Sorry if I missed it but how is it in capturing documents/text? The main reason I had to ditch the 9930 was due to the poor camera capabilities with regards to capturing documents; I currently use an app on the iphone where I take a pic and it then converts it into a PDF - you literally cannot tell the difference between that and a page scanned in using a regular scanner. Really wondering where the Z10 would stack in that regard?
    3 posts above yours peter9477 included a link to an album with pictures he took with his Z10. Check out that album it has a picture of a page with text on it. Looks perfectly clear. Something I will also be looking forward to after using my 9900 for a year and a half.
    02-01-13 03:54 PM
    It's funny that a lot are complaining about the camera when all they want to do is use instagram to filter them somehow and make them worse or goofy.
    02-01-13 04:00 PM
    3 posts above yours peter9477 included a link to an album with pictures he took with his Z10. Check out that album it has a picture of a page with text on it. Looks perfectly clear. Something I will also be looking forward to after using my 9900 for a year and a half.
    Thanks! Sorry...hectic Friday...I realized it was there after I posted about it....but I'm very impressed with that quality! and relieved!!!!!!!
    02-01-13 04:04 PM
    It's funny that a lot are complaining about the camera when all they want to do is use instagram to filter them somehow and make them worse or goofy.
    I see where you are coming from but honestly, I'm not shy to admit that I really don't use instagram at all...for me, taking pics of my family, screenshots of important confirmations or documents or when shopping is how I use the phone's camera 99% of the time...
    02-01-13 04:08 PM
    I know I can't wait! For the past year and a half I have been avoiding taking pictures with my 9900. Which was sad for me because I was so used to taking quick shots of things to share with others. Now I can get back to getting used to taking pics with my phone again! Lol. Hurry up AT&T, you're killing me.
    02-01-13 04:09 PM
    Just on a sidenote, I remember them demoing panorama, did that make it in? I haven't seen any of those shots.
    02-01-13 04:20 PM
    Just on a sidenote, I remember them demoing panorama, did that make it in? I haven't seen any of those shots.
    No, they did not include panorama though it's rumored to be coming in a future update.
    meganVee and Harborcoat like this.
    02-01-13 04:22 PM
    I saw someone with a picture of the Knicks game....Didn't he know Blackberry hates America??
    xiaohuaxing likes this.
    02-01-13 05:37 PM
    I saw someone with a picture of the Knicks game....Didn't he know Blackberry hates America??
    It's BlackBerry with two capital Bs, and no they don't. Who ever said BlackBerry hates the U.S.? If anything it's usually the other way around, with people pointing out the big market losses in recent years in the U.S., but many American fans never gave up on BB, and BB never gave up on the U.S. either!
    Last edited by peter9477; 02-01-13 at 06:12 PM. Reason: fix silly typo
    pels_17 likes this.
    02-01-13 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the awesome photos Peter! I was wondering about the camera quality when I saw some of the poorer pics from early reviews posted soon after launch. Good to see that it was not true. Personally, I don't take many pictures on my phone - have my real camera for that - so what I see here is more than good enough for me.

(Love that ice rink shot, by the way. Both the edited one and the original was very lovely.)
    Gla1ze and peter9477 like this.
    02-01-13 06:12 PM
    Nice work Peter!

Here's one I took with the Z10 in Toronto.

Post photos taken with the Z10-79376675768262280110411.jpg
    02-01-13 06:56 PM
    excuse me.. BUT THIS IS A CELL PHONE CAMERA

what is the obsession here, these photos only need to be tweeted, facebooked, instagramed where they will be further compressed and used for the sole purpose of showing everyone what your dinner and dog look like. You can take any of these photos from any of these devices into photoshop or some other post processing software and up the contrast a smidge, adjust colors, and brightness and voila the photo looks good. I'm sure BB10 has a filter (think autofix) that does exactly this. If you care this much about how your cell phone camera pictures appear the moment they are pooped out just buy a lumina 920, the rest of us will use a big boy's/girl's phone.

Some of you are acting like the equivalent of an pseudo-audiophile quibbling over the audio quality of the packaged earbuds that ship with each of these devices (spoiler like all these cameras they suck)....... ugh /rant
    Lol, agreed.

I don't and never will use my phone to take important photos. I have an awesome digital camera for that. No phone, imo, is as good as a digital camera. I will continue to take use my phone to take photos of my cat.
    02-01-13 07:10 PM
    A F2.2 is a fast lens and should give you decent low light use but with a shallow DOF (depth of field) at close range. But, you also need contrast to focus in low light and ambient light will probably under-expose the picture unless you compensate for it.

So it may be ok if used with a bit of knowledge of photography and a bit more of the user manual.

And I think the pics are getting the crap compressed out of them. Plus a jpeg loses quality every time you save it.

Camera & video

Rear camera
    8 megapixel auto-focus camera
    Back Side Illumination for better low-light performance
    5-element F2.2 lens
    Dedicated ISP (image signal processor) with 64MB frame buffer
    Flash, continuous and touch to focus, image stabilization
    I'm baffled by these pictures people have kindly posted. Not bad... but for the specs stated by BBRY, I would have expected much better.

Like the cat picture, that's a very cute cat but sorry, a terrible quality picture. Not something I would have expected from a f/2.2 lens, which is as fast as the Lumia 910's top of the class camera. The Z10 lens is not Carl Zeiss but as far as I can see, hardware-wise there's no reason why it shouldn't perform as well as the Lumia. I really hope this is some kind of rendering/processing/software issue than can be fixed with updates.
    Last edited by xiaohuaxing; 02-01-13 at 08:23 PM.
    frfghtr and Paulct like this.
    02-01-13 08:11 PM
    Nice work Peter!

Here's one I took with the Z10 in Toronto.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79376675768262280110411.jpg 
Views:	848 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	133534

It has been so long since I have been to Toronto, I forgot what a beautiful city it is.
    02-01-13 08:13 PM
    These pics look great to me. Other phones may have better cameras but for me, i don't always have to have the best on the block because they normally aren't the best for long. Always something better right around the corner. Z10 rocks! Cheers!
    02-01-13 08:22 PM
    Dude, my SLR takes better photos! Z10 is garbage.

JUST KIDDING. I use an SLR for photos. If you buy a cheap $50 phone, it is probably as good as any camera on a smart phone. If you want a good camera, spend $600 on a damned camera.
    ctuffy, meganVee and Gla1ze like this.
    02-01-13 09:03 PM
    I'm baffled by these pictures people have kindly posted. Not bad... but for the specs stated by BBRY, I would have expected much better.
    Like the cat picture, that's a very cute cat but sorry, a terrible quality picture.
    Seriously, didn't I say that myself? I believe I described the conditions a bit, and I'm not confident most other phone cameras would do any better. It's horrible yellowish and weak lighting, and that was on a bunk-bed so much of the light you'd expect to be coming from overhead was blocked. I wasn't surprised in the least that the picture was grainy and I'm frankly shocked that you would ignore all such comments and focus solely on the specs as though all photos taken by anyone with such a camera should be exceptional.

Also, actually, that picture pretty much matches how it looked in the room.

I'd have hoped in this thread that people would avoid making comparisons like that, given my ample warnings about the abilities of the photographer (read: few if any) and the various bad lighting conditions under which I took almost all the pictures. If you've got similar poorly set up photographs taken by rank amateurs on other phones to compare, maybe point us to some of them instead of just pointing out how incredibly poor these shots are in comparison to... something... which we can't judge for ourselves because you only claim it's better.

Apples and oranges: please try to make sure that's not what you're comparing. You'll note I haven't actually claimed these are better (or worse) than any other device... I didn't want the thread to be a troll magnet. I'm not sure some of you are even reading what I wrote, but merely glancing at the photos.
    bizzyqu likes this.
    02-01-13 09:25 PM
    These images look awesome! I am so glad that the pics that were posted on the comparison chart the day of release are completely proven wrong! whewwwwwww!!!!!!
    02-01-13 09:25 PM
    This image represents about 40% of a regular 8.5"x11" piece of paper (so about 5" by 8.5" as shown), taken in an otherwise dark room with a 13W fluorescent bulb in a desk lamp place just beside the camera. I turned it from the Auto setting to Whiteboard since it looked too yellow otherwise. The lens was about 7-8" away from the paper.

http://i.imgur.com/qnehUZe.jpg
    Didn't know we had to pay for the new sims
    02-01-13 09:33 PM

Like the cat picture, that's a very cute cat but sorry, a terrible quality picture. Not something I would have expected from a f/2.2 lens, which is as fast as the Lumia 910's top of the class camera. The Z10 lens is not Carl Zeiss but as far as I can see, hardware-wise there's no reason why it shouldn't perform as well as the Lumia. I really hope this is some kind of rendering/processing/software issue than can be fixed with updates.
    The grain almost seems like an Auto ISO problem. Turned that off on my DSLR. I also wonder about the "continuous and touch to focus". If "continuous" is default, I would expect better results with "touch" which may also allow for better spot metering. Another question is shutter speed. Is there any control over this? Lots of unanswered questions still.

Even a DSLR can take some crappy pictures when left in Auto or Program.

I wonder if Nikon makes a DSLR Cell Phone?
    xiaohuaxing and eddy_berry like this.
    02-01-13 09:34 PM
    lovely pictures lovely camera. Some people bitvch for the sake of bitvching...
    02-01-13 09:36 PM
    Are the "problems" with camera software problems that can be patched or due to bad hardware(sensor,lens)?
    I was going to post that very question myself.
    02-01-13 09:43 PM
    Seriously, didn't I say that myself? I believe I described the conditions a bit, and I'm not confident most other phone cameras would do any better. It's horrible yellowish and weak lighting, and that was on a bunk-bed so much of the light you'd expect to be coming from overhead was blocked. I wasn't surprised in the least that the picture was grainy and I'm frankly shocked that you would ignore all such comments and focus solely on the specs as though all photos taken by anyone with such a camera should be exceptional.[...]

Apples and oranges: please try to make sure that's not what you're comparing. You'll note I haven't actually claimed these are better (or worse) than any other device... I didn't want the thread to be a troll magnet. I'm not sure some of you are even reading what I wrote, but merely glancing at the photos.
    What are you angry ranting about? I think you're the one that didn't read what I wrote. I said the picture doesn't match my expectation based on the hardware. If you're not familiar, a f2.2 lens should be more than able to handle the situation you described, which I did read the first time. This attached picture was with my Canon stopped down to f/2.2 with only one 40w shaded table lamp . I never said I expect it to be as good as a DSLR but so far the sample low-light pictures I've seen from various sites are pretty damn far from it. Like I said I'm hoping it's just a software issue since the hardware sounds like it's fine.

The grain almost seems like an Auto ISO problem. Turned that off on my DSLR. I also wonder about the "continuous and touch to focus". If "continuous" is default, I would expect better results with "touch" which may also allow for better spot metering. Another question is shutter speed. Is there any control over this? Lots of unanswered questions still.

Even a DSLR can take some crappy pictures when left in Auto or Program.

I wonder if Nikon makes a DSLR Cell Phone?
    Good point about the continuous focus. The reports say in Time Shift mode the picture quality is rather poor - could be related, where if you select an option that lets you take continuous shots, it sacrifices some picture quality. Can't wait (til near April ) to get one to test it out for myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Post photos taken with the Z10-img_8081-copy.jpg  
    02-01-13 10:43 PM
    Maybe this will be comparing oranges and oranges this time. A 23W fluorescent desklamp as only lighting.

Post photos taken with the Z10-img_00000108.jpg
    christianZed likes this.
    02-01-13 10:57 PM
    I just found out that with 16:9 (the default) the images are only 6MP. Switching to 4:3 gives the full 8MP, so the starting resolution on this one is better, and the aspect ratio matches the "target" image.

Post photos taken with the Z10-img_00000111.jpg
    02-01-13 11:07 PM
9,299 ... 23456 ...