This to me is one of the most conclusive pictures so far. One far better quality than the other, colour richness on a picture with various shades of woods. No flash, under florescent lighting.
    Focus point is on the box nearest to the camera.

Attachment 133942Attachment 133943
    number one on this one.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    02-04-13 02:50 PM
    Hi Matt, sorry for taking over the thread, it is indeed a great thread with good old fashioned discussion, rather than ego battles and brand loyalties taking first place.

Glad you like my examples there.
    Here are a couple more to mull over. This time, closer to the subject, outdoors, in night setting mode on both devices. Not too much light about, but once again both devices have a different idea of how the image should look and what is important and whats not.

Attachment 133940Attachment 133941

There you go, both renamed, so no checking the properties to see which is which lol.
    Thoughts, discussion
    Number one on this one.

02-04-13 02:53 PM
    Ok so in the last post the top is S2, bottom is Z10
    In the previous the Z10 was the one you liked lol

So far I have to agree with the sentiment that the Z10 camera is no POS.
    Off to take some low light night scene now, while trying to hold the dogs still... wish me luck.
    LOL!!!!! So I'm completely split!!!!!!
    Wish I could see them in a laptop instead of the phone.

02-04-13 02:57 PM
    I LOVE THIS!!!!!!! Thank you so much for playing!!!!!

02-04-13 02:58 PM
    Round 29 - Ding ding!
    02-04-13 03:09 PM
    This to me is one of the most conclusive pictures so far. One far better quality than the other, colour richness on a picture with various shades of woods. No flash, under florescent lighting.
    Focus point is on the box nearest to the camera.

Attachment 133942Attachment 133943
    Well, colour balance can be corrected in software, so that's good news. Personally I prefer the 2nd image, there seems to be a bit more latitude for adjustment there.

I'm assuming the first image is the iPhone? Did it have HDR enabled?
    02-04-13 03:17 PM
    Yikes, colour is way too cool on the 2nd picture. 1st picture is a bit too warm, but still looks much better.
    Ya I agree with that assessment 100%. Can't wait to see which is which.

I don't want to post process photos I take on a phone. #1, while overcompensating it a bit, looks a lot warmer. That photo woud be good 'as is' for most of my uses. #2 is just way too cold. As you said, something in the middle would be perfect.
    02-04-13 03:43 PM
    Hey people, no iPhone to compare to, sorry. But I initially thought the camera was even bad.
    Now I'm not sure. I got these, decide for your self!

These are 100% size pictures, no compression either. No post processing or noise reduction done, except for the colour of the broccoli picture.
    The sock pic is cropped! Good texture right?

02-04-13 04:01 PM
    Well, colour balance can be corrected in software, so that's good news. Personally I prefer the 2nd image, there seems to be a bit more latitude for adjustment there.

I'm assuming the first image is the iPhone? Did it have HDR enabled?
    Neither were with the iPhone. One was an SGS2 the other a z10
    02-04-13 04:09 PM
    Hey people, no iPhone to compare to, sorry. But I initially thought the camera was even bad.
    Now I'm not sure. I got these, decide for your self!

These are 100% size pictures, no compression either. No post processing or noise reduction done, except for the colour of the broccoli picture.
    The sock pic is cropped! Good texture right?

http://www.abload.de/img/img_00000032_editypkf3.jpg

http://www.abload.de/img/img_00000106_edit_edi7nj8a.jpg

http://www.abload.de/thumb/img_00000...t_edi7nj8a.jpg http://www.abload.de/thumb/img_00000032_editypkf3.jpg http://www.abload.de/thumb/img_00000085qakf1.jpg http://www.abload.de/thumb/img_000000878rkjh.jpg http://www.abload.de/thumb/img_00000099cmjxp.jpg http://www.abload.de/thumb/img_00000100cnjm6.jpg
    like i said the clarity appears to be pretty good, even at full size all it really needs is some color tweaks to give images some real *pow*

maybe there might be a software update to fix this but i doubt it, a bit of photo editing will make these images look even better and stand up well enough to the competition
    02-04-13 04:15 PM
    I wish we could get a few more iPhone5 / Z10 comparisons as per the title of the thread. The 3 phones I will likely be deciding between are the S3, Z10, or iPhone when I upgrade. Camera is not the only factor, but I do use it for work a lot.

I am impressed with the S2 photos, which likely answers my questions about the S3 camera.
    Novaone likes this.
    02-04-13 04:16 PM
    Between the S2 and Z10, I prefer all the Z10 photos. The S2 photos are often too dark, and details are lost as a result of it (especially taken at twilight as some of the images shown).
    02-04-13 04:48 PM
    Is this where we ask what kind of wood it is, to understand what colour it should be .. Oak or Pine? to me, the 2nd wins.

On the night ones, initially i preferred the first, but then felt the colour was more natural on the 2nd. So on those, 2nd on both.
    So thats the Z10 on both counts. Im torn with the wood picture, the colour of the S2 is far too warm, but nearer to the true colour than the washed out look of the Z10 image. That said, the sharpness of the Z10 kinda wins me over, like it has on most other test shots so far.
    As for the church at night, on the full size image the S2 really loses the edge on detail in the image, and almost seems to have grabbed every bit of light available to make the image brighter.

Still comes down to what you want from a picture I guess.
    02-04-13 04:48 PM
    Best I can do for Apple comparisons is using an iPod Touch 5th Gen if thats any good. Sorry to have taken the emphasis away from the original thread title, but the main thing is we are all showing what the Z10 can really do here.

Great pictures Novaone, some very simple and candid shots, which is what camera phones are all about really eh
    I have to agree, at the end of the day I think the Z10 is a very capable handset for photos. Like the old saying, its not what you got, its how you use it.

Torndownunit, the S3 is stupidly good compared to the S2 as I found out when I was in Florida a while back. It copes with a whole range of situations and lighting scenarios that the S2 struggles a bit with. Not sure if thats hardware or software though.

qbnkelt, good point. Its amazing how different the pictures of both devices look between different displays., On my TV they look far richer, on the work PC they look good, laptop a little less in it, and phone, well I think I have made my point lol

Long and the short of it here is,...
    The Z10 is very capable, simple to use even from lock screen, simple settings are a little bit of a disappointment as there is a lack of adjustment available to compensate for different conditions. But for a pocket snapper which can instantly share, im more than happy with the Z10, and really think people have just given it a hard time for the sake of it. Even some of the best point and shoots struggle in low light without software compensation. The images even at lowq light from the Z10 are not too noisy, and are quite detailed, thats what counts for me anyway.

Glad people have benefitted from the various comparisons. If anyone has suggestions for more, just post them up. And I will try to get the iPod in on the action for the next round.
    02-04-13 04:59 PM
    [QUOTE=Snazy;7934363]qbnkelt, good point. Its amazing how different the pictures of both devices look between different displays., On my TV they look far richer, on the work PC they look good, laptop a little less in it, and phone, well I think I have made my point lol[\QUOTE]

at that point it all leads up to different displays have different screen calibrations, and it all depends how you set it up. there are calibration tools to set up displays but all may not be exactly the same i entirely agree that the Z10 stacks up as a photo shooter well it may just require a bit more photo editing to get the color to the degree that the iPhone5 or SGS3 are, but thats all the fun of Instagram and the photo editing tools you get to play around with the image rather then just shoot it and leave it
    02-04-13 05:07 PM
    Settings are your friend.That point a shoot noob sh1t wont work here know your settings you will get solid pics.
    02-04-13 05:26 PM
    holy god this took forver to get to the 9th page
    02-04-13 05:38 PM
    Best I can do for Apple comparisons is using an iPod Touch 5th Gen if thats any good. Sorry to have taken the emphasis away from the original thread title, but the main thing is we are all showing what the Z10 can really do here.

Great pictures Novaone, some very simple and candid shots, which is what camera phones are all about really eh
    I have to agree, at the end of the day I think the Z10 is a very capable handset for photos. Like the old saying, its not what you got, its how you use it.

Torndownunit, the S3 is stupidly good compared to the S2 as I found out when I was in Florida a while back. It copes with a whole range of situations and lighting scenarios that the S2 struggles a bit with. Not sure if thats hardware or software though.

qbnkelt, good point. Its amazing how different the pictures of both devices look between different displays., On my TV they look far richer, on the work PC they look good, laptop a little less in it, and phone, well I think I have made my point lol

Long and the short of it here is,...
    The Z10 is very capable, simple to use even from lock screen, simple settings are a little bit of a disappointment as there is a lack of adjustment available to compensate for different conditions. But for a pocket snapper which can instantly share, im more than happy with the Z10, and really think people have just given it a hard time for the sake of it. Even some of the best point and shoots struggle in low light without software compensation. The images even at lowq light from the Z10 are not too noisy, and are quite detailed, thats what counts for me anyway.

Glad people have benefitted from the various comparisons. If anyone has suggestions for more, just post them up. And I will try to get the iPod in on the action for the next round.
    Don't be sorry, I appreciate any photos posted because I am considering all 3 phones. I am due for an upgrade in a little over a month, so there are a few threads I am following closely that relate to my needs in a phone. There is just such a great variety of photos with the S2 and the Z10, it would be cool to see the same variety with the iPhone 5. Thanks.

RE S2 vs S3 hardware/software improvements... I'm sure it's a bit of both. And the S4 will likely kick it up another notch I am sure.
    Snazy likes this.
    02-04-13 06:12 PM
    Will do my best to do some more this time with the ipod just as soon as I can
    momofteme likes this.
    02-04-13 06:51 PM
    holy god this took forver to get to the 9th page
    LOL. Yes, a lot of extraneous noise from objectors...much of it bunk from a technical/logical perspective. Glad the thread got back on track. Kudos people.

I think my ultimate conclusion is that the z10 camera is not at the top of the class, but it is "reasonable". This pretty much verifies what I expected from reviews....the fact is, cameras, like all aspects of the smartphone have really been making strides. After all, how long ago was it that I was using a .3 mp camera (and impressing people with some shots from it!).....or astonishing people with 2 megapixel shots from a Sony phone.

If you want best of class, or if pics are a priority to you, you need to think about this before buying a z10. On the other hand, as an average user, not making side by side comparisons, and simply taking little snapshots, I doubt the z10 will hold you back in any way. Especially true, if you're moving up from an older model BB, or other last generation camera.

In that sense, I think it's roughly analogous to the screen. It isnt' as good as the best of the class, but it is quite good, and it wont' bother you if you're moving up from something worse!

I do disagree though Snazy that people (or at least reviewers) have been unfair regarding the camera. It is their job to discern differences, and express them. It is an excellent thing for everyone if the standards are very high all around, and the lesser camera is still "good"!
    02-04-13 07:04 PM
    RE S2 vs S3 hardware/software improvements... I'm sure it's a bit of both. And the S4 will likely kick it up another notch I am sure.
    S4 Rumours:
    Specs:
    •4.99-inch Super AMOLED FULL HD Display
    •1.8GHz Exynos 5 Octa processor
    •2GB RAM
    •13MP rear-facing camera
    •2MP front-facing camera
    •Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean
    •Wireless charging

Software:
    •New user interface, dubbed "Nature UX"
    •"Eye Scroll"
    •"Eye Pause"
    02-04-13 07:42 PM
    IT'S A PHONE!!!!!!!!! it's not your lover. it doesn't make you breakfast in the morning or f**k you when you're horny.
    Whaaat? Why wasn't that mentioned on January 30th? Can someone confirm this? If it's true that's a deal breaker for me. I'm taking this POS back! Right now the problem is I don't have the energy to get out of my PJ's and leave my mommy's basement.

HollyWOOD1906: Thanks for sayin what's on the minds of many, well my mind anyway. I get drawn into these threads like walking by a bad wreck. I know I shouldn't stop to look but I do
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    02-05-13 12:40 AM
    I do disagree though Snazy that people (or at least reviewers) have been unfair regarding the camera. It is their job to discern differences, and express them. It is an excellent thing for everyone if the standards are very high all around, and the lesser camera is still "good"!
    I know what you mean. I just meant the general 'user' reviews that have simply stated its rubbish and not fit for purpose. It blows the 9900 out of the water with most of its shots, and copes far better in low light than I had expected after reading the first few comments, or experiences of others.
    The church shot for example, I was sure it would just be a black screen because I had heard it was that bad in low light.

When I say reviews and comments, I dont mean exclusively from CB

But like you say, for those in the industry who are paid to be honest, kudos to them for keeping it objective.
    I think I have been almost brutally honest in my own blog / review of it to date, and another mini review will follow today.

All in all, I like working with the Z10 camera, and for a camera phone think it does a 'good' job. Just not great. We agree
    02-05-13 03:39 AM
    Couldn't resist a few more in bright daylight this time. With bright surfaces to mess with the picture a little, and the church once again in direct sunlight, lets see how each fairs.

Photo tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-e.jpgPhoto tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-f.jpgPhoto tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-g.jpgPhoto tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-h.jpg
    02-05-13 04:52 AM
    2 & 4

now those who defended the 9900 know why those of us with good cameras called the 9900 camera trash

I do wonder why the comparison the cb team posted showed such bad pics

Last edited by qbnkelt; 02-05-13 at 06:19 AM.
    02-05-13 06:06 AM
281 ... 7891011 ...