One thing I can't understand. QNX makes mission critical firmware/software, stuff that can't freeze. Then why is it that i get phone reboots every couple of days. i know it is related to bluetooth or some app like slacker or tune in radio. Shouldn't it just dump the process and continue working instead of rebooting. It doesn't help to my cause when i am talking up QNX as a godsend for BBRY. although i believe QNX and TAT are great reasons to believe in bbry.
    04-16-13 08:45 AM
    lol

I used to think QNX was going to really change things because on paper it sounds pretty crazy. Like you said, QNX is behind some mission critical stuff where the risk of failure is too high, yet in 2013 Blackberry cannot build on top of QNX to ensure things don't lock up.

I've not personally had any reboots (UK Vodafone), but have had certain apps freezing, which meant a manual reboot was required.

Recently I noticed a new bug... swiping up from within an app would not respond, but the app and volume rockers would work as normal. So I was left trapped within the app and with no way out lol Manual reboot required there too.
    04-16-13 09:09 AM
    You will probably find the mission critical QNX operations are on a very simple and stripped down OS. Designed and streamlined for a specific function.

There is so much going on with your phones OS. Different radio's 3rd party applications. Etc. For a new OS its not surprising it needs a reboot every now and then.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 09:14 AM
    not too many times that my phone froze happened to me a couple times and another one this morning when I tried to put an appointment with a daily recurrence. When I tap save the screen kind of white out a bit and the round thing turning for ever..anyway after 5 minutes I had to do a reboot and redo it again
    04-16-13 09:32 AM
    lol

I used to think QNX was going to really change things because on paper it sounds pretty crazy. Like you said, QNX is behind some mission critical stuff where the risk of failure is too high, yet in 2013 Blackberry cannot build on top of QNX to ensure things don't lock up.

I've not personally had any reboots (UK Vodafone), but have had certain apps freezing, which meant a manual reboot was required.

Recently I noticed a new bug... swiping up from within an app would not respond, but the app and volume rockers would work as normal. So I was left trapped within the app and with no way out lol Manual reboot required there too.
    You can press and hold the middle volume key it will boot you out of whatever app your in and open voice control then all you need to do is exit voice and close the app that is now an active panel.

Posted via CB10
    imz likes this.
    04-16-13 10:42 AM
    Also, keep in mind that NOT EVERY Z10 is rebooting. In fact, just a fraction of sold units are doing that.

So yeah, QNX is rather stable. But NOT OS is invulnerable to issues (Android and iOS are perfect examples).
    04-16-13 10:47 AM
    Money had never rebooted. Then again I shut it down at night so daily it gets a fresh start...

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 10:54 AM
    Need work on my typing and proof reading. Should say My z10 does not reboot!

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 10:56 AM
    If the hardware, especially the storage, is not working properly, any OS is going to reboot on purpose.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump

Z10 via T-Mobile (10.0.10.85)
    04-16-13 10:57 AM
    I would imagine the reboots are the core ui software or drivers going "Well something in me is completely screwed, time to reboot."

The actual OS probably doesn't crash but restarts because it was told to. The freezes are probably the logic somewhere in the front end freezing.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-13 11:16 AM