).

Any ideas or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Just swap the batteries, that's what I do. No issues. I don't see the point of plugging the bundle into the phone unless you're doing something critical at the time.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    12-29-13 03:53 AM
    When you connect bundle to your phone you are effectively sharing the full charge of one battery between two batteries so the reading of 50% sounds entirely logical. I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and carry it at work so I never, in theory, am stuck with a dead phone

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 04:25 AM
    Remember when you plug the bundle into the phone you're doing two things:

1. Powering the phone.
    2. Charging the battery.

The laws of thermodynamics prevent you from getting a "free lunch" -- that is, there is always loss on all energy conversions. In this case there are two conversions -- the circuit that takes battery chemical energy expressed as voltage and current at the terminals (~3.7v nominal) and upconverts to 5V at the charger plug, and again at the phone when the energy coming in the socket is converted to chemical energy in the battery.

If both are 90% efficient you'd get about 81% of a full charge from a flat battery in the phone from a full one in the charger.

If you wish to evade those conversion losses just swap the batteries in the phone.
    12-29-13 08:04 AM
    Remember when you plug the bundle into the phone you're doing two things:

1. Powering the phone.
    2. Charging the battery.

The laws of thermodynamics prevent you from getting a "free lunch" -- that is, there is always loss on all energy conversions. In this case there are two conversions -- the circuit that takes battery chemical energy expressed as voltage and current at the terminals (~3.7v nominal) and upconverts to 5V at the charger plug, and again at the phone when the energy coming in the socket is converted to chemical energy in the battery.

If both are 90% efficient you'd get about 81% of a full charge from a flat battery in the phone from a full one in the charger.

If you wish to evade those conversion losses just swap the batteries in the phone.
    Thanks man. I'm not the smartest in thermodynamics and only scored a C. Lol. But I do understand the logic now. Appreciate it.

Appreciate help from the above posters too.

12-30-13 12:02 AM
    swapping the batteries gives you nearly twice the charge
    12-30-13 01:33 AM
    A tip from the charger bundle I use on my Q10:

I used to charge the battery in the charger and then leave it in the charger to carry it around with me as a spare once it was fully charged.

However, it seems that leaving the battery in the charger after it is charged drains the battery a LOT faster that taking the battery out of the charger once it is charged.

I am guessing that because the battery contacts are still in contact with the charger that it causes a low level of drain that is noticeable after about a week.

So, I now charge the battery and then remove it from the charger - seems to hold charge a LOT longer.

Also - bit of BlackBerry trivia... my Q10's external battery charger also charges my BlackBerry Playbook ;-)

Oh, and the Q10's external charger also charges the Z10 when plugged into the Z10 with the Q10's battery.

A HUGE mystery to me why RIM didn't just have ONE battery for the Q10 and the Z10. If they'd picked the higher capacity Q10 battery for both devices they would have reduced the inventory cost for the retailers and made a replacement battery easier to come by, perhaps reduced overall manufacturing costs (economies of scale) and had a Z10 with better battery life. Life I said, a mystery to me why they didn't...
    12-30-13 05:23 AM
    A HUGE mystery to me why RIM didn't just have ONE battery for the Q10 and the Z10. If they'd picked the higher capacity Q10 battery for both devices they would have reduced the inventory cost for the retailers and made a replacement battery easier to come by, perhaps reduced overall manufacturing costs (economies of scale) and had a Z10 with better battery life. Life I said, a mystery to me why they didn't...
    Batteries in cellphones are an engineering problem that gets rather interesting. You have to figure out how to lay out the components, meet RF requirements (legal and operational) and then fit the battery of the desired size into the phone as well.

Some of them, on disassembly, are interesting in the trade-offs made and how they accomplish all of that. The Samsung SGS 2 is one of them that I find very interesting in terms of the engineering, particularly the backplane connections and the fact that they're separable without cables, plus the easily-removed main board -- it's layout and shape -- and the NFC antenna in the battery. Some others are far-more straightforward -- the Z10 is pretty easy to service, for example, while there are a number of others I've had apart that are very difficult to take apart and reassemble successfully.

I like what BlackBerry came up with on the Z10. I've not yet had a Q that required disassembly, and there's only one guy I know of who posted some pictures of the Z30 (which looks pretty repairable as well.)
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    12-30-13 07:28 AM