Hi

i understand the hardware limitations of the Z10 regarding USB OTG

whats your opinion of this, will it work?
    USB OTG cable with external Micro-USB power connector To USB 2.0 Female OTG Host Cable Adapter
    12-04-13 03:23 AM
    It might work sometime in the future... if/when OTG support is made available in the device software.
    12-04-13 04:39 AM
    Was there OTG hardware in the Z10? I seem to remember reading here that the USB socket was not OTG compatible...

Z30 has the right port (and is software enabled), PlayBook has the right port (is not software enabled), but I thought that the Z10 was not.

I am perfectly prepared to strike through all this text if I'm wrong though!
    12-04-13 05:16 AM
    Likewise I am prepared to withdraw if there is a hardware constraint. However, it doesn't really matter because I'm sure if there's a hardware restriction it would be pointless to enable in software. One way or another it doesn't work
    Barljo likes this.
    12-04-13 06:03 AM
    unfortunately it would never come to the Z10 cos its hardware based and Z10 doesnt have the hardware to support it
    12-04-13 06:56 AM
    Hiya, I've just finished writing firmware USB drivers for a project I am working on, so it is quite fresh in my mind. Due to the high speed communication needed, most USB chips communicate without the CPU doing anything. By this, I mean that comms are established automatically - the host sends a reset, and a device end point assignment to a newly detected client, the client accepts this assignment, then sends back info on itself. As this is accomplished in hardware, you normally have either a host, or client chip. Now USB OTG has both, and detects which way it is connected, then acts accordingly. Unless you have the host hardware (ie. can assign an ID and endpoint), you can't be a host. I may be wrong, but I don't think the Z10 has the USB OTG hardware, hence it is a client only.

I was thinking about it, and it would be possible to create a cable which contained a USB host chip which both the Z10 and the peripheral connected to. This could then effectively connect the two. You would need special drivers on the Z10 end to turn commands into interrupts and visa versa, but that would be possible, so long as we could write the low level driver.
    12-04-13 07:05 AM
    I was thinking about it, and it would be possible to create a cable which contained a USB host chip which both the Z10 and the peripheral connected to. This could then effectively connect the two. You would need special drivers on the Z10 end to turn commands into interrupts and visa versa, but that would be possible, so long as we could write the low level driver.
    I suspect the probability of getting cooperation from BlackBerry to have that driver added into the installed OS will be somewhere the negative side of "slim to nothing".
    12-04-13 09:39 AM
    I didn't realise the probability was even that high
    12-04-13 06:03 PM
    the Z10 does indeed have the hardware to support it. Or at least the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus in use by most models of Z10 come with on-chip USB OTG support. Take a look here.

If the CPU supports USB OTG then it would appear that it's a software issue. Like it was with the Playbook. Blackberry seemingly restricts connectivity options, for whatever reason. Maybe they're just too lazy to write the drivers.. who knows! Maybe they went cheap and used a USB port that doesn't have the proper interface that would support USB OTG.. it's anyone's guess.
    12-04-13 06:13 PM
    Yep you are correct, just checked - the S4 plus supports OTG (I should have checked first ), however you still need the peripheral support. You need to be able to control the pullups on D+ and D-, as well as manage the 5V supply. I would be very surprised if the Z10 had complete hardware support for OTG and they just didn't enable it in software. That would be yet another draw card for the Z10 - it would seem silly to leave something simple out of a device which you had pinned your hopes on.

Maybe its a power thing - they couldn't supply the power to peropherals, so rather than having external devices bring the system down, they disabled it in software. Maybe we can indeed use OTG with new software. I'd love to know.........
    12-04-13 08:19 PM
    the Z10 does indeed have the hardware to support it. Or at least the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Plus in use by most models of Z10 come with on-chip USB OTG support. Take a look here.

If the CPU supports USB OTG then it would appear that it's a software issue. Like it was with the Playbook. Blackberry seemingly restricts connectivity options, for whatever reason. Maybe they're just too lazy to write the drivers.. who knows! Maybe they went cheap and used a USB port that doesn't have the proper interface that would support USB OTG.. it's anyone's guess.
    I think that it's not so much a processor issue as a USB socket issue, to be honest (re your bolded comment)
    12-05-13 05:55 AM
    I have the same question as well. Knowing that the z10 has the correct chip, and that the software supports otg (z30 does), would such an externally powered dongle work or did BlackBerry further cripple the OS for the z10?

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 09:38 PM
    I have the same question as well. Knowing that the z10 has the correct chip, and that the software supports otg (z30 does), would such an externally powered dongle work or did BlackBerry further cripple the OS for the z10?

Posted via CB10
    Honestly I have no doubt that it is Blackberry's way of 'differentiating' platforms, and setting the Z30 up as the 'value-added' platform. After all, the Z30 is the 'flagship' now...

No need for it, in reality. Just arbitrary decisions from marketing.
    12-10-13 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD