Hello BBers!

I got a Playbook in 2012, was very impressed, so I thought BB phone could be as impressive, and it turns out to be not-so-exciting (sorry, Bold 9900).

Now Z10 is ready, I am planning to get one, however I have a few questions and wish someone can help me out...

A lot of free apps made for previous BB phones (<= OS 7) have LOTS of ads. Those apps run in background, pop up random ads and catch me in surprise. Is this still happening with BB 10 apps?

Are Playbook Android apps able to run on Z10?

Does Z10 browser support Adobe Flash?

Does Z10 support apps to run in background, like the way it works on Playbook (in system settings, you can choose to leave all background apps running and never pause them)?

Thank you!
    04-11-13 12:46 AM
    Hello BBers!

I got a Playbook in 2012, was very impressed, so I thought BB phone could be as impressive, and it turns out to be not-so-exciting (sorry, Bold 9900).

Now Z10 is ready, I am planning to get one, however I have a few questions and wish someone can help me out...

A lot of free apps made for previous BB phones (<= OS 7) have LOTS of ads. Those apps run in background, pop up random ads and catch me in surprise. Is this still happening with BB 10 apps?

Are Playbook Android apps able to run on Z10?

Does Z10 browser support Adobe Flash?

Does Z10 support apps to run in background, like the way it works on Playbook (in system settings, you can choose to leave all background apps running and never pause them)?

Thank you!
    Ad-supported apps seem to be pretty well-behaved. Certainly, I haven't seen ads popping up suddenly or obtrusively.

I'd say most if not all PB Android apps are running on the Z10.

And, yes, Flash does work in the browser (though you have to go into the browser's settings and turn it on first).
    hzguo likes this.
    04-11-13 12:56 AM
    I know what you're referring to about the ads on some apps in BlackBerry OS7 but I have not experienced any do that on the Z10 or PlayBook.

As for the Android apps, you would need to try each one to know for sure but it seems like most of the ones that worked on the PB also work on the Z10 plus many more that do not work on the PB.

Yes, the Z10 supports flash.

Posted via CB10
    hzguo likes this.
    04-11-13 12:58 AM
    Although there's no settings for application behavior like the PlayBook, you'll be pleased to know that Videos loaded from the browser will keep on playing even if you minimize the app.

Posted via CB10
    hzguo likes this.
    04-11-13 01:14 AM
    Currently BlackBerry hasn't released the API (I think it's that) to enable devs to run apps in the background as opposed to keeping them in an active frame.
    Coming soon though. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Posted via CB10
    hzguo likes this.
    04-11-13 01:51 AM
    Currently BlackBerry hasn't released the API (I think it's that) to enable devs to run apps in the background as opposed to keeping them in an active frame.
    Coming soon though. Correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Posted via CB10
    I actually would prefer a mobile platform which gives me more control of what apps are running. I imagine all those annoying ads free apps will take off again once BB 10 allows them to run in background.

What is the advantage of letting an app to run in background rather than in a "frame"?
    04-11-13 01:55 AM
    All your other questions have been answered so I'll answer your last one. It's on the road map for a background api so that will happen in the near future.

CB10- BlackBerry Z10
    hzguo likes this.
    04-11-13 02:22 AM