I just found out that with 16:9 (the default) the images are only 6MP. Switching to 4:3 gives the full 8MP, so the starting resolution on this one is better, and the aspect ratio matches the "target" image.

Attachment 133561
    anyone who says this camera is awful is factually wrong, this compressed example is perfectly clear and acceptable.

Thanks for all the pics Peter can u please show a before and after of the auto-enhance please and thank you.
    02-01-13 11:16 PM
    I just found out that with 16:9 (the default) the images are only 6MP. Switching to 4:3 gives the full 8MP, so the starting resolution on this one is better, and the aspect ratio matches the "target" image.
    NICE! Thanks for looking into it. The colors also look a lot warmer (better in my opinion) on the second one, did you change any settings to get that?

Thought about this one, maybe BBRY just needs to change the defaults so the camera can have its best foot forward, regular people not on Crackberry are not going to spend time comparing shots and testing different settings before they decide on a device.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-01-13 11:55 PM
    Thanks for all the pics Peter can u please show a before and after of the auto-enhance please and thank you.
    Which auto-enhanced do you mean? The only enhanced/adjusted photo in the entire thread (from me) is the original one, and I did post the full res original for it a few posts after the OP.

The one of the 9900 isn't modified at all, other than CrackBerry's compression to 800px.

xiaohuaxing, no changes in settings per se, though I obviously changed my angle and distance (trying to match yours more closely) and both times I did drag the focus square a bit off-centre. This has the effect not only of moving where the focus point is (obviously) but also results in the exposure algorithm being run on the selected region, and both are then locked (as I understand it). Possibly slight differences in the exposure between the two resulted from that, and explain the color differences. May also just be the angle and the light? But I was only a few inches away from the first position... don't have experience enough with this stuff to theorize more.

I expect we will see changes in a future release to improve any areas that truly are showing up as weaknesses, whatever they may be.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    02-02-13 12:13 AM
    Which auto-enhanced do you mean? The only enhanced/adjusted photo in the entire thread (from me) is the original one, and I did post the full res original for it a few posts after the OP.
    Notice the enhance tab 2 in from the bottom. I have seen an auto enhance option, I'm curious what the post processing baked into bb10 does to the photos it takes, not the artistic filters (basically make the photo look better not different).
    Post photos taken with the Z10-photo_editor_edit.jpg
    02-02-13 12:23 AM
    not sure if someone mentioned this already (i only looked at the 1st and last page of this thread) but there is a huge z10 review by crackberry kevin on the home page of this site and he shows several pics taken with the z10 and comparing it to the lumia,iphone5,and Gs3...maybe he didn't adjust any settings at the time but the z10's pics weren't all that great on most test shots...personally, i will only have my 9700 to compare it to so i'm sure they will look great to me when i get it in March. ;p
    Paulct likes this.
    02-02-13 04:12 AM
    How did you get the Z10 Peter?
    02-02-13 09:37 AM
    not sure if someone mentioned this already (i only looked at the 1st and last page of this thread) but there is a huge z10 review by crackberry kevin on the home page of this site and he shows several pics taken with the z10 and comparing it to the lumia,iphone5,and Gs3...maybe he didn't adjust any settings at the time but the z10's pics weren't all that great on most test shots...personally, i will only have my 9700 to compare it to so i'm sure they will look great to me when i get it in March. ;p
    Yeah I saw it when it was posted. There were a lot of comments on it.
    02-02-13 11:00 AM
    I'm baffled by these pictures people have kindly posted. Not bad... but for the specs stated by BBRY, I would have expected much better.

Like the cat picture, that's a very cute cat but sorry, a terrible quality picture. Not something I would have expected from a f/2.2 lens, which is as fast as the Lumia 910's top of the class camera. The Z10 lens is not Carl Zeiss but as far as I can see, hardware-wise there's no reason why it shouldn't perform as well as the Lumia. I really hope this is some kind of rendering/processing/software issue than can be fixed with updates.
    Actually if you look at Peter's Cat picture as he downloaded on his image hosting service(there's a link on pg 3 of this thread) it looks 10x better. Oddly the Lumia 920's camera is far from perfect under normal conditions.It seems to need a software update too. I still can't believe BBRY didn't include Panorama as picture setting option.
    jdm joe likes this.
    02-02-13 11:40 AM
    ^Yeah, I was expecting BB to include Panorama. It's almost a standard feature on high-end phones nowadays. Personally, I would have liked to have it on the Z10. Can that come later as a software update or does it need special hardware?
    02-02-13 11:52 AM
    ^Yeah, I was expecting BB to include Panorama. It's almost a standard feature on high-end phones nowadays. Personally, I would have liked to have it on the Z10. Can that come later as a software update or does it need special hardware?
    Yes it can come later in an update, it is not hardware related.
    02-02-13 11:53 AM
    Lol, agreed.

I don't and never will use my phone to take important photos. I have an awesome digital camera for that. No phone, imo, is as good as a digital camera. I will continue to take use my phone to take photos of my cat.
    Exactly, it seems like if certain people want their cel phone to replace their dedicated P&S or DSLR's. I will continue to say the same thing, "great" cel phone pictures are taken only to be enhanced (filled with image noise and filters) and posted to social networks. So why are certain individuals complaining when the Z10 is just making that process easier. Instagram anyone? lol
    olderbudwiser likes this.
    02-02-13 12:11 PM
    Panorama was displayed on bb10 already so they just haven't released the app yet I'm guessing but there's a video somewhere in the forums showcasing the feature
    02-02-13 12:15 PM
    One thing I noticed on the Giz review is that they said they were taking shots with the volume up and down buttons. On the PB that is a screen shot is it now diffeent on the Z10 (BB OS10 devies)? Aren't screen shots a lower quality than actual camera images?
    meganVee likes this.
    02-02-13 01:32 PM
    Panorama was displayed on bb10 already so they just haven't released the app yet I'm guessing but there's a video somewhere in the forums showcasing the feature
    Here is the first one I found. It doesn't show the 360 degree option.

02-02-13 01:33 PM
    One thing I noticed on the Giz review is that they said they were taking shots with the volume up and down buttons. On the PB that is a screen shot is it now diffeent on the Z10 (BB OS10 devies)? Aren't screen shots a lower quality than actual camera images?
    No you're misunderstanding. You still press the volume up and down keys simultaneously to take a screen capture on the BB10 devices. However, when you are in the camera and want to take a picture, you can either tap anywhere on the screen OR also press either volume button. Not both at the same time though. That would only give you a screen shot as I have already stated.
    02-02-13 01:40 PM
    No you're misunderstanding. You still press the volume up and down keys simultaneously to take a screen capture on the BB10 devices. However, when you are in the camera and want to take a picture, you can either tap anywhere on the screen OR also press either volume button. Not both at the same time though. That would only give you a screen shot as I have already stated.
    Yup, just reread it. Thanks.
    02-02-13 02:06 PM
    Here is the first one I found. It doesn't show the 360 degree option.

Ah, forgot about this. Great! I don't mind waiting for the update.
    02-02-13 03:05 PM
    Interesting... Who is to say that they did not take a screen shot instead of a picture? I do not trust Gizmodo therefore I can see them deliberately doing something to fudge the cameras ability.
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    02-02-13 06:13 PM
    hi guys, the one thing i miss about my 9700 is its ability to take very good macro shots. i am talking about macro shots that shows the detail of the dial of a watch (my fave target/model). with the the 9900, i lost this feature. can anyone share some macro shots of watches showing its dials?

thanks
    02-02-13 06:50 PM
    Very few people will care or realize the quality of their phone photos when they're not comparing them side-by-side to another phone like the blogs do.
    Or unless they see sharper, better exposed, better saturated, better white balanced unfiltered photos on social networks, or get sent to them by their friends. You'd be surprised. I know I used to not care about smartphone optice around 2010-2011 (barely used my smartphone camera), but after I started using it I started noticing the differences and now yes it's a huge factor in my purchasing decisions. Personally, I'm not buying a Z10 cause the camera is pretty bad. It's worse than most late 2011 flagship phones (Amaze 4G, GS2, Vivid/Rezound, MT4G, Titan II, etc.). Really, it's Motorola-quality camera performance, which simply is unacceptable for me.

And the whole argument about carrying around a DSLR if you want good pictures sounds cute, but is pretty dumb. There's a reason why manufacturers like Apple, Nokia, Sony, HTC, and Samsung have been working so hard to improve their camera phone optics and performance. It's important. I did a lot of traveling and seen an extreme amount of smartphones getting used, a few DSLRs, and a few more point and shoots. The number of people using their smartphone cameras liberally was easily 15-20x that of DSLR users and maybe 8x that of Point and Shoot camera users.

Welcome to early 2012. Better late than never...
    Novaone, xiaohuaxing and Paulct like this.
    02-02-13 07:11 PM
    Actually if you look at Peter's Cat picture as he downloaded on his image hosting service(there's a link on pg 3 of this thread) it looks 10x better. Oddly the Lumia 920's camera is far from perfect under normal conditions.It seems to need a software update too. I still can't believe BBRY didn't include Panorama as picture setting option.
    The 920 already received a camera-related update, and the only real issues it had were with focusing. The update fixed those issues.

Go to an AT&T store, play with the Lumia 920s camera and then email the image samples to yourself. I've done it. That's more useful than listening to useless speculation and how someone thinks the images look on a probably low resolution display. That phone has the best image quality short of the N8 and Pureview on a smartphone, and it's low light and video stabilization (OIS) performance simply cannot by touched by anything (smartphone) on the market right now, except maybe a better NOKIA camera phone.

Why RIM thought it was fine to not have an on screen camera shutter with tap to focus is beyond me. What a usability fail.
    02-02-13 07:14 PM
    Why RIM thought it was fine to not have an on screen camera shutter with tap to focus is beyond me. What a usability fail.
    Luckily that sort of thing is trivial to fix in software, because it's just a UI issue.

The low-light issue that the camera seems to have probably can't be significantly improved with a software update, but like so many other things, people often fixate on specific details that are only a tiny component of the big picture. I used to sell home electronics at retail and it is often quite mind-boggling how people often make dumb decisions about products based on trivial nonsense, solely because they convince themselves that the trivial nonsense is all-important.

Now if a person considers one of the primary purposes of their smartphone to be photography indoors without flash, then they'd be stupid not to buy a Lumia 920 because it definitely has the best camera in the market for that kind of thing. But then again, they'd have to buy a stupid Windows Phone to get that. (I hear Sony is planning some new smartphones with very good camera capabilities but I'm not sure they're available or even announced yet.)

But when a company chooses what components to build into a product like a smartphone, if they spend a bundle on a very fancy image sensor and related electronics, not only does that take away from the quality of parts they can use elsewhere (at that price point), it also very likely reduces the battery life to run the fancy image-processing chip necessary to get the highest-quality images from the chip.

All just a matter of tradeoffs. But people can't seem to resist the temptation to glom-onto one characteristic and proclaim some product "broken" because it doesn't measure up to the best in the market in every single area. Considering that the Z10 (and presumably Q10) cameras are probably in most respects better than previous Blackberries, and considering all the other goodies we get in BB10, I'm willing to give up state-of-the-art low-light performance, especially since I have dedicated cameras I can use for that.
    02-02-13 09:33 PM
    Omnitec

........................,,-~*~,,
    ......................./:.:.:.:.:.|
    ......................|;.;.;.;.;./
    ......................|.;.;.;.;.|
    ............._,,,,,_.).;.;.;.;.|
    .........,,-":.:.:.:."~-,;.;.;.|
    ........(_,,,,---,,_:.:.);.;.;..",,
    ......,-":.:.:.:.:.""-,,/;.;.;.;.;.",
    .....(:.__,,,,,,,,,___);.;.;.;.;.;|
    ...../"":.:.:.:.:.:.:�""\;.;.;.;.;.,"
    ....\",__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\
    .....\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:\
    .......\,,,,,---~~~~;;;;;;;;,"::::\
    .........."""~~--,,,,,,,,,,-"::::::::::\
    ...................\::::::::::::::::::::::\
    peter9477 and Lehomer like this.
    02-02-13 10:19 PM
    hi guys, the one thing i miss about my 9700 is its ability to take very good macro shots. i am talking about macro shots that shows the detail of the dial of a watch (my fave target/model). with the the 9900, i lost this feature. can anyone share some macro shots of watches showing its dials?
    I posted a picture of a little dinosaur, which is very close up. http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post7915648

The limit is apparently around 10cm (4") which I also discovered while taking those shots. Any closer and you'll be unable to focus well.

If I had a watch with a dial I'd take a picture of it for you, but I'm sure that photo will tell you what you need. Close-up ability is quite good.
    CrownIsle likes this.
    02-02-13 10:23 PM
    typical cell phone camera, will be good enough for pictures of my truck and boat, and summer scenery posted to instagram lol. My ideal phone would be something with an amazing camera. Equal to quality point and shoots out there. But I wasnt expecting that yet. This is why Im hoping a chinese manufacteror licenses BB10 who can produce the hardware much cheaper and blow me away with there phone. Id also love the phone to include the equivalent of a hand held gps unit with offline maps, with the same quality sensors. The 3 pieces of technology I carry while outdoors all in one.
    What you just said pretty much summarizes up the Lumia 920.
    02-02-13 10:26 PM
9,299 ... 34567 ...