Random rebooter with a Z10 on VZW stepping up.

What follows is an unelaborated summary of phone conversation with VZW tech support regarding the reboot issue.

Became tired of the random reboots. Decided to pursue tech support. Spent considerable time talking to level 1 tech detailing total unpredictable randomness of reboots, including Z10 crapping out on the road, and how both mine and my girlfriend's phones rebooted within two minutes of each other while standing in our office the morning I made the call.

Tech support tells me I am the first person to ever have such a problem with a Z!0. I've caught them in a lie. Hackles rise, but the dude abides. Without invoking crackberry I mention at least two threads on their forums discuss the problem. "Oh, we've got a blackberry rep involved in that." Wonderful.

Tech support offers me the deal of sending in my phone, having it looked at, then replaced. If I want a new phone in the meantime, I will have to pay another $1200 for two phones. If they don't think we broke the phones, they'll credit my account.

A short summary of my reaction: NFW. (Longform was more polite and rife with "unacceptable.") I spent another hour talking to level two tech support who was supposedly conferencing with a Blackberry tech support. I never spoke to the BB tech. L2 tech claimed BB also had no reports of random reboots on VZW models. Indignation followed by suspicion on my part.

I have to explicitly state we'll leave VZW, that our ETF is nothing, and they've already screwed us to the tune of $1200, so why would we want to gamble another $1200 when we could make better on a loss by going with another network. Finally argued the L2 tech into contacting the local store and agreeing to have them swap out our phones on-site and deal with the device return on their own. The tech claimed since the devices were purchased outright this was permissible. (Did you actually look at the account when we began this portion of the conversation an hour ago? Oh JFC hobbling around a high school gymnasium on a pair of borrowed crutches trolling for braces fellatio) I go to the store and almost have to go through the same thing again, but finally management intervenes, says tech support shouldn't have done this, etc.

Anyway, success achieved at tiresome cost. I've had one reboot since restoring my accounts and apps. If it reboots again tonight, I will try wiping and reloading the OS and re-adding all my data from scratch. The other phone has not had a reboot yet. Too soon to tell, but these phones heat up less than the pre-order models we received. I want to practice amateur trepanning under the influence of alcohol now.
    04-14-13 11:00 PM
    Best of luck. It will be interesting to see what you post as a follow up!
    04-14-13 11:04 PM
    I'm fresh off a reboot with AT&T so I'll feel your pain.
    04-14-13 11:06 PM
    Good job, I can't begin to tell you how many times I went through a similar carrier experience. Actually ill tell you a funny one.

Rogers tech support promised to give me a free unlock for my phone, which is an50 dollar fee. A month passes and I see the fee on my bill. After speaking to fifty agents I get someone from retention who claims that the agent that promised me the free unlock never left any notes. I get annoyed and request the transcript since I know I can get them and all calls are recorded. See its not about the fifty dollars its about the lies and wasting of time. Anyway she tells me that they can't give transcripts and tries to give me a run around by redirecting me to the "Contact Us" section on the website where I may be able to find the address after filing a complaint. But she gets messed up by her own scheme. While on the phone I actually log in and try to fill a complaint like she said. Except the form asks 'have you spoken to a manager' when I told her I have two options either put Jo at which point she has to transfer me to a manger or out yes and write in the mangers name she got nervous. After half a hour on hold while she conferred with a supposed manager she comes back and issues me a fifty dollar credit.

These people are crooks. They will lie, they will make their coworkers pretend they are managers they will do anything.
    Don't give up!

Posted via CB10
    suzicat likes this.
    04-14-13 11:08 PM
    When I spoke to vzw last week I ran down the list of things I'm not going to do (reboot, battery pull, wipe and reload) before they even began speaking. I let them know I did the research and gave it a week before deciding to give them a call. They did **** me off telling me that I need to buy the replacement and then have it Refunded when they got the old device back (they used to just bill your account). They ended up putting a note on my account so that when I went to the store instead to make the change I wouldn't have to explain it again.

This one has rebooted three times since Friday. Trying a new sd card tomorrow.

Posted via CB10
    04-14-13 11:23 PM
    Wow, I had the complete opposite experience with VZW. My wife and I both bought brand new Z10s. Mine works fine, but the first time she tried to take a picture she realized her camera didn't work. She brought it in to the VZW store and they swapped it out for a new one, no problem. They even transferred her contacts and were apologetic about the problem. I'm totally satisfied with that response.
    04-14-13 11:42 PM
    Wow, I had the complete opposite experience with VZW. My wife and I both bought brand new Z10s. Mine works fine, but the first time she tried to take a picture she realized her camera didn't work. She brought it in to the VZW store and they swapped it out for a new one, no problem. They even transferred her contacts and were apologetic about the problem. I'm totally satisfied with that response.
    To be fair, we were two days past the magic fourteen, so I expected some resistance, but we also pay for full replacement insurance and extended warranty. If nothing else we should have been offered a warranty replacement as an immediate solution.

Regardless, some virtue of customer service prevailed, and I'm satisfied for now. The warranty route has been confirmed as the next course of action by all consulted.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    04-15-13 12:08 AM
    To be fair, we were two days past the magic fourteen, so I expected some resistance, but we also pay for full replacement insurance and extended warranty. If nothing else we should have been offered a warranty replacement as an immediate solution.

Posted via CB10
    Although you may have full replacement insurance, be prepared to pay a deductible when you replace a damaged phone through insurance.
    04-19-13 07:48 AM
    Deductible /= Full Retail Price

Update:

Reboots recurred on the 2nd unit. Went through customer service again. Experience was far more pleasant and productive this time. I spoke to blackberry cs and was able to send them logs and have the information examined while I was on the phone. BlackBerry couldn't figure it out and told Verizon to send new phones. On to phone 3...

Posted via CB10
    04-21-13 08:03 PM