Okay, it's not actually unusable. It works like it did before I got my Z10. But it certainly feels that way.

It just feels... slow. Especially the swipe up gesture to minimize the application. Feels nice and snappy on the Z10 and slow on the PlayBook. Actually, almost every action is better on the Z10. If they're side by side and I want to do some Web browsing I'd pick the Z10 every time, hands down.

I now know what Kevin meant when he said the PlayBook likely doesn't have the horsepower to run BB10

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 04:52 PM
    I now know what Kevin meant when he said the PlayBook likely doesn't have the horsepower to run BB10
    Posted via CB10
    How about we wait and see what they come up with? Saying "PlayBook doesn't have the horsepower to run" is kind of like saying that iOS 6 only runs on the iPhone 5. I'm running it on my 4S, my gf on her iPhone 4 and it runs on older devices too.

I really doubt that BlackBerry 10 is pushing the Z10 to its utter limits nor that there aren't refactorings that can be done to make it work on the PlayBook.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-15-13 04:56 PM
    Well when they update the PlayBook to BB10 it will be a lot better.

CB10- z10
    meltbox360 likes this.
    03-15-13 04:58 PM
    They better update the PlayBook or I'm totally gonna freak out.

Posted on my Z10..... while on the can
    03-15-13 05:08 PM
    I have to pretty much agree, used to be a heavy PlayBook user and take it everywhere. However, now every time I touch it, it drives me crazy and freezes up for 30 seconds at a time. Seems worse since the last update, although I did get the z10 pretty much at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 05:13 PM
    I have to pretty much agree, used to be a heavy PlayBook user and take it everywhere. However, now every time I touch it, it drives me crazy and freezes up for 30 seconds at a time. Seems worse since the last update, although I did get the z10 pretty much at the same time.

Posted via CB10
    This sounds like you have very specific, unusual issues. Wonder if a backup/restore in Link would help your performance issues? Certainly made mine a lot snappier, though I can't say I had issues of it freezing for 30 seconds ever. BLAQ does for a few seconds sometimes, but I think it's a refresh thing with the app.
    03-15-13 05:16 PM
    I'm definitely using my playbook less. I thought it was just the novelty of the Z10 at first - but a month later and I've actually gone whole days where I haven't used my playbook. That hasn't happened since I first got it over a year ago.
    03-15-13 05:17 PM
    But the problem with the existing playbook is that it only contains 1gb of ram

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 05:18 PM
    I think it's the difference between the Z10 and the PlayBook. Nothing has changed, it's just that the Z10 is that much more responsive.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 05:19 PM
    Ya, maybe I should try restoring it. I do like talking it to school and recently had stopped.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 05:20 PM
    Sad to say, I haven't picked up my Playbook since I got my Z10 a few weeks ago.

I have a book on the Playbook (Kobo) that I was reading, I hope I don't wait until the BB10 update to Playbook before I finish it.
    03-15-13 05:21 PM
    It's a good suggestion. However it is not a good solution. Bb needs to fix the laggy keyboard and screwy browser on the playbook. So frustrating, I know.... I'm using it to type right now (before the browser hangs or just dies).

You cannot win the user experience... Yes business AND consumer... where these widespread issues can *probably* resolved with a wipe and restore. The kids today have termed that a: fail.
    03-15-13 05:34 PM
    I concur with the OP. The swipe up to minimize is especially slow on the PB relative to this beastly Z10.

Posted via CB10
    03-15-13 05:36 PM
    They better update the PlayBook or I'm totally gonna freak out.

Posted on my Z10..... while on the can
    You can believe me or not but a bb playbook super nerd told me it will get the update. It's just a matter of when.

The 27th can't come fast enough!!
    03-15-13 05:49 PM
    It is slower, but if it starts to lag too much, hard reboot it
    It's slow also because the current PB OS loads every single driver when it boots, and keeps them open. On the Z10, only the essentials are started, more like our modern desktop OS
    Once BB10 is on the PB, it should actually improve it some, despite the fact that it is a larger system. It's just much more efficient with its resources
    03-15-13 05:51 PM
    Thorstein Heins has already said himself BB10 will be on the playbook so no need to speculate about that it's already confirmed. It's just a matter of when now.

CB10- z10
    03-15-13 05:53 PM

Posted via CB10
    iPad2 powered by IOS6 runs perfectly fine with 1GB RAM. I think Blackberry can't blame Playbook's hardware. They better optimize the software for the hardware. I was one of the early testers who bought the Playbook immediately when it was out. It was not even cheap, heck more expensive or on par with the iPad.
    03-16-13 04:56 AM

Posted via CB10
    Dev Alpha A only had 1 GB of RAM. iPhone 5 has 1 GB OF RAM, 4 and 4S have 512 MB and older devices that also run iOS 6 only have 256 MB of RAM.

As I said above, let's not assume 2 GB is the 'minimum system requirement" just because that is what Z10 has.
    03-16-13 04:22 PM
    It's a good suggestion. However it is not a good solution. Bb needs to fix the laggy keyboard and screwy browser on the playbook. So frustrating, I know.... I'm using it to type right now (before the browser hangs or just dies).

You cannot win the user experience... Yes business AND consumer... where these widespread issues can *probably* resolved with a wipe and restore. The kids today have termed that a: fail.
    Have you updated to the latest OS? I haven't had a crash since updating.
    03-16-13 04:23 PM
    Same here since I got my Z10 I haven't been using my PlayBook at all
    I always carried my 9860 and PlayBook to get the full experience I craved Web/email etc. Etc but now the Z10 is proving to be the full package for me
    This device is the real deal folks

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 04:36 PM
    the biggest couple of things for us to remember is

1. the playbook was a big test. they fumbled there way through building the OS. they learned from all of that fumbling mistakes and how to better it thats why the Z10 is super smooth sure some more horse power helps but learning how to better the code will give better results than a couple more ponies under the hood.

2. the playbook has way more Adobe in it than the Z10
    i forget and correct me if im wrong but i think the browser on the playbook is almost entirely Adobe Air and from what i have heard they have basically optiomized it as much as it can go. the Z10 is native code so designed from the ground up to work with the OS.

When we see the OS10 Hit the playbook i think we will all be very pleased with the results.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    03-16-13 04:39 PM
    How about we wait and see what they come up with? Saying "PlayBook doesn't have the horsepower to run" is kind of like saying that iOS 6 only runs on the iPhone 5. I'm running it on my 4S, my gf on her iPhone 4 and it runs on older devices too.

I really doubt that BlackBerry 10 is pushing the Z10 to its utter limits nor that there aren't refactorings that can be done to make it work on the PlayBook.
    I agree. Everyone saying this is driving me nuts. To give some insight - all internal Z10s prior to launch were running with only 1GB or RAM. In fact, I have a few colleagues who are still using Z10s with the 1GB. The only performance issue they've seen is that sometimes apps will just close if they run out of RAM. Aside from that, it's hard to notice anything different.
    03-16-13 04:54 PM
    I was just thinking about starting a thread on this when I came across this thread...
    The browser on the PB seems so slow after the Z10 and the keyboard.....i used to be satisfied with the PB's keyboard because that's what I really expected from a touchscreen keyboard but the Z10 has raised the game....and not just by few notches but to a whole new level.
    I for one don't see the Z10 performance coming to the PB even if they update it to OS10. The first generation PB simply doesn't have the horsepower to perform like the Z10.
    03-16-13 04:59 PM
    The interesting thing about QNX is it will adapt to any hardware specifications whether they be slow or fast. It should ensure consistent flow and performance, providing programs and apps are built "Natively" from the ground up.
    This is one reason why BlackBerry will upgrade all existing and future PlayBooks to BB10. You shouldn't be able to feel a difference between current Z10's versus BB10 upgraded PlayBooks. This is how amazing QNX truly is.

The key word here is NATIVE, and with it comes the best user experience.
    03-16-13 05:15 PM
    I love my playbook I used it everyday but using blackberry 10 on the playbook simply wouldn't make sense, this operating system has been designed for the phone. The operating system being 2.1 on the playbook is perfect because its been designed for it, only thing i would want from the update is maybe better apps that blackberry 10 offers and to get rid of some of the bugs such as the calendar not working and some crashing, but the playbook is great as it is. I use it everyday and I am in love with how it functions. Putting blackberry 10 software on it would only make it difficult to use.
    03-16-13 05:38 PM
29 12