04-13-13 07:09 PM
54 123
tools
    BlackBerry can solve most of these issues by implementing more "vetting" procedures when it comes to android port quality. I don't think any of us have an issue with a solid working android port for apps like skype, instagram, Netflix, etc. if that's what's needed to help the app gap.

It's the 400 versions of Chinese character ports and these apps that are just rss feeds from random obscure websites. Just because an app might be compatible and capable of running on bb10, doesn't mean it should be in app world. I've said it before, I'd rather have 1000 top notch apps then 100000 wothless ones. Quality over quantity.

Posted via CB10
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    04-13-13 07:46 AM
    look at it as best of both worlds. Turn the negativity to positivity lol. That's what I do for them ported apps
    04-13-13 07:52 AM
    I use netflix, Waze, flipboard, instagram and a couple other Android ports everyday. They all work 100% no problems.

For weeks I used whatsapp android port while everyone else complained there was no native app. Honestly it worked fine for me no glitches. The phone has a lot of other benefits that outweigh the fact I use a couple android ports.

My life is happy, but outside the ports I really need blackberry to work on calender, remember, hub and a few other sketchy areas of the OS

Posted via CB10
    2 Phonez likes this.
    04-13-13 07:54 AM
    I only buy "Developed for BlackBerry " applications . I agree with posters here and wish BlackBerry would never have created android player.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 08:04 AM
    I can hear the development team meeting now.

BOSS: Hey <insert name here>, have you finished that porting of <insert app name>?
    Employee: Yep, now maybe the BB users will hush up and I can get back to developing for what I was hired for.
    BOSS: How does the app run?
    Employee: Tested the main functionality, some of the functions need better SDK support and more access to the device hardware.
    BOSS: Ok, then make the changes to the SDK.
    Employee: BB needs to make these changes.
    BOSS: when will it be done?
    Employee: You know as much as I do.
    BOSS: Don't waste anymore time then. We'll come back in a few months. Hows the update coming along with the <Platform name goes here> app?
    Employee: Excellent, I changed how the <function> works and added <new function>.
    BOSS: Can this be added to the BB app?
    Employee: Possibly, once the BB SDK is changed and better support is given to us.
    BOSS: I need a drink. Going for lunch.

------------------------
    Before anyone mentions, I removed "whiners" cause I don't want to start a flame war, or troll war, and even to myself, it sounded rude after I sat back and really thought of it.
    Last edited by MobileMadness002; 04-13-13 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Sounded rude even to myself.
    mset and blueberrymerry like this.
    04-13-13 08:05 AM
    If they work properly, they can be a huge boost to BlackBerry. But sadly it doesn't. Even the best android port I've used is still slightly sluggish. If the Android ports could perform on par with the app on an android device, then I think most wouldn't complain. I know I wouldn't.

Right now as far as possible, I avoid android ports, unless I really need them.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 08:12 AM
    I don't mind the android ports as long as they've made a bit of effort on the interface. Having to swipe down from the top, click the overflow button and then go back to the top to do something is a bit of a pain.
    04-13-13 08:13 AM
    Ported apps are not the best, but it is better than not having any apps at all. Given the dearth of apps currently available, I think BlackBerry was smart to allow the porting of apps, initially.

Granted, ported apps are not as smooth and do not make the best use of the OS, but they are not the negative experience that many on this site paint them to be.

In fact, some side loaded apps (not available through BBW) , such as Evernote, have allowed me to use the program on my phone, when I would not have been able to do so otherwise, because their site has not been optimized for use by a mobile device. It really is frustrating to try to use the full Evernote site with the Z10, but the side loaded app provides a great deal more functionality than does the native Remember app.

I am grateful for ported Android apps, through various means, but I do hope that BlackBerry continues to work with developers to create native apps to replace them. Failing that, BlackBerry should write the apps themselves and cut out devs that aren't willing to get with the program.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 08:14 AM
    I hear ya!! Most of them don't work that we'll, hopefully this will be fixed shortly
    04-13-13 08:16 AM
    Really?? You think that after two months every development team is gonna just throw $100'000 in development at blackberry right away?? It took years for these companies to come to light. Who cares about what's happened in the past with apps, going forward it will be a level playing field now.

The apps will come as long as the reviews on the phone are good. For now I love my Android ports, I use them everyday.

Posted via CB10
    you think a developer will ever throw a 100,000 at BlackBerry when they can just port?
    04-13-13 08:35 AM
    I think that the medicine you are prescribing is worse than the disease. Some examples follow:
    1. Too many consumers think that no Android-based app deserves more than a 1-star rating.
    2. Too many consumers think that no Air-based app deserves more than a 1-star rating
    3. Too many consumers think that as soon as they encounter a problem with an app, they need to seek help by writing a bad review. They do not know that they might get better customer service by contacting the developer using the email address advertised in BB World.
    4. New programmers tend to write sloppier programs that experienced ones. Your medicine would prevent these developers from getting a foothold in the tricky business of creating great apps.
    5. Sometimes (more often than you know) there are bugs in BB World processes that cause corrupted installations. Operating systems and software development kids are know to have bugs. Your medicine would ban innocent developers whose only fault is relying on BBRY's infrastructure.
    6. Contrary to popular belief, most developers are good eggs who want to please consumers. Unfortunately, they are also human and make occasional mistakes. If a bad release is submitted, it can take days to analyse the problem and get the fixes posted in BB World. Your medicine would unfairly punish developers whose only sin is being human.
    7. I could go on forever but I hope that you get the gist. Consumers can be quick to judgement often make mistakes in assessing their perceived problems. Preventing developers from defending their reputations would not necessarily be good for the brand.
    Sounds we have a developer here who has uploaded crappy non-working applications before and gotten away with it!

Honestly BBRY has a way of confirming the complaints, they too could download and install the application on their devices with the same OS version and if it too doesn't meet their expectations they could axe the developer from their system. Is that a bad thing? No, it keeps the criminals from mucking around with BBRY's image.
    04-13-13 08:46 AM
    you think a developer will ever throw a 100,000 at BlackBerry when they can just port?
    Exactly!!! And there lies the ultimate failure of BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 09:35 AM
    To be fair this is actually part of BlackBerry strategy otherwise why else would they include the android runtime? I think it's a very clever way of overcoming the initial hurdles of having no apps on a new OS. It's to tide us over until the platform is established. I think it was an excellent business decision.
    mset likes this.
    04-13-13 09:41 AM
    Without these apps, BlackBerry's rise out of the ashes would fail. Over time many larger developers will be forced to update the code to native. If you are impatient or overly picky, you may be more satisfied running them on Android but the experience isn't much different.

Posted on a Z10 via CB10
    04-13-13 09:48 AM
    Oh and kudos to Google for allowing it for that matter.
    04-13-13 09:56 AM
    Although I personally don't like Android ports that much, I do understand that they are necessary at this point.
    Since all the reviewers don't look past the fact of how many apps are available in an app store, it is important for BlackBerry to, somewhat, keep up with those numbers. Otherwise you get reviews like "BB10 has no apps, stay away!".
    So as a business decision, it was the right thing to do.

On the user experience side, there are indeed sluggish Android ports, ports that do not work well, etc.
    But hey, every port that does work (reasonably) well, is an extra app that might be a deal-maker or breaker for someone, right?
    As for apps that do work quite well: try out CineTrailer, Ghost Commander, Yahoo Finance (sideloaded), etc. and you'll see it isn't all that bad.

But, like someone else already posted here, I do only spend money on native apps. We need to support developers who spend a decent amount of time creating an app for BB10.
    04-13-13 10:10 AM
    Ditto to..there lies the failure of BB, certainly one of the biggest in there rebuild plan. There's still a significant die-hard following but not enough for this (public) company to survive. (And many of those DH are now at the end of their BlackBerry road too.) BlackBerry retooled but has come up short with Z intro...now it must have incredible Q launch and fix a few 10OS, Z issues, and somehow address holes in significant (however u may define) apps in lightning time. Please no more comparisons to time to correct original intros of Apple and DROID systems...totally irrelevant to an undercapitalized publicly traded company in this industry. The mission has been, and still is, to chip away at IPHONE and Samdroids. The market is nearing saturation in the sense that the$500 phone market sales represent replacements for other expensive phones...not a high percentage representing first time buyers. For example, no one on the fence is going to (knowingly) buy BB in hopes that in the future they will fix Android apps to work better, or fix some function that they require but is available now on other phones.

In partial defense of BB, it absolutely had to get something out, or to delay perhaps even another month might well have fallen to permanent financial disarray. Now that it's (Z/Q/OS10) out, perhaps a list of ten worst/critical problems could be forged for BB to address with lofty goal by summers end (which admittedly would eliminate upfront some from even being listed). I'm sure that BlackBerry is doing something similar but doesn't hurt to have CB user community posit their own rendition with emphasizing expedience as key to success and perhaps very survival.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 10:21 AM
    The Z10 isn't US$500, it's over $700! That's for people who pay the full price instead of going the locked, contract route. A lot of people would question why they should pay that kind of money for a franken-Droid experience when they could buy a genuine Android-running Galaxy S3 or S4 for a lot less.

I hate repackaged Android apps but they're a necessary evil - better a crap app than no app at all. I consider porting as in recoding using C++ and native frameworks like Qt and Cascades, whereas Android apps are just APKs repackaged into BAR files. It would take a while for developers from other platforms to port but those ported apps would really showcase the full BB10 experience, instead of showcasing a buggy Gingerbread-based virtual machine.

The least RIM could do is to have an option for the Android player to be restarted, instead of having to restart the whole phone.
    04-13-13 10:54 AM
    Wrong, BlackBerry's intention is to keep ported apps. If that indeed is true, I'm getting rid of my BlackBerry and going back to android. Whats the point of having a BlackBerry if it doesn't have its own apps?
    "The sky is falling, Chicken Little! There are no native apps on BlackBerry! Zero! None! Nada! Nil! no one has downloaded the native SDK! Doom! Horror! Death! Destruction!"

(couldn't resist).

Honestly, if it's done well, I don't care all that much.
    04-13-13 11:03 AM
    Sounds we have a developer here who has uploaded crappy non-working applications before and gotten away with it!

Honestly BBRY has a way of confirming the complaints, they too could download and install the application on their devices with the same OS version and if it too doesn't meet their expectations they could axe the developer from their system. Is that a bad thing? No, it keeps the criminals from mucking around with BBRY's image.
    My app works just fine, thank you very much. Honestly, I don't know where you got the idea that I might be be mucking around with BBry's image. Please do some research on my app and my participation in these forums. The fact that you think that I should be "axed" from BB World reinforces the point that some consumers are quick to rush to judgement but don't really know what they are talking about.
    howarmat and kbz1960 like this.
    04-13-13 11:24 AM
    Usage feels really choppy, it's disgusting.
    04-13-13 11:25 AM
    The Z10 isn't US$500, it's over $700! That's for people who pay the full price instead of going the locked, contract route.
    It was $550 US for me...

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 11:30 AM
    official ported apps give me no trouble. sideloaded ones arent as smooth.

the worst part for me is the break in the UI
    04-13-13 12:34 PM
    There were some apps I simply wasn't about to do without. Kindle was one of them. Yes, it's an Android port, but I'd rather have it than the native WP8 app they created, that lacks ability to highlight and annotate. I can hope for a native version of Kindle at some point, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't think Amazon has much incentive to bother making one.

Critics complain (rightly) about the dearth of apps on BB10. Without Android ports it would be a ghost town. But it's a tricky road ahead. If at least some of the more popular Android port apps don't get upgraded to native, BBWorld will get the reputation for being an Android junkyard, and Samsung and others will use this to promote their own products, where Android apps run best. But without ports, BB10 would be DOA. BBRY has to find a way to motivate not only native new apps, but also the conversion of existing ports. I don't think that's going to be easy.
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    04-13-13 03:38 PM
    Is it just port and you're done, which I'm sure some do, or do some devs actually have the ability to and do more than that to make them better?
    04-13-13 03:42 PM
54 123