Hi,

I'm new here on CrackBerry and am the proud owner of a Z10, as a substitute for my good old 9780. I want to find out whether you can help me understanding what exactly happens after I turn on my Z10 or after closing apps.

I noticed that during idle/standby mode, my phone dissipates about 30mW (according to BatteryGuru). But to reach that low-power state, it can take up to 10-15 minutes after switching on the device. During this phase, the battery goes from 100% to 98%, since the amount of power is between 0.5W and 2.0W. I observed the same behavior when I close the browser or any other app, although be it a bit shorter (let's say < 5 minutes). I am wondering what the phone is doing during these phases. Does anyone know? Is it normal to take that long to reach the low-power state? Does yours show the same behavior?
    05-04-13 05:14 AM
    Same behaviour by me, also if im using it after a full charge goes quickly from full to 90%. Even if im not using it the top few percent will drop a bit quick sometimes until it settles.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 05:39 AM
    As to why it takes time to get to that steady state i don't know why

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 05:41 AM
    First off, don't rely too much on the battery %. It takes a while to settle.

Just like a desktop or laptop PC, a lot of things happen on your Z10 during or just after startup. We don't know exactly what, but these are very probable:

• checking whether SIM or SD card were swapped while powered down
    • hunting for and connecting to cellular, wifi, bluetooth networks,
    • updating system time, date, location,
    • logging in to (and checking for updates in) mail, calendars, contacts, Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, BBM, Dropbox, Box, BlackBerry Link, BB push services,
    • checking for OS and app updates
    • starting up many server processes, such as wifi access, DLNA, BlackBerry Bridge,
    • sending diagnostic data to BlackBerry, if you have that option enabled,
    • re-indexing photos and media files if needed,
    • lots of housekeeping stuff: removing temporary files, cleaning up PIM databases, checking security settings...

Similarly, during shutdown many things happen too.

As for apps - they are built on various runtimes (Cascades, AIR, HTML5, Android) which may remain running for a little while in case you decide to start another app. Especially Android apps tend to linger, because the Android runtime takes a long time to start up.
    05-04-13 08:12 AM