I think the thing is, reviews are going to put the devices through their paces. They have to think about as many usage scenarios as possible. The tests are generally "rough" on any camera phone and tend to be extreme cases to make sure they cover all their bases. Low light photos are a great example. Nobody is going to take a low light photo with a camera phone and expect to frame it. But if you're someone who frequents night clubs or bars and takes a lot of low-light shots, a better low-light quality camera will be more important to you.

Also, the reviews would be pretty boring if they just posted a bunch of nearly identical photos from different devices
    I try to use natural light as much as possible....flash tends to disturb sleepy little ones and pets. And as someone mentioned, there are places where flash is not allowed, or would be rude.
    02-05-13 07:47 PM
    OK some examples of the flash working. Excuse the state of the house lol
    3 shots, 3 settings.Attachment 134177Attachment 134178Attachment 134179

Hallway with the dog as a subject
    Bedroom with some colours to pick out
    And back yard, to show flash with nothing to reflect off.

These are all Z10 shots, so no guessing needed. Thought it made sense just to show what the Z10 does in low or no light situations.
    Indoor shots show how well it copes when there are surfaces to bounce its light off. Outside shows the opposite.

Will do some comparison flash shots if anyone wants. If anyone is fussy I will go out in the rain and get the iPod out of the car to take some on.
    Cute doggy!!!!!!
    02-05-13 07:49 PM
    I try to use natural light as much as possible....flash tends to disturb sleepy little ones and pets. And as someone mentioned, there are places where flash is not allowed, or would be rude.
    I generally despise flash. Especially the LED ones on smartphones. They tend to produce awful pictures. Not to mention my kitty hates the flash. Definitely prefer natural light.
    02-05-13 07:54 PM
    Well, I think its obvious the Z10 camera is not as good as the iPhone 5, but my question is I see some posts around saying that it can be fixed/made better with a software update, is that even possible? I see it as a hardware issue not a software issue.
    I can to a point but most of it is optics. I'm not familiar with the specs on either but there should be a number looking something like X.X f/r or fX.X /r. If I'm not mistaken I think the iPhone has something like 2.4

Edit:
    So I looked it up and the iPhone 5 aperture is rated at F2.4. The closer to 0 the better.
    02-05-13 07:59 PM
    I can to a point but most of it is optics. I'm not familiar with the specs on either but there should be a number looking something like X.X f/r or fX.X /r. If I'm not mistaken I think the iPhone has something like 2.4

Edit:
    So I looked it up and the iPhone 5 aperture is rated at F2.4. The closer to 0 the better.
    Don't read too much into an one single number. f/2.4 - the aperture is 1/2.4 x as wide as the focal length so there for bigger denominator means more light gets in means better performance in low light but also increasing depth I field effect (the background and foreground are out of focus - which is sometimes an effect aimed for)

Most cellphone cameras have plastic optics as well and the quality control isn't the same as it is on larger cameras. And even when you have a lot of light coming in the size of the individual photo sites (photodiodes) impacts quality. Larger photo sites means less noise. But it also means fewer pixels you can fit on the same size silicon. Thus you end up with tiny 10+ megapixel sensors that are very noisy. An other thing to be aware of is that you can take that 10 megapixel image and super sample it down to a lower but less noisy pixel count (noise is error, error decreases by the square root of the number of samples). The pureview 808 with its 41 megapixel sensor does this when producing 5 megapixel images.

So the numbers that you should put together are both the aperture and the side of the photo sites on the sensor and then as a secondary number how many photo sites and the size of them on the sensor and then for some sensors (eg foevon) number or photodiodes per photo site.

Then also consider the materials making up the optical stack.
    02-05-13 10:42 PM

If you look at an image captured with the Z10 (jpeg exif) it will tell you what the aperture shot at was, though it seems it will be f/2.0 for the Z10 vs f/2.4 for the iPhone 5.

Edit:
    02-06-13 01:31 AM
    OK last one (for now lol)
    Z10 vs S2 vs iPod Touch 5th Gen

Make your own minds up on this one. Taken as close together as possible. Nothing in the room was changed inc lighting.
    All 3 were on auto settings with flash on auto.

Photo tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-x.jpgPhoto tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-y.jpgPhoto tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-z.jpg
    02-06-13 03:36 PM
    1 is best. 2 is pretty good. 3 is pretty bad.
    02-06-13 03:46 PM
    1 is best. 2 is pretty good. 3 is pretty bad.
    Not agreeing or disagreeing, but wondering what it is you judge the picture on?
    Over all brightness of flash?
    Detail of the subject?
    Colour?
    Focus?

I have to say Tuvaaq (the dog) did move during the first pic, so its shaken the quality up a bit. imo anyway
    02-06-13 04:24 PM
    I'm more of an audiophile than a photography expert. To me, my favorite camera was the Canon AE-1 programmable with auto wind. To this day I prefer analog to digital in most things. So With that in mind, I am giving my wn personal preference of which photo I think has truest color, white balance, brightness and detail.
    02-06-13 04:34 PM
    Fair play, thanks for the comment
    02-06-13 05:14 PM
    OK last one (for now lol)
    Z10 vs S2 vs iPod Touch 5th Gen

Make your own minds up on this one. Taken as close together as possible. Nothing in the room was changed inc lighting.
    All 3 were on auto settings with flash on auto.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	134329Click image for larger version. 

Name:	y.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	134330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	134332
    Love your dogs. What breed are those ...looks huskies?
    02-06-13 07:28 PM
    Love your dogs. What breed are those ...looks huskies?
    lol thanks, Alaskan Malamutes.
    Their interesting coats make pictures a bit more fun to look at. especially full size images.

One I took this morning on the Z10, which is now my desktop wallpaper at work...

Photo tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-img_00000139.jpg

PS, him up there ^^^^
    is the same as him over <<<< there

Just 6 and a half years later. lol
    Last edited by Snazy; 02-07-13 at 06:51 AM. Reason: more info
    02-07-13 06:48 AM
    Some more pics in this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ctures-768905/
    .. comparisons by CNET and a few pics I posted (but I have no other touch phone to compare with).
    Snazy likes this.
    02-07-13 06:57 AM
    I didn't read back through this but CNET's article makes me feel much better about the Z10 camera. In thi sarticle, it comes what I read as a close second to the iPhone.

BlackBerry Z10 camera versus iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S3 | Dialed In - CNET Blogs
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-07-13 12:08 PM
    I hesitate to ask this question but this seems like a friendly enough thread to do so. Will the time-shift feature work on pets? I have no idea about the technical features or what makes it work. Most of my pictures are of my dogs. I can't play with it for a month or so (live in the US so waiting for March ). Just kind of wondering. Thanks in advance for not flaming me.
    02-07-13 12:21 PM
    Time Shift works on the whole picture of individuals faces through face recognition

Don't think it will see an animal face but will try with a dog now lol
    Hold tight.
    02-07-13 02:07 PM
    Ok verdict is in, nope doesn't work on the dogs, tried 20 various shots.
    The time shift for the whole frame is fine but no facial recognition
    ctuffy likes this.
    02-07-13 02:12 PM
    Might sound like a Dumb Question but I Cant turn my flash on for my camera When I go into the camera settings I can see the flash options but when I click it nothing happens Is it just me being dumb or do I have a faulty Z10 Thanks
    02-07-13 02:34 PM
    Tuvaaq...awesome name for an awesome dog, Snazy! Z10 looks like a nice dog cam!
    02-07-13 03:06 PM
    How did you get it to take a macro shot?
    02-07-13 03:14 PM
    Ok verdict is in, nope doesn't work on the dogs, tried 20 various shots.
    The time shift for the whole frame is fine but no facial recognition
    Feel bad for those folks that look like dogs
    02-07-13 03:17 PM
    Feel bad for those folks that look like dogs
    Haha aint that the truth, doesnt pick up on my face at times, is it trying to tell me something?

How did you get it to take a macro shot?
    Its capable of focusing at just a very short distance, I would say 10cm maximum, which gives some great macro shots with truly deep pictures. You can either allow the camera to focus itself using the centre of the screen as the focal point, or manually move the point of focus by dragging the cross hairs (so to speak)

Tuvaaq...awesome name for an awesome dog, Snazy! Z10 looks like a nice dog cam!
    Hey thanks, Tuvaaq is an Inuit name (suits his breed) The girl is Aanaga. Tuvaaq meaning Little Hunter, I wont bore you with the stories of their names lol.
    Yup I really do like the Z10 camera, more and more daily. Especially when it pops a shot like this one out.

Photo tests between other phones  &amp; Z10 in same conditions-img_00000136.jpg

Might sound like a Dumb Question but I Cant turn my flash on for my camera When I go into the camera settings I can see the flash options but when I click it nothing happens Is it just me being dumb or do I have a faulty Z10 Thanks
    Nope not being silly, it doesnt work in timeshift, burst or some other modes. Has to be in 'normal' mode to have manual control over the flash. Takes some getting used to knowing what can be controlled when, but normal mode should sort you out. Doesnt work in certain scene modes too obviously.
    02-07-13 05:19 PM
    Hi thanks for getting back to me regarding the Flash I got it sorted Many thanks

Snazy likes this.
    02-07-13 05:40 PM
    lol thanks, Alaskan Malamutes.
    Their interesting coats make pictures a bit more fun to look at. especially full size images.
    Awesome!
    Snazy likes this.
    02-07-13 05:46 PM
281 ... 9101112