Hello guys. I read on the net that it's better to have your email settings under IMAP as opposed to POP because it drains less battery? Is this true?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 08:28 PM
    Yes it is true.

IMAP is also preferred for a whole host of other reasons.. POP is an outdated technology that should no longer be used when just about any other option is present.
    diegonei likes this.
    01-04-14 08:35 PM
    "...Whenever possible, it is recommended that customers use Active Sync or IMAP over POP when setting up a new account because they are more efficient protocols for a mobile device. If you need assistance setting up a new account, review the BlackBerry Z10 User Guide or contact your account provider for more information...."

Ten ways to extend your BlackBerry Z10 battery life | Inside BlackBerry Help Blog
    01-04-14 09:01 PM
    I'm not sure imap always saves battery use. It depends on if the server supports push. You can see this right in the email settings.

One advantage to imap is if you send the message from one device, your composed message shows up on all the imap devices. If you have a slow network connection, imap could be annoying since it has to sync when you go to email account. You don't notice this much on the blacbkerry, but I notice it on my desktop.

Since imap is a cloud-like service, your email lacks some privacy based on current federal legislation. [Your email sits on the servier, and after 6 months, the feds can steal it without a warrant.] I've been considering setting up a user account on my desktop using pop3 to pull the mail off the server. That is, normally use imap, but periodically use pop3 to actually download and thus archive the mail.
    01-04-14 09:55 PM
    Hello guys. I read on the net that it's better to have your email settings under IMAP as opposed to POP because it drains less battery? Is this true?

As others here have mentioned, on a variety of levels, IMAP is a better and more sophisticated email protocol.

However your question focused specifically on "battery life".

That's a hard question to answer because there are many variables. Chief among them, if you have your POP client set to poll the email server very frequently, that is going to use more power.

IMAP can keep a connection open with minimal resource usage and still get quick notification of new emails, but it still has to tear down and re-establish that connection about every 30 minutes or so.

And if you are syncing lots of IMAP folders, your battery usage goes up for each additional folder you sync.

So in a nutshell: it depends.
    01-05-14 05:56 AM