Didn't work for me

Did you do a security wipe first? (I didn't)

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 01:23 AM
    No, didn't do a security wipe. I made a full backup first before updating the OS through BlackBerry Link.

First thing I did out of curiosity was firing up BBVE to check the sensors.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 02:50 AM
    Well... that lasted less than 24 hours. Light and Proximity sensors are down again.

If I only could find out what I was doing when it stopped.....

Edit:
    After 4-5 reboots it's working again. Keeps me wondering what's going on with the sensors...

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by TwoRS; 02-20-15 at 08:13 PM.
    02-20-15 03:20 PM
    I still think it's software related. It's too much of a coincidence that it started working for you after an OS update and then again after some reboots.

Wish BlackBerry would look into it but when I reported it to them via twitter they just gave me scripted answers until I gave up.

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 06:57 AM
    I still think it's software related. It's too much of a coincidence that it started working for you after an OS update and then again after some reboots.

Wish BlackBerry would look into it but when I reported it to them via twitter they just gave me scripted answers until I gave up.

Posted via CB10
    I agree that it's software related in combination with the magnetic sensor.

Today I dug deeper in this problem when it happend again.
    I've put my phone on my laptop, near the speaker, when suddenly the screen went black. Picked it up again, screen lit up and sensors were gone.
    Somebody somehow figured this out earlier in the thread.

This is what I think is going on:
    1. The magnetic force disables the screen (similar to the magnetic holster thing) as well as the proximity and light sensors.
    2. Moving the phone away from the magnetic force enables the screen again, but not the sensors

Managed to restore the sensors like this:
    1. Turned off the phone holding the top button.
    2. When turning it on, I put a magnet under the phone (near the usb/hdmi connectors), holding the top button for a long time until the BlackBerry logo is visible.
    3. When the phone is fully operational I checked if the sensors are working in BBVE.

Have to say it's a bit trial & error, but after a few times it worked for me.

Can't imagine that BlackBerry isn't able to figure this out....
    SparrowhawkMMU likes this.
    02-21-15 08:10 AM
    I'll give that a go. I use the BlackBerry magnetic holster, so that might be the common factor. If I can get the sensors working again using your method I'll try using another case for a bit to see whether that helps

Thanks for the guidance. I'll let you know how I get on.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 05:09 AM
    Please let us know

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 05:29 AM
    No joy. I tried three times, placing the magnet in slightly different places each time.

I'll have a few more goes later on. But so far this trick has alas not worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 06:21 AM
    No joy. I tried three times, placing the magnet in slightly different places each time.

I'll have a few more goes later on. But so far this trick has alas not worked for me.

Posted via CB10
    Sorry it didn't work out for you, but I start to doubt if the solution I gave is the right solution. Within 24 hours the sensors are gone again and couldn't restore it with my own steps...

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 02:03 PM
    10.3.1 has fried my sensors. Everything else is perfect with this update except this. Wtf?!?!!

It was fine 2 days ago when I was on 10.2.1
    Proximity sensors still NOT working on my Z10-img_20150222_211928.png

Please help

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 03:38 PM
    Hey no problem - not your fault. Thanks for sharing your findings so far.

Wish somebody at Crackberry would pick up on this and speak to BB. I'm not sure how to flag this up to the editors though. I tried going direct to BlackBerry a while ago but was fobbed off with scripted answers.

I would have thought it would be newsworthy enough as it seems to affect so many people.
    TwoRS likes this.
    02-23-15 02:34 AM
    10.3.1 has fried my sensors. Everything else is perfect with this update except this. Wtf?!?!!

It was fine 2 days ago when I was on 10.2.1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150222_211928.png 
Views:	324 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	336059

Please help

Posted via CB10
    Sorry to hear that - welcome to our world of frustration

It seems to affect Z10s only and then sometimes intermittently. Opinion is divided as to whether it's hardware or software related. My guess is software as the sensors fail / restart after major software releases it seems.
    02-23-15 02:36 AM
    Hey no problem - not your fault. Thanks for sharing your findings so far.

Wish somebody at Crackberry would pick up on this and speak to BB. I'm not sure how to flag this up to the editors though. I tried going direct to BlackBerry a while ago but was fobbed off with scripted answers.

I would have thought it would be newsworthy enough as it seems to affect so many people.
    I understand your point... it's already over a year I'm dealing with a very bright display, battery draining and occasionally working sensors.

And we are not the only ones with this problem...

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 11:15 AM
    After a year of having this issue, and looking for a software solution for the issue, last night I replaced the sensor hardware with a stock sensor and my problem solved. I recommend this replacement and you stop looking for a software solution.
    The sensor costs 7 $ if you can disassemble your phone by urself.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 02:00 PM
    After a year of having this issue, and looking for a software solution for the issue, last night I replaced the sensor hardware with a stock sensor and my problem solved. I recommend this replacement and you stop looking for a software solution.
    The sensor costs 7 $ if you can disassemble your phone by urself.

Posted via CB10
    I replaced my sensors on my Z30. But I spent 12 dollars for the entire assembly that included the battery and sensors.

For the Z10, I was wondering if the sensors are built into the screen section?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KBM...UvbUpU11391452

Someone else has dead sensors on their Z10 and I wasn't sure if the sensors were part of this or not. It looks like the sensors are in here by looking at the second picture. I have my old sensors for the Z30 and it doesn't look like they are removable without damaging something.

If this entire piece could be replaced and it includes the sensors it would be a pretty easy procedure for people.

Z30STA100-5 /10.3.1.2267 / T-Mobile USA
    02-23-15 02:19 PM
    Thank you for helping. That's what I need to know, if the sensors come with the housing :/

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 02:23 PM
    I replaced my sensors on my Z30. But I spent 12 dollars for the entire assembly that included the battery and sensors.

For the Z10, I was wondering if the sensors are built into the screen section?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KBM...UvbUpU11391566

Someone else has dead sensors on their Z10 and I wasn't sure if the sensors were part of this or not. It looks like the sensors are in here by looking at the second picture. I have my old sensors for the Z30 and it doesn't look like they are removable without damaging something.

If this entire piece could be replaced and it includes the sensors it would be a pretty easy procedure for people.

In Z10, ambient light sendor, proximity sensor, phone speaker and headphone jack are a single replaceable package.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 02:49 PM
    So that piece isn't included in the link I posted?
    If not, could you post where you got your part?

A lot of people could use your expertise. I can talk someone through the Z30 but have no idea about the Z10.

02-23-15 03:23 PM
    https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Blac...Teardown/13445

You can see the part in this link. If you search ambient light sensor blackberry z10 you can see more photos and Web shops.

You can also look up " disassemble BlackBerry z10" in Google videos and you will see some good videos. Disassembly is not too hard if you have hands involved in fixing things. You will need a T4 screwdriver.

I used the sensor package of a broken z10 .

The link was wrong and I just updated my text.
    Important: according to the link I provided in step 13, removing and replacement of the sensor is explained ed. You DO NOT need to remove the screen. Just after you removed the motherboard go for the sensor kit. So, from step 10 jump to step 13.
    And don't forget to watch videos on YouTube first.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by habibvalil; 02-23-15 at 04:13 PM.
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-23-15 04:01 PM
    So that piece isn't included in the link I posted?
    If not, could you post where you got your part?

A lot of people could use your expertise. I can talk someone through the Z30 but have no idea about the Z10.

No that is not included in the link you provided.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-15 11:20 PM
    Thanks for the link. After looking at the adhesive, etc, I'm not sure if I'd do this repair. The Z30 is so simple in comparison.

Well, I'd give it a try if I didn't have a warranty and had nothing to lose. But I'd say that this is a step or two beyond what I had to do.

Maybe there is a video of the removal of that part. How did you remove it? Whenever there is adhesive I get worried I'm going to make things worse.

Do you have a link to where this part can be purchased if someone wants to try it?

Proximity sensors still NOT working on my Z10-img_20150223_234617.png

02-23-15 11:50 PM
    You are welcome.
    I don't know where you can buy it. I was worried about the adhesives too, but that was not too tricky. The part is not too fragile. I don't think there is a movie showing its removal.
    If you have warranty then what are you waiting for!? Get your phone fixed for free. As soon as you open the back screws you will lose the warranty because one of the screws is factory sealed.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 09:36 AM
    Hello I just began experiencing this issue, did anyone eventually solve it plsssssss.
    12-05-15 03:35 PM
    Hello I just began experiencing this issue, did anyone eventually solve it plsssssss.
    You might get it solved if you don't use a case with magnets anymore.(if you do now)
    I know it sounds illogical, you expect problems to start immediatly after you use a case with magnets and you expect the sensor fail consequent. Well, it don't. For me problems appear months later and for once in a while. Give it a try if you use a case with magnets.
    12-07-15 01:00 PM
174 ... 567