HI guys, really need help.
    Using my blackberry Z10 from the first day of Launch in London!!!
    love it, it's perfect, but for the last couple of days, maybe after the last software update to 10.0.10.90 (os version 10.0.10.690), don;t really remember, i'm constantly pressing something when on a call. I'm assuming something happened to my proximity sensor.
    i haven't dropped the phone, neither i have any kind of protectors on the screen.
    Don;t know should i go to the Carphone and ask for a refund or the new software that's coming will resolve this ?
    Thank you for help!!!
    04-20-13 06:58 AM
    Try this and give me the result

Call someone and while in the call, go in a dark place then look carefully at your ambient detector... is it look like it's blinking a little bit? Then when you end the call. It stops?

Posted via CB10
    Aleksandr Trubach likes this.
    04-20-13 07:12 AM
    i'm afraid there is no blinking
    04-20-13 07:17 AM
    I do remember, that when it was working, i saw the blinking couple of times.
    Try this and give me the result

Call someone and while in the call, go in a dark place then look carefully at your ambient detector... is it look like it's blinking a little bit? Then when you end the call. It stops?

Posted via CB10
    04-20-13 07:30 AM
    Have you tried rebooting the phone??, if not try that. Also what apps have you got installed?? any android ported apps??. Reason i ask is because i know someone who had issues with their earpiece while on the phone and they wiped their device clean and the issue went away...when she started installing her apps back, she found it was one particular app that was causing issues with her z10....as far as i know it wasnt a native app.

So what id do in your case is reboot the phone and see if the issue is still there...if it is then wipe your device, back up your data before you wipe then again see if you have the same issue. If you dont then you know its an app causing an issue, then its just a case of figuring out which app is causing the problem ie install each app one by one and see if the issue occurs.
    Yes its a bit long winded but its the only way you will know for sure that if its a phone issue or app issue. Because the last thing you want is to take it back to carphone warehouse and for them to turn round and say theres nothing wrong with the phone. Btw CPW wont refund or give you a new one, if you have had the phone since launch....they will send it off for repair which will take a few weeks.
    04-20-13 07:36 AM
    great man, yeah i did reboot the device it didn' t help. i think you are right, cause i have only one port which is ******* instragram, that couldn't do their own app. Since i've installed it phone behaved strange.
    Hah, if i delete only that should it help, or i definately have to wipe the phone ?

Have you tried rebooting the phone??, if not try that. Also what apps have you got installed?? any android ported apps??. Reason i ask is because i know someone who had issues with their earpiece while on the phone and they wiped their device clean and the issue went away...when she started installing her apps back, she found it was one particular app that was causing issues with her z10....as far as i know it wasnt a native app.

So what id do in your case is reboot the phone and see if the issue is still there...if it is then wipe your device, back up your data before you wipe then again see if you have the same issue. If you dont then you know its an app causing an issue, then its just a case of figuring out which app is causing the problem ie install each app one by one and see if the issue occurs.
    Yes its a bit long winded but its the only way you will know for sure that if its a phone issue or app issue. Because the last thing you want is to take it back to carphone warehouse and for them to turn round and say theres nothing wrong with the phone. Btw CPW wont refund or give you a new one, if you have had the phone since launch....they will send it off for repair which will take a few weeks.
    04-20-13 07:47 AM
    great man, yeah i did reboot the device it didn' t help. i think you are right, cause i have only one port which is ******* instragram, that couldn't do their own app. Since i've installed it phone behaved strange.
    Hah, if i delete only that should it help, or i definately have to wipe the phone ?
    Well if thats the only app you have installed and since then your phone has been acting weird then delete it and see if it fixes your issue...if it doesnt then as i said wipe the device and see if that fixes it without installing any apps then one by one install your apps and see which one is causing the problems. It could be that none of your apps are causing an issue and it might be the phone itself but without wiping and installing each app one by one, you wont really know.

But in my opinion i think alot of these android ports and sideloaded apps are whats causing alot of issues on peoples phones. Ive had mine for over a mth and so far havent had any issues *touch wood*.
    04-20-13 07:57 AM
    thank you for your help, will work on it!!
    also, question as the only owner of a blackberry between my friends.
    What's your most favorite feature ? And do you have a lot of BBM contacts ? or i'm the only one who has 4
    Well if thats the only app you have installed and since then your phone has been acting weird then delete it and see if it fixes your issue...if it doesnt then as i said wipe the device and see if that fixes it without installing any apps then one by one install your apps and see which one is causing the problems. It could be that none of your apps are causing an issue and it might be the phone itself but without wiping and installing each app one by one, you wont really know.

But in my opinion i think alot of these android ports and sideloaded apps are whats causing alot of issues on peoples phones. Ive had mine for over a mth and so far havent had any issues *touch wood*.
    04-20-13 08:08 AM
    thank you for your help, will work on it!!
    also, question as the only owner of a blackberry between my friends.
    What's your most favorite feature ? And do you have a lot of BBM contacts ? or i'm the only one who has 4
    Hope you manage to solve it and fix it .

My favourite feature?? has to be the keyboard and the camera with the timshift feature. I dont really use BBM, i only have a few people on mine but its not something i use alot of.
    04-20-13 08:13 AM
    Mate, i've done everything, but the problem is still there.

Hope you manage to solve it and fix it .

My favourite feature?? has to be the keyboard and the camera with the timshift feature. I dont really use BBM, i only have a few people on mine but its not something i use alot of.
    04-20-13 01:29 PM
    Mate, i've done everything, but the problem is still there.
    Ahh that sucks, looks like you will have to take it back and get it repaired
    04-20-13 01:37 PM
    and it reboots too, just occasionally ! without me knowing
    04-20-13 02:15 PM
    I have the same problem! How did you fixed it in the end?
    07-15-13 12:09 PM
    I have the same problem! How did you fixed it in the end?
    I didn't, still suffering from that. I'm done mate there's been lots of updates it still there.
    07-15-13 12:17 PM
    I have the same problem. I don't know how I missed this thread when I did a search. [Yeah, I really do try not to start new threads.] Odds are your proximity sensor is fine. In this thread there is a link to an Android app that tests all the sensors in the phone.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...tector-828209/
    Obviously you need to know how to side load apps. This app will probably show that your proximity detector is working. You will note that you can also just use the camera in another phone to detect the infrared light from the proximity sensor. If you make a call, you will be able to see the light.

On my phone, I have concluded the sensor works based on the Android app, and the sensor is being operated during a phone call based on using the camera from another phone to detect the sensor being exercised. What isn't happening is the phone software isn't using the output of the proximity sensor to kill the screen during a phone call.

I have also started a thread on the blackberry forum. Although the forum is not supported by Blackberry employees,sometimes they chime in.
    Proximity detector not being used by phone - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

The problem I see here is not everyone who has a problem with the proximity detector knows they have a problem. You can still make phone calls, but once in a while your face will trigger something on the screen.
    07-16-13 01:36 AM
    As a follow up, the latest T-mobile update 10.10. 4200 fixed the proximity detector problem. As I surmised, it was software related.
    09-05-13 07:00 PM
    Spoke too soon. Now the proximity detector isn't working. Perhaps some app effects the software?
    09-09-13 09:02 PM
    Hello I too have BlackBerry Z10 and live in London. I sadly have to say that the phone is a big disappointment for me.
    Among many bugs and problems I encountered, PRESSING SCREEN WITH MY FACE during phonecall was the most obvious and stressing one.

Its very emarasing some times and some times I cant even end call because the screen locked (2min of not pressing any button option).

What I can sefely say is that "android ported apps" are not the problem. Because I have none of them and still have the issue.
    I am planning to take the phone to Carephone and ask for repair, cnew z10 or change in model. Shame for BlackBerry I liked ky old Bold9900.

Posted via CB10
    09-11-13 04:44 PM
    Hello I too have BlackBerry Z10 and live in London. I sadly have to say that the phone is a big disappointment for me.
    Among many bugs and problems I encountered, PRESSING SCREEN WITH MY FACE during phonecall was the most obvious and stressing one.

Its very emarasing some times and some times I cant even end call because the screen locked (2min of not pressing any button option).

What I can sefely say is that "android ported apps" are not the problem. Because I have none of them and still have the issue.
    I am planning to take the phone to Carephone and ask for repair, cnew z10 or change in model. Shame for BlackBerry I liked ky old Bold9900.

Posted via CB10
    Once the call is established, just press the button on the top of the phone. It kills the screen. Now I never had the screen locked. I just press the button on the top of the phone, the screen lights up, and I end the call.

However, this proximity detector issue needs to be addressed. I have some time tomorrow and will call tech support. Otherwise, my phone is pretty much bug free. I was hoping the maintenance release would have fixed the problem.
    09-12-13 12:49 AM
    you don't have to sideload an android app. blackberry has their own diagnostic tool - blackberry virtual expert on bbw.
    09-12-13 01:18 AM
    you don't have to sideload an android app. blackberry has their own diagnostic tool - blackberry virtual expert on bbw.
    I have the Blackberry virtual expert app as well. It isn't quite as good as the sideloaded app since it is uses a pass/fail test. The side loaded app gives a linear reading as you vary the distance to the sensor.

I spent some time, OK a lot of time, working on this with tech support. As I expected, the first step they suggested was to reload the OS. I did this. Needless to say that is a PITA. The downloads took a long time, though I just set it up and let it run overnight. After the reloaded OS, the proximity detector didn't work. I called tech support and eventually made it up to real (versus T-mob) Blackberry support. Nobody had logged this problem. During the call, a test of the proxmity detector indicated it was working. Annoying, but I got an incident number anyway since I was pretty sure it would stop working. I restored the phone email accounts and apps. The detector went back to not working again. I called support and sent a log. It will be reviewed and I should hear back in a few days if they found anything.

Since you can use another phone to sense if the proximity detector is on, i.e. pulsing infrared light, I did some experimenting. One thing I have noticed is they do not turn off the proximity detector if the display is on. I don't know if this is a feature. That is to say, if you have a phone that is working normally, then any covering of the detector could blank the display if they set up the software to do so. If that isn't the case, then it seems like a waste of power to run the proximity detector except during a phone call.
    09-13-13 04:26 PM
    yah that's annoying. intermittant issues are hard to troubleshoot, especially over the phone.
    09-13-13 10:27 PM
    yah that's annoying. intermittant issues are hard to troubleshoot, especially over the phone.
    In this case, the proximity detector WORKS intermittently, so it shouldn't be that hard to diagnose. If it FAILED intermittently, that would be another story.
    09-14-13 12:07 AM
    And the saga continues. Blackberry has looked at the logs from my phone and determined the proximity detector issue is hardware related. All I can do is shrug since it sometimes works. In fact, it was working when I got the call from Blackberry, but then stopped working during the call.

They are going to replace the phone, but of course there is no assurance in these situations that you get a new phone. You can also get a refurb. I am going through with the replacement, and hopefully I will get a Z10 as good as the one I have now, sans the proximity detector issue. I have had none of the issues reported on the forum like random resets, short battery life, etc.

I will follow up in two to three weeks regarding the replacement phone. Most Z10 owners are still under warranty, so if this is really a hardware issue, best to get working on getting a replacement. That is, Blackberry will have to tell your carrier that the phone is defective.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-27-13 03:04 PM
    Well new phone, same problem. I had my doubts it was a hardware issue since the proximity detector passed the virtual expert program.

Stay tuned.

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 12:38 PM
38 12