Nothing worse than browsing BlackBerry world and finding a cool new app to download only to find it's yet another ported android app. Why? Because let's be honest, ported apps SUCK... They crash, the navigation bars randomly disappear (Tapatalk I'm looking at you) , they're totally non intuitive on the BlackBerry, and holy hell they look and feel like an android app right down to the ever-so-frequent 'force close' box that shows up right before a crash and burn. If I wanted a bunch of Android apps I would've bought an android.

By far, this has been the biggest disappointment of this thing.

Posted via CB10
    Jacko_au likes this.
    04-12-13 11:20 PM
    some are OK....they do throw a wrench in uniform UI

There are some android apps i cant do without at the moment though but overall i wish there was never an android player created
    AbsoluteT23 and .pinkberry like this.
    04-12-13 11:28 PM
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:31 PM
    Not having the app at all is a buzzkill.

If the app works smoothly then it is fine by me. If it runs like crap then there is a problem. Waze is a good example of a ported app that runs great.
    2 Phonez and RubberChicken76 like this.
    04-12-13 11:33 PM
    Haven't seen a ported app that works properly yet.

Posted via CB10
    04-12-13 11:34 PM
    Like they didn't bother to make it work well for BlackBerry. Some do though.

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    04-12-13 11:37 PM
    Should it matter where the app came from. It is relevant to use apps as the users like us see fit in our life. BlackBerry is smart in allowing side loading and I agree with this method of choice.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:13 AM
    I don't think it matters so much where they come from but the fact that they won't build specifically for the phone so it is laggy and does not work as well...

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:18 AM
    Give it time, for now it's something to keep the numbers up. Once they get back on their feet people Will developed more apps.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:21 AM
    Let's hope so... or better yet hope BlackBerry hopes so.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:31 AM
    I hate that the z10 run android apps. I'm doing my best to avoid all the ported applications (I did sideload two apps, also purchased tapatalk). From now on I'm only spending money on developers that create native apps (purchased neatly, and downloaded a few other native apps)...

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 12:33 AM
    I hate that the z10 run android apps. I'm doing my best to avoid all the ported applications (I did sideload two apps, also purchased tapatalk). From now on I'm only spending money on developers that create native apps (purchased neatly, and downloaded a few other native apps)...

Posted via CB10
    Seems like a good idea, support direct developers.

Posted via CB10
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    04-13-13 12:34 AM
    Of course I prefer "Built for Blackberry" apps but where there are critical gaps, I appreciate workable Android alternatives. Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. But I would upgrade to a BFB app the moment one became available.

Posted via CB10
    rajeshr68, ubizmo and 2 Phonez like this.
    04-13-13 01:03 AM
    Once they update the Android player itself, it'll get better, mean time they will continue to suck.
    2 Phonez likes this.
    04-13-13 01:32 AM

Posted via CB10
    This I completely agree with! If I wanted to run Android apps, I'd buy an Android phone. I'm making my second attempt with the Z10 and this time around I'm only going to use native apps (and support devs that make native apps).
    AbsoluteT23 likes this.
    04-13-13 01:51 AM
    I think that BlackBerry should start publishing company. This way independent developers will got more support and would do what they know the best. They could even do a Kickstarter like voting on ideas, with users pre purchasing app to ensure development.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 01:58 AM
    i deleted netflix because it seemed to slow my phone down. been doing great with my Z10 ever since.
    04-13-13 03:07 AM
    Personally I hate the ported apps, if I wanted an Android app, I would buy an android device, period.

I recently downloaded the eBay app and it drained my battery and had several FC's when I was trying to use it. To make matters worse, when I tired to un install that app, it would NOT un install and I had to wipe my device and reload everything.

I would have thought a company the size of eBay would have hired a good developer and created a native app. I gave it a one star rating in the BlackBerry World which was generous in my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 03:46 AM
    Just an FYI people it seems that the software developers have the control to remove negative feedback left on their applications on BBW. I have noticed it with applications I have bought and be very flakey and so have my other friends and colleagues at work. I think BBRY should not permit this to happen, if an application fails to work correctly BBRY should get a notification after x number of 1 stars have been left and should remove the application and developer from their site.
    smartbuddy and dj_matty_s like this.
    04-13-13 04:05 AM
    Just an FYI people it seems that the software developers have the control to remove negative feedback left on their applications on BBW. I have noticed it with applications I have bought and be very flakey and so have my other friends and colleagues at work. I think BBRY should not permit this to happen, if an application fails to work correctly BBRY should get a notification after x number of 1 stars have been left and should remove the application and developer from their site.
    I think that the medicine you are prescribing is worse than the disease. Some examples follow:
    1. Too many consumers think that no Android-based app deserves more than a 1-star rating.
    2. Too many consumers think that no Air-based app deserves more than a 1-star rating
    3. Too many consumers think that as soon as they encounter a problem with an app, they need to seek help by writing a bad review. They do not know that they might get better customer service by contacting the developer using the email address advertised in BB World.
    4. New programmers tend to write sloppier programs that experienced ones. Your medicine would prevent these developers from getting a foothold in the tricky business of creating great apps.
    5. Sometimes (more often than you know) there are bugs in BB World processes that cause corrupted installations. Operating systems and software development kids are know to have bugs. Your medicine would ban innocent developers whose only fault is relying on BBRY's infrastructure.
    6. Contrary to popular belief, most developers are good eggs who want to please consumers. Unfortunately, they are also human and make occasional mistakes. If a bad release is submitted, it can take days to analyse the problem and get the fixes posted in BB World. Your medicine would unfairly punish developers whose only sin is being human.
    7. I could go on forever but I hope that you get the gist. Consumers can be quick to judgement often make mistakes in assessing their perceived problems. Preventing developers from defending their reputations would not necessarily be good for the brand.
    RubberChicken76 and kbz1960 like this.
    04-13-13 06:49 AM
    If Android ports weren't available, I wouldn't have bought the Z10. The app gap without them is too deep. As it is, I had to think hard about giving up apps that don't even exist as ports. Without the ports there's no way I'd have taken the plunge.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by ubizmo; 04-13-13 at 03:29 PM.
    d3rd likes this.
    04-13-13 07:04 AM
    The post you replied to was a little extreme, but there needs to be some sort of threshold where developers get looked at by RIM. The problem is that the media has turned this whole thing intact numbers game and RIM is forced to play that way.

If a Dev deletes a certain percentage of reviews, they should be looked at closer.
    04-13-13 07:13 AM
    If BlackBerry doesn't get the apps in the future, I'm going back to android. I'll give them a while, but ported and side loaded apps won't cut it for me. It's awful.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:18 AM
    Really?? You think that after two months every development team is gonna just throw $100'000 in development at blackberry right away?? It took years for these companies to come to light. Who cares about what's happened in the past with apps, going forward it will be a level playing field now.

The apps will come as long as the reviews on the phone are good. For now I love my Android ports, I use them everyday.

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:33 AM
    Wrong, BlackBerry's intention is to keep ported apps. If that indeed is true, I'm getting rid of my BlackBerry and going back to android. Whats the point of having a BlackBerry if it doesn't have its own apps?

Posted via CB10
    04-13-13 07:38 AM
54 123