Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    For those who have dead (black) pixels on their Z10 screen, this might be a fix:

Please note that I found this to work on my wife's Motorola Atrix 2 phone, and I didn't tested it on a Z10 - but since Atrix 2 seems to have a similar type of display (LCD), it might work on a Z10 too.

Problem: dead (black) pixels spread in the middle of the screen in an irregular area of approx. 2 square cm

Possible causes:

a. Phone drop. The thing has fallen on the floor a few minutes before the problem appeared.

b. Electrical surcharge. The phone was connected to a laptop by USB cable when the problem was first observed. The laptop was plugged into an outlet which was not grounded. When connected, screen interaction was erratic (some touch events were not registred properly, the interface acted in a weird manner).

Failed attempts to solve the problem:

1. Took out the battery for an hour. It didn't work.

2. Used an app that changes the screen color rapidly for a few minutes. It didn't work and almost gave me a stroke when interacting with it.

SOLUTION (found on the Internet):

1. Take out the battery, SIM card, SD card
    2. Put the phone (without battery and back cover) into a plastic bag and close its opening in order to prevent moisture to infiltrate into it. Repeat this with 2 more bags to be sure (3 plastic bags in total).
    3. Put the package into the freezer and keep it in there for 12 hours
    4. Take it out of the freezer after 12 hours, remove the plastic bags and leave it for half an hour in order for it to reach room temperature.
    5. Put it all together and press the power button

Result: the phone is now good as new

Possible explanation (I'm in no way competent in the matter, it might very well be false): the problem was caused by some overcharged capacitors. The cold helped them discharge.

Observations:

1. I only recommend this for devices with removable batteries. Putting a battery into the freezer will destroy it.
    2. I don't know if it could work for AMOLED displays, I have minimal knowledge about display technology in general
    Last edited by serbanescu; 03-07-15 at 11:44 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-07-15 07:59 AM
    If I remember correctly, storing batteries in the freezer slightly extends their ability to hold a charge. Haven't found any evidence of the cold destroying them but, like you, I definitely wouldn't recommend putting a phone with the battery in the freezer.

Wouldn't the freezer extend the capacity of the overcharge and keep it held longer? It may just be the fact that you're keeping the battery and everything out for an extended time. I know warmer temperatures tend to cause batteries to discharge at a faster rate.

In the end I'm surprised, but happy, that it worked and hope this helps others. May I ask how you came up with this solution? Lol the last thing I'd think of is to put my phone in the freezer.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 08:16 AM
    If I remember correctly, storing batteries in the freezer slightly extends their ability to hold a charge. Haven't found any evidence of the cold destroying them but, like you, I definitely wouldn't recommend putting a phone with the battery in the freezer.

Wouldn't the freezer extend the capacity of the overcharge and keep it held longer? It may just be the fact that you're keeping the battery and everything out for an extended time. I know warmer temperatures tend to cause batteries to discharge at a faster rate.

In the end I'm surprised, but happy, that it worked and hope this helps others. May I ask how you came up with this solution? Lol the last thing I'd think of is to put my phone in the freezer.

Posted via CB10
    As I have said, I have practically zero competence in electronic matters. The solution was not my invention, I just found it on the Internet (I can't find the forum at the moment). I saw no harm in putting it to the test (I could not see how could it harm the phone further).

To be honest, after the problem was solved, I was thinking the same thing, namely that it could be possible to achieve the same result by simply keeping the battery removed for several hours

I have chosen to use the freezer method because it was already proven, and keeping the battery out for an hour didn't work (of course, that doesn't automatically mean that keeping it out for 12 hours would not solve the problem).

I was of the impression that cold damages batteries almost as much as high temperatures (at least that was the case with older technology batteries).

It would be great if someone who really knows these subjects could shed some light on them.
    03-07-15 10:51 AM
    Either way it worked lol and thanks for playing the test dummy with your phone. We'd never get anywhere with solutions to issues unless someone decides to take a risk and try it.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-15 02:52 PM