Nokia just released its sales, and the results were pretty grim -- continued losses and continued erosion of its financial position. While they sold 5.6 million Lumias worldwide, most of those were low-end, low-margin devices, and their featurephone business essentially collapsed.

The thing that caught my eye, however, was the DISMAL sales of Lumias in North America. In the entire recently-ended quarter, Nokia barely sold 400,000 Lumias across their three major US carriers and its Canadian carrier partners.

Sales have been so poor at T-Mobile that the Lumia 810, launched just five months ago, has already been EOLed and is being replaced with the Lumia 520 -- a very low-end "prepaid" device.

Given Nokia's collapse in the USA and the fact that it owns the lion's share of the Windows Phone market, I think it's safe to say that BB10 will be a solid third place in North America -- outselling Windows Phone 8 by at least a 2:1 margin in the quarter ending in June.
    mrzeolite and SDTRMG like this.
    04-18-13 09:25 PM
    No disrespect intended but. . .
    Did I miss something. . .when did Blackberry lose third place to have to now take it back???
    04-18-13 09:36 PM
    No disrespect intended but. . .
    Did I miss something. . .when did Blackberry lose third place to have to now take it back???
    BB10 certainly wasn't in third place prior to this quarter.

BB7 is a totally different matter.
    04-18-13 09:41 PM
    Tbh I feel quite sorry for them as u can see they did put a lot of hard work into it... my mum saw my uncles lumia and she was very interested (she's using iphone 4s but never used it to its fill potential)... i think nokia was aiming at the wrong market they should, with their phones simplicity go for the 'older' less techy people ( no offence to all u experts here) who does value a good camera where they can take pictures of their grandchildren and show it off to their friends!

Posted via CB10
    04-18-13 09:52 PM
    Actually, what I read, was the Lumia (cross-markets) was selling well. It's everything else they have that's dragging them down:

Nokia sales tumble overshadows Lumia pick-up | Reuters
    04-18-13 09:59 PM
    Lumia sold okay in some European countries -- sales in North America were awful.
    04-18-13 10:02 PM
    BB10 certainly wasn't in third place prior to this quarter.

BB7 is a totally different matter.
    Who counts it separately. . .? Never heard anyone rank say iPhone 4S with the 5 . .. just saying. . .
    04-18-13 10:25 PM
    Who counts it separately. . .? Never heard anyone rank say iPhone 4S with the 5 . .. just saying. . .
    those are devices. BB7 and BB10 are completely different platforms.

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    TWISM and brmiller1976 like this.
    04-18-13 10:29 PM
    those are devices. BB7 and BB10 are completely different platforms.

Posted with my AT&T BlackBerry Z10
    made by the same company who's TOTAL market share is what's being discussed. . .
    R Field likes this.
    04-18-13 11:26 PM
    ^^ he's right

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 12:20 AM
    Total market share is irrelevant. The important thing is market share for BB10. BB7 has no real future.
    04-19-13 12:46 AM
    made by the same company who's TOTAL market share is what's being discussed. . .
    total market share? You don't want to compare with nokias Total market share (incl non smartphones)...
    04-19-13 12:49 AM
    You really have to feel for Nokia and Microsoft. Nokia's hardware has been top notch, I really like the 920 despite all the naysayers but Microsoft hasnt been invested enough in the platform, the updates havent come nearly fast enough for a young platform and the apps havent been coming either.

Microsoft had a decent starting off point but they havent evolved the platform enough to become a real player. It may be because they were trying to borrow as much tech from Win8 as possible but Nokia has done more to make the platform appealing than they have. Theres definitely potential for Microsoft to still do well but they really have to step up the game and put some real developmental muscle into the platform. It is the software holding it back the 920 is beautiful in my opinion and if they can make it thinner and lighter to make it appeal to the Galaxy people it will only get better (I really really dont understand the desire of making a phone as thin and light as possible, how weak are people these days)
    04-19-13 02:01 AM
    I'm assuming we are talking about total smartphone market share...I agree that BB7 has very little long term value but is still presently relevant (especially since BB has consistently been selling so called "Outdated" hardware at numbers at or higher than WP's more "Modern" devices...
    Prediction: BB10 took third place in North America this quarter-us-market-intelligence.jpg
    Picture is from this slide deck here:BusinessInsider.com The future of mobile slide deck

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by AfroZepher; 04-19-13 at 03:32 PM. Reason: pic added
    04-19-13 03:20 PM
    So what? You can look at things in different ways to gather different information. In this case, looking at quantitative numbers of BlackBerry 10 and Lumia, we can can separately gauge bb10 performance compared to all of BlackBerry, which can be useful information. Calm down.

Posted via CB10
    04-19-13 06:00 PM