Hello all

I am considering a Z10 when I am to replace my iPhone 4S this summer. But what I like about iOS is the OS and apps update functionality.

I live in Norway and the Z10 sold here are unlocked and SIM free. Not connected to any operator.
    On the iPhone I get a notification symbol if any installed apps have updates or if there is a new iOS version. I just click and all is done automatically.

How does this work on the Z10 ? How can the Z10 be upgraded when there are no operators pushing out new version ? By laptop or will OTA updates for the OS work here as well.

My wife has a WP 7.5 phone (Samsung Omnia W). The 7.8 version of the OS is available but since no operator is pushing it (unlocked phone as well) it is not available as OTA. We have to connect to a PC (which is ok I guess) and then do a lot of connecting and disconnecting to make sure that the update software "finds the firmware upgrade". All because the phone is unlocked. This is not ok !!

So how does this work on an unlocked Z10 with BB10 ? Seamless like on the iPhone or .....?
    05-07-13 10:24 AM
    You get a notification in the Hub if there is an update - I suspect the reminders get pushed on a regular basis as you can be quicker by manually checking.

Having said that, even the old BlackBerry OS phones notified the user about any application updates.
    And the OS updates are also pointed out in the Hub on BlackBerry 10 - or you can check manually as well, or install leaks

Posted via CB10

Edit:
    An unlocked BlackBerry will check with the operator it is currently on, but people have upgraded by removing the sim when carriers did not pish out updates.
    05-07-13 10:43 AM
    Apps are controlled through BlackBerry World. BB World will push app update notifications to the BB10 Hub. All you have to do is select update or ignore it.
    Edit, sorry but I just realized you meant OS updates.
    05-07-13 10:44 AM
    Thanks both. Actually I meant both OS and apps updates.

A follow up question to make sure I understand correctly. If the operator I am on does not push out OS updates, I have to remove the SIM to check ? Or can I use PC/MAC software (like Blackberry Link) to get the latest version ?
    05-07-13 01:36 PM
    Thanks both. Actually I meant both OS and apps updates.

A follow up question to make sure I understand correctly. If the operator I am on does not push out OS updates, I have to remove the SIM to check ? Or can I use PC/MAC software (like Blackberry Link) to get the latest version ?
    If the operator decides not to push out an OS update because they are too incompetent or think they have to "test" everything first, yes I believe that is the current situation. Or you get the autoloader from another carrier if it is available, BUT that wipes the phone in the process while a regular update (over the air) or via Link (with or without SIM) will retain your data.
    05-07-13 02:02 PM
    If you don't. Get the updates just buy a sim from other cellular or from other country.
    I will send you one from the Netherlands!

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 02:23 PM