Has anyone received this error when someone sends them a pic via BBM? Mine has worked fine since i got the phone over two months ago, but Friday when a colleague sent me a photo for work it went to 3KB out of 30 then stopped. The other three didn't even begin, and now i see that error. I also got sent two pics by a friend today, of which only one did come through.

My OS version has been 10.0.10.82 for a while now and the Model number is STL100-1, if that helps. I'm not sure if it may be a network problem or somerhing else? Anyone else seen this, or know how to fix it?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 01:16 PM
    I have not seen that recently but, it is surprising how often the BBM infrastructure acts strangely. This sounds like a transient BlackBerry problem. You might check and see if it starts working soon.

Also, BlackBerry still has that ridiculous 6GB file size limit in BBM. I've hoped for years they would remove that but still it persists. I have started using Whatsapp (since most of my BBM contacts also have that) to send files over 6GB. You might try Whatsapp to see if it will send the pics.
    05-13-13 01:33 PM
    You probably mean MB? Well, those were 30-40KB though. Strange...

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 01:39 PM
    You probably mean MB? Well, those were 30-40KB though. Strange...

Posted via CB10
    Yes you are right I meant MB.
    05-13-13 05:49 PM
    Is this a known error? I have read that about the same time some Asian countries has been having BBM issues. Are they related maybe?

Posted via CB10
    05-13-13 06:41 PM
    Below is described what I think is the root of the problem.

I had the same problem when sending pictures using BBM from my Q10. Every picture I sent got the message "Picture transfer encountered an error" and 0 kb sent.

This happened with just one of the few contacts I tested. I also tried with a voice note and the message said "error writing file".

When I read the last message about the error writing file, I presume that the problem was at the destination device. I talked to the person I was sending the picture and the voice note to and confirmed that he didn't have a media card for storing purposes. So he cannot receive BBM or Whatsapp attachments at all.

Conclusion: the destination device needs to have storage capabilities to receive attachments in order to avoid the error mentioned. So I believe that this occurs when destination device storage partition or media card is nonexistent, damage or running out of space.

For me that case is closed. There is no problem with BBM infrastructure or service.

I hope it helps.
    09-08-13 10:10 PM
    Posted earlier in another thread but I saw this reply so thought i'd add my comments re my issue.I can't send photos to my contacts. I get "picture transfer encountered an error" every time I try. On an HTC android. Can send the same photos with what's app with no problems. Am sending to 3 separate bbm contacts. One is on an android and the other two are using iPhones. They can all receive the photos via what's app.
    10-26-13 11:25 PM
    Ditto

Still looking for the answer . . . I think it might have something to do with either the leak I'm running or maybe it's just BBM dealing with all the new traffic from iPhone/Android users but it's cramping my style. I hope it's a transitory problem.
    10-29-13 01:18 AM
    I've lost patience and have gone back to what'sapp. It just works. BBM joins my blackberry playbook in the dusty drawer of things never to be used again. blackberry fails so often it's difficult to stick with them anymore
    10-29-13 02:35 AM
    I've lost patience and have gone back to what'sapp. It just works. BBM joins my blackberry playbook in the dusty drawer of things never to be used again. blackberry fails so often it's difficult to stick with them anymore
    Enjoy sharing you and your contacts phone numbers with the world.

BlackBerry Since 2006. BB Z10,10.2 Official. Rogers Halifax, NS
    10-29-13 06:33 AM
    I'm also having the problem of BBM often not sending the picture. It tries sending and then after some times, I get "Picture transfer encountered an error" on my Q10. I have to try two or three times before it sends but it does eventually send.

I only started having this problem recently. I suspect it may have something to do with Push services on iPhone/Android and if BBM can't push the photo out to the iPhone/Android device, BBM is not storing it on their server until a time when they can reach the iPhone/Android device.
    11-17-13 12:01 PM
    Did you get answer?
    12-04-13 11:54 PM
    I am having the same issue sending pics on my Q10.
    12-26-13 05:32 AM
    I'm having the same problem - is BlackBerry listening?

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 02:18 AM
    Below is described what I think is the root of the problem.

I had the same problem when sending pictures using BBM from my Q10. Every picture I sent got the message "Picture transfer encountered an error" and 0 kb sent.

This happened with just one of the few contacts I tested. I also tried with a voice note and the message said "error writing file".

When I read the last message about the error writing file, I presume that the problem was at the destination device. I talked to the person I was sending the picture and the voice note to and confirmed that he didn't have a media card for storing purposes. So he cannot receive BBM or Whatsapp attachments at all.

Conclusion: the destination device needs to have storage capabilities to receive attachments in order to avoid the error mentioned. So I believe that this occurs when destination device storage partition or media card is nonexistent, damage or running out of space.

For me that case is closed. There is no problem with BBM infrastructure or service.

I hope it helps.
    Case isn't closed at all.

I send pictures to friends with BBM and they all have a media card and/or storage capabilities. Sometimes I'll get that error and somehow I won't.

My friends also get that error when sending pictures to me sometimes on BBM. I have a media card.

It is something to do with BBM. Some sort of intermittent glitch. Try resending at a later time and usually it will work.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    01-18-14 02:46 AM
    I send pictures to friends with BBM and they all have a media card and/or storage capabilities. Sometimes I'll get that error and somehow I won't.

My friends also get that error when sending pictures to me sometimes on BBM. I have a media card.

It is something to do with BBM. Some sort of intermittent glitch. Try resending at a later time and usually it will work.
    I agree with you this error occurs intermittently. I've also had this occur with friends or family and I know their phone "can" receive photos over bbm.

And I agree with you that it usually goes thru if you try it again later.

At least with bbm you get a message letting you know it didn't go thru. With WhatsApp, occasionally messages and/or pics don't go thru and you only find out later if you ask your intended recipient and they say they didn't get it. And yeah, that's happened to me a few times on WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 11:03 AM