Hey everyone,

So I recently put a yahoo business email on my z10 and I've realized that when I get my messages on my phone they don't come in as a new item, but already as a read item. Which means I don't even know when I get them because I don't receive any indication of something new on my phone.

I currently have this account also in Outlook as well and I have gone through all the settings to see if there is anything in there making them come in as "read" to my phone but I couldn't find anything.

I never had a problem with an old yahoo account I used to have on this phone. Any new messages would come in just fine, and I would have the vibrate or whatever go off for new messages.

Anyone know how to fix or what the problem is? I just want to be alerted when I receive a new message like normal.

Thanks guys
    05-06-13 09:07 AM
    Can you explain what you mean by this:

I currently have this account also in Outlook as well

That may have something to do with it.
    05-06-13 07:02 PM
    They do. I use outlook to do all the emailing while at work. I was on the phone with Yahoo business for about an hour and we figured out if Yahoo or my phone refreshes first and receives a message it will come up as a new/unread message. But when outlook sends/receives messages and gets it, both yahoo and my phone then once it refreshes it then gets marked as read. Even if I don't open it on outlook, just the fact that outlook has received it, makes it a "read" item in both yahoo and on my phone.

So with this being the case, is there anyway around this, anything i can turn off, or is this just what I will have to deal with since I'm using outlook?

Can you explain what you mean by this:

That may have something to do with it.
    05-06-13 10:11 PM
    They do. I use outlook to do all the emailing while at work. I was on the phone with Yahoo business for about an hour and we figured out if Yahoo or my phone refreshes first and receives a message it will come up as a new/unread message. But when outlook sends/receives messages and gets it, both yahoo and my phone then once it refreshes it then gets marked as read. Even if I don't open it on outlook, just the fact that outlook has received it, makes it a "read" item in both yahoo and on my phone.

So with this being the case, is there anyway around this, anything i can turn off, or is this just what I will have to deal with since I'm using outlook?

It sounds like you're using Outlook as a POP client.

That's a common issue with POP if you are using multiple client systems. And if I recall correctly, "Yahoo Business Email" may only support POP as a retrieval protocol for non-web access. If so, there may not be much you can do about that directly. (On some platforms, Yahoo makes a dedicated email client app that I believe also works with their "Business email", but Yahoo hasn't bothered to do that for Blackberry 10.)

There are some more complex things you can do, like auto-forwarding email from Yahoo to another service, which you pickup on the Blackberry. Or you could just leave Outlook off or turn off automatic polling for messages and just do it when its time to archive things in Outlook.

With a syncing email protocol like IMAP or Exchange ActiveSync, you wouldn't have this issue, and each client device/computer would see the same mailbox contents. But some people don't like to use that sort of system and some email systems don't support it. Regular Yahoo email supports IMAP, but the email notification time is slow on Blackberry 10 (and every other common smartphone platform's native email clients except Apple) because Yahoo uses a proprietary push email system that only Apple supports natively these days.
    05-06-13 11:00 PM
    Regular Yahoo email supports IMAP, but the email notification time is slow on Blackberry 10 (and every other common smartphone platform's native email clients except Apple) because Yahoo uses a proprietary push email system that only Apple supports natively these days.
    Hey Omnitech, so is BB10 able to use IMAP for Yahoo mail? I thought it was only POP.
    05-06-13 11:49 PM
    Hey Omnitech, so is BB10 able to use IMAP for Yahoo mail? I thought it was only POP.

Yes, I have IMAP working on my Z10 for my own Yahoo account.

The downside these days (as mentioned above) with Yahoo on BB10 is there is no "push" like the old Blackberries - it polls the server at minimum 15 minute intervals. Blackberry no longer codes Yahoo's proprietary push technology into Blackberry 10. The only common smartphone platform that supports that right now is Apple.
    05-07-13 12:13 AM
    Yes, I have IMAP working on my Z10 for my own Yahoo account.

The downside these days (as mentioned above) with Yahoo on BB10 is there is no "push" like the old Blackberries - it polls the server at minimum 15 minute intervals. Blackberry no longer codes Yahoo's proprietary push technology into Blackberry 10. The only common smartphone platform that supports that right now is Apple.
    Any idea why their method of push isn't baked into the OS? Maybe I overlooked something, but it seems that Yahoo push is not supported in 10.1 either.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-13 02:45 PM
    Any idea why their method of push isn't baked into the OS? Maybe I overlooked something, but it seems that Yahoo push is not supported in 10.1 either.

I can only speculate because I don't work for the company and there is no public statement on such things. But I would guess it has something to do with not wanting to code a bunch of proprietary things into the product for a variety of reasons, and just stick with publicly documented and widely used communication protocols.

It's also possible that Yahoo got more restrictive with licensing or something. The current CEO of Yahoo is not exactly known as one of Blackberry's biggest supporters, for example.
    05-07-13 03:13 PM
    I can only speculate because I don't work for the company and there is no public statement on such things. But I would guess it has something to do with not wanting to code a bunch of proprietary things into the product for a variety of reasons, and just stick with publicly documented and widely used communication protocols.

It's also possible that Yahoo got more restrictive with licensing or something. The current CEO of Yahoo is not exactly known as one of Blackberry's biggest supporters, for example.
    Now that you mention it, I'd put my money on the latter. Marissa Mayer seems to have a vendetta against BlackBerry. I suppose that high licensing fees may be a strategy to turn Yahoo's ship around, and of course Apple would have the money to pay.
    05-07-13 08:04 PM