It would be quite possible to do the updates by writing to a simcard first. And maybe BlackBerry should offer that as an option. But not every person has a spare sdhc or enough room on one to hold the OS.

As it is, OS updates are written to a temporary partition and are not "finalized" until the device has successfully booted several times since the update. I think this entails moving the OS over to the "permanent" partition from the "temporary" partition once it seems to be running stable.

But that doesn't address the less catastrophic data corruption that might occur. The OS might boot and run mostly fine, but still have corrupted user data.

Case in point: when BlackBerry released the 10.1 "MR" series, they apparently changed the location or configuration of the SMS database and apparently either didn't account for this in the update logic or did not do it in a foolproof way. So MANY people lost all of their stored SMS messages as a result of that OTA update. I know of one person that lost ~10,000 messages. Worst of all, even if they had done a backup previously using BB Link, the data was not restorable, because the location or nature of the destination db had changed from the OS version that was backed-up to the version that was now running and it would not accept the restored data.

I had this exact problem myself at the time. (Though I don't do OTA updates, I did the equivalent using Sachesi.) I had to restore all my SMS using a 3rd-party tool that I had used as a precaution to back them up prior to the update.
    03-20-14 06:35 PM
    It would be quite possible to do the updates by writing to a simcard first. And maybe BlackBerry should offer that as an option. But not every person has a spare sdhc or enough room on one to hold the OS. On a mobo, the do dual bios, but the amount of data to store is small.

Posted via CB10
    The simcard can only hold MB of data....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-20-14 07:02 PM
    The simcard can only hold MB of data....

I have a feeling he meant flash memory card.
    03-20-14 07:35 PM
    I have a feeling he meant flash memory card.
    Yes sdhc. A lot of devices use a scheme where you load an image to the sdhc, then the sdhc writes to on board flash. Canon cameras for instance. Some SBCs.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-14 08:03 PM
    Has anyone succeeded with Skype working in the newest Tmobile update 10.2.1?

Still doesn't word for me. Uninstalled and reinstalled... still doesn't work. Just getting a blank screen when it is launched.
    03-23-14 09:05 AM

Still doesn't word for me. Uninstalled and reinstalled... still doesn't work. Just getting a blank screen when it is launched.
    Skype, Waze and My T-Mobile apps still don't work for me. I get the same blank loading screen.
    03-29-14 12:21 PM
    Skype works for me. I'm still going to do a fresh install of 10.2.1 my hub gets stuck and doesn't update my messages nor does it let me send any. It's not frequently but it is annoying when it happens

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 01:33 PM
    Did anyone experience lower volume on speakers after the latest 2156 update? Or am I imagining things because I am spoiled by Z30's speakers?
    03-30-14 12:24 AM
    After updated official OS10.2.1.2102. Swipe setting of Wallpaper is no working! Alternatively, Change of Screen wallpaper has to hitting picture file !

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 01:12 AM
    I updated from an autoloader install of 10.2.1.1925 but I had no problems at all. Didn't even seen to have to reindeer much or anything. I think a clean install is best. BlackBerry needs to get the updates right, it's a little too common for data to get messed up somehow and cause huge drain on people's devices. BIG problem.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:04 AM

Yup works great for me. Just installed it and logged in.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:09 AM
    My android ports still don't work. I tried wiping the device and the apps would work, but once I restore my back-up file, the apps stop working again. Any idea how to fix this, maybe manually re-install the android loader or whatever you call it?
    04-26-14 09:37 AM
    My android ports still don't work. I tried wiping the device and the apps would work, but once I restore my back-up file, the apps stop working again. Any idea how to fix this, maybe manually re-install the android loader or whatever you call it?
    I don't know what you mean by "Android ports".

1. Android apps distributed via BlackBerry World?
    2. Android apps converted to BB10 BAR and sideloaded onto the device?
    3. Android apps in APK form installed manually on the device?
    4. Android apps in APK form installed from Google Play using the Snap app?
    5. Google apps in APK form installed using some other on-device app store? (ie 1Market, Amazon, etc)
    05-06-14 04:00 AM
    I don't know what you mean by "Android ports".

1. Android apps distributed via BlackBerry World?
    2. Android apps converted to BB10 BAR and sideloaded onto the device?
    3. Android apps in APK form installed manually on the device?
    4. Android apps in APK form installed from Google Play using the Snap app?
    5. Google apps in APK form installed using some other on-device app store? (ie 1Market, Amazon, etc)
    Android apps distributed via BlackBerry World, which is my only source for apps.
    05-08-14 02:14 PM
    Skype, Waze and My T-Mobile apps still don't work for me. I get the same blank loading screen.
    How comfortable are you installing an android app? Because I'd install Google's latest version of Waze via Snap. I've tested several times between the Android port version and Android app. The android port uses 32-35% of battery per hour while navigating; the android app uses ~20%.

I assume your backup is done via BlackBerry Link? I've never done a backup as I kept reading it's very troublesome. If your backup is glitched before your reload, then it will just corrupt your OS again after reloading. Sounds like that's what happened here. You said everything was fine until you restored your backup.

What do you backup for anyways? Apps? Media? Contracts?

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 03:19 PM
    How comfortable are you installing an android app? Because I'd install Google's latest version of Waze via Snap. I've tested several times between the Android port version and Android app. The android port uses 32-35% of battery per hour while navigating; the android app uses ~20%.

I assume your backup is done via BlackBerry Link? I've never done a backup as I kept reading it's very troublesome. If your backup is glitched before your reload, then it will just corrupt your OS again after reloading. Sounds like that's what happened here. You said everything was fine until you restored your backup.

What do you backup for anyways? Apps? Media? Contracts?

Posted via CB10
    I back everything up via link. Never really had trouble until now. I backed up my phone immediately after the OTA update, which means I backed up the problem as well.

I've never used snap and never sideloaded anything either. All my apps are from BlackBerry World.
    05-08-14 06:35 PM
    I back everything up via link. Never really had trouble until now. I backed up my phone immediately after the OTA update, which means I backed up the problem as well.

I've never used snap and never sideloaded anything either. All my apps are from BlackBerry World.
    So there isn't anything you backup in particular? For instance, in my case, the only thing I back up is done via iPhoto. I don't save text messages, but that can be done via SMS Backup app. Contacts automatically backup if you have either Gmail, Outlook, or Yahoo hooked up. As for apps, BlackBerry already has a list of your downloaded apps once you're logged in.

Unless you have else that absolutely requires BlackBerry Link to backup, I wouldn't touch it with a 6ft pole.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-14 07:40 PM
    Android apps distributed via BlackBerry World, which is my only source for apps.
    Well that's good then, because you can easily uninstall and re-install them using BlackBerry World. If you paid for any of them you will not have to pay again. The only thing you might lose are data saved by those apps, ie game progress or bookmarks or something like that.

Just remove them in BlackBerry World "My World" using the "Uninstall" option (which may preserve data), and then reinstall from the "Available" list in My World.

If it still doesn't work, remove again using the "Delete" option (which probably erases saved app data) and then reinstall from the "Available" list.
    05-08-14 09:51 PM
    Well that's good then, because you can easily uninstall and re-install them using BlackBerry World. If you paid for any of them you will not have to pay again. The only thing you might lose are data saved by those apps, ie game progress or bookmarks or something like that.

Just remove them in BlackBerry World "My World" using the "Uninstall" option (which may preserve data), and then reinstall from the "Available" list in My World.

If it still doesn't work, remove again using the "Delete" option (which probably erases saved app data) and then reinstall from the "Available" list.
    I've done all of those several times and it didn't work. According to several other posts here on CB, the 10.2.1 OTA update messed up the android runtime on some devices and the only way to fix it is to side load android runtime. Or wipe the phone and start from scratch. I don't want to do either, so I guess I'm screwed.
    05-09-14 01:01 AM
    I've done all of those several times and it didn't work. According to several other posts here on CB, the 10.2.1 OTA update messed up the android runtime on some devices and the only way to fix it is to side load android runtime. Or wipe the phone and start from scratch. I don't want to do either, so I guess I'm screwed.
    I can't see loading another android runtime being a recommended method. Read this: http://m.crackberry.com/having-issue...21-update-read

Your problem is you don't want to lose your data just to get your android port apps working. Well, your choice is either 1.) do another clean wipe and start from scratch, or 2.) follow that link, send in your log and hope they'd come up with a solution. Otherwise, not only you can't restore your data but also you'd be without your android port apps. It's a lose-lose decision.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 05:18 AM
    I can't see loading another android runtime being a recommended method. Read this: http://m.crackberry.com/having-issue...21-update-read

Your problem is you don't want to lose your data just to get your android port apps working. Well, your choice is either 1.) do another clean wipe and start from scratch, or 2.) follow that link, send in your log and hope they'd come up with a solution. Otherwise, not only you can't restore your data but also you'd be without your android port apps. It's a lose-lose decision.
    If it really is a common problem with recent OS builds, and he has tried those other things, re-loading the Android runtime BAR files should not have any effect on existing Android app data. (assuming it's intact)

Using Sachesi to do that is really not difficult at all. The most critical thing is loading the proper runtime files. I keep seeing people being told to install random mismatched Android runtime BARs... good way to go from the frying pan into the fire...
    05-09-14 06:47 AM
    I can't see loading another android runtime being a recommended method. Read this: Having issues with your Android Runtime not working after the 10.2.1 update? Read this! | CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    According to the link, enough logs have been collected. And yes it is a lose-lose situation. I'll just have to wait for an official fix to come out soon. Or move on and get an HTC M8.
    05-09-14 11:13 AM
122 ... 345