Which is which?
    02-04-13 11:45 AM
    OK last ones for now. And again a mixed bunch. Neither did a great job with an infinity focal point. But one did better than the other.
    I clearly know which one I prefer from these 2, and as before, images taken seconds apart from the same location. The clouds are great at confirming this.

No flashes, no settings, just auto,

Attachment 133920Attachment 133921
    I'm loving the 2nd pic here
    02-04-13 11:48 AM
    Which is which?
    Want me to tell you outright, or care to guess, and say which you prefer first?
    02-04-13 11:49 AM
    Want me to tell you outright, or care to guess, and say which you prefer first?
    Haha well in this particular situation, their is a clear winner imo.......

I'd hope it's the z10 but if its the iphone 5, thats cool. I have a t4i with a few prime lenses for important pictures and as a hobby, so I'm not too bothered if the z10 camera under-preforms against other camera phones in certain situations. Very cool to see the differences though, thanks for doing this!
    Last edited by dj_matty_s; 02-04-13 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling
    02-04-13 11:57 AM
    Definitely a First World problem, but I will play along. Can you see the image you want? If yes, then move on. It's a phone. It's a phone. Did I say it's a phone? Jack of all trade, master on none. I am sure if you play with the settings, you may obtain the look you want......but wait, there are filters to think about, so the original shot becomes less important, in some cases. I think it's me. I am not getting this phone, expecting it to take pictures like a.... dedicated camera. It's all fun and games until we take it so seriously. Now a camera that was able to make phone calls.......that's a different story.....
    Why do you think BlackBerry is in the mess that it is in? Tell me. Do you think consumers CARE at all about what you think? Don't you think that the general populace expects a decent camera on their phone? Christ people. Before the launch it was, "BLACKBERRY IS AWESOME! OMG!!!111", "BLACKBERRY IS GOING TO BE SUPERIOR!!!!11" and now it's people once again making excuses for BlackBerry not living up to their promises and backtracking on a lot of what made BlackBerry great. Think. For. One. Second.

If you expect BlackBerry to compete, you damn well better expect it to come up with some great hardware and have a great camera that can compete.
    Icarus3000 likes this.
    02-04-13 12:01 PM
    Top image is a Galaxy S2, bottom is the Z10

Sorry for the confusion and thread hijack, all my images are between the S2 and Z10

Indeed there is a clear winner
    ubizmo and anon(5624621) like this.
    02-04-13 12:01 PM
    Haha well in this particular situation, their is a clear winner imo.......

I'd hope it's the z10 but if its the iphone 5, thats cool. I have a t4i with a few prime lenses for important pictures and as a hobby, so I'm not too bothered if the z10 camera under-preforms against other camera phones in certain situations. Very cool to see the differences though, thanks for doing this!
    There was no iPhone 5 in his photos, it was an SGS2

Edit: beaten to the punch
    02-04-13 12:02 PM
    Yup I completely misread the original post, thought it was an iphone 5. Nice to see the z10 do well in that specific situation, very decent photo all things considered.
    02-04-13 12:05 PM
    Top image is a Galaxy S2, bottom is the Z10

Sorry for the confusion and thread hijack, all my images are between the S2 and Z10

Indeed there is a clear winner
    Thanks for the photos. I hope at some point we can see how the scene modes perform. In particular, I think we'd all like to see an indoor, low-light situation using "night" or "indoor" or whatever the relevant BB10 mode is, with no flash, and compare that to whatever scene mode is closest on the S2 or iPhone.
    02-04-13 12:10 PM
    Very nice! My Lumia 920 takes awesome night photos but the camera is kind of slow all the time. Looking at the videos the camera looks really quick. Is this the case for you?
    02-04-13 12:12 PM
    I think what's important for me from all these photos is I'm not seeing the "OMG Z10 camera is a POS".
    02-04-13 12:34 PM
    I agree, totally depends what you are hoping to capture in the picture.
    That image was on the S2
    I definitely prefer that one, at least in that photo.
    02-04-13 12:44 PM
    I think what's important for me from all these photos is I'm not seeing the "OMG Z10 camera is a POS".
    Exactly. For my uses, I would be content with most of the shots shown.
    02-04-13 12:44 PM
    lol well as promised, here is another comparison.
    Forgive the slight lack of focus on the Z10 image, but hanging out of a 3rd floor window to take pics worries me at times lol

These pics were taken a few minutes apart as the daylight faded, so you can get a sliding scale idea.

Attachment 133916Attachment 133917

These were taken a few mins later.

Attachment 133918Attachment 133919
    As they appear 1 and 4.

Please tell me they are the Z10 because I love that last pic.
    I love those clouds.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    02-04-13 12:51 PM
    OK last ones for now. And again a mixed bunch. Neither did a great job with an infinity focal point. But one did better than the other.
    I clearly know which one I prefer from these 2, and as before, images taken seconds apart from the same location. The clouds are great at confirming this.

No flashes, no settings, just auto,

Attachment 133920Attachment 133921
    I like the top better.

02-04-13 12:56 PM
    Ok so in the last post the top is S2, bottom is Z10
    In the previous the Z10 was the one you liked lol

So far I have to agree with the sentiment that the Z10 camera is no POS.
    Off to take some low light night scene now, while trying to hold the dogs still... wish me luck.
    I like the top better.

02-04-13 01:02 PM
    Thanks for the photos. I hope at some point we can see how the scene modes perform. In particular, I think we'd all like to see an indoor, low-light situation using "night" or "indoor" or whatever the relevant BB10 mode is, with no flash, and compare that to whatever scene mode is closest on the S2 or iPhone.
    Gonna do these very soon
    ubizmo likes this.
    02-04-13 01:04 PM
    Snazy.. just shows how much difference there is between things.. I prefer the 2nd images on both sets by far.. so the Z10 wins in that battle..

What an emotive thread this is.. almost regret starting it.. I wish people on forums could be a little more objective sometimes and take some of the passion out of the debate
    ubizmo and TomJasper like this.
    02-04-13 01:19 PM
    Seems I like most of the ones from the S2 lol. Not saying they are dramatically better, just that they seem to suit my tastes more. Is that camera in the S3 as well?
    02-04-13 01:48 PM
    Snazy.. just shows how much difference there is between things.. I prefer the 2nd images on both sets by far.. so the Z10 wins in that battle..

What an emotive thread this is.. almost regret starting it.. I wish people on forums could be a little more objective sometimes and take some of the passion out of the debate
    Hi Matt, sorry for taking over the thread, it is indeed a great thread with good old fashioned discussion, rather than ego battles and brand loyalties taking first place.

Glad you like my examples there.
    Here are a couple more to mull over. This time, closer to the subject, outdoors, in night setting mode on both devices. Not too much light about, but once again both devices have a different idea of how the image should look and what is important and whats not.

Photo tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-.jpgPhoto tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-b.jpg

There you go, both renamed, so no checking the properties to see which is which lol.
    Thoughts, discussion
    02-04-13 01:50 PM
    I believe the camera in the S3 is improved somewhat from the S2, if nothing else, the software is much better.
    02-04-13 01:52 PM
    Here are a couple more to mull over.
    When I saw those, the first thing I thought was they were screen grabs from one of the missions in the original "Thief: The Dark Project". Looks almost exactly like the church where you have to retrieve "The Eye".

I thought I'd weigh in... I agree 100% with those that say that BB should have made sure that the camera quality on the Z10 was very very competitive with the S3 and iPhone 4+.

For BB to not give due consideration to this very important device metric is inexcusable. I choose to carry a digital camera and do not rely on my smartphone but perhaps that is a self-fulfilling thing... because the camera on my cell phone has never been up to snuff, I carry a camera. After using a high quality cell phone camera for a while, I may decide I don't need to carry a separate camera, and my purse gets that much lighter.

I haven't heard much about the fundamental capabilities of the sensor on the device, or who manufactures it, and how it compares spec-for-spec to the sensors in the flagship iOS, Android, and Windows Phone devices... it would also be cool if RAW images could be taken to see what's possible when the in-device processing is turned off.

At any rate, I expect a software tweak in a future release to fix this, as the adjustments made by one user in Photoshop show that the photos CAN look better than they do with basic contrast / brightness adjustments... but I am still very interested to know how any perceived 'inferiorities' in photos taken on the Z10 come down to the quality of the sensor.... I hope BB didn't cut corners on the sensor to save less than $10 dollars per device.

I think after 2 weeks, CrackBerry.com should gather up a list of grievances and get straight answers from BB on WHY. "Did you put a cheap sensor in?", "Are you using low-grade image processing code?", and most importantly, if software related, "when can Z10 users expect a patch that will improve image quality?"
    Last edited by lorax1284; 02-04-13 at 02:15 PM.
    02-04-13 02:00 PM
    This to me is one of the most conclusive pictures so far. One far better quality than the other, colour richness on a picture with various shades of woods. No flash, under florescent lighting.
    Focus point is on the box nearest to the camera.

Photo tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-c.jpgPhoto tests between other phones  & Z10 in same conditions-d.jpg
    02-04-13 02:13 PM
    This to me is one of the most conclusive pictures so far. One far better quality than the other, colour richness on a picture with various shades of woods. No flash, under florescent lighting.
    Focus point is on the box nearest to the camera.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	133942Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	133943
    Yikes, colour is way too cool on the 2nd picture. 1st picture is a bit too warm, but still looks much better.
    02-04-13 02:34 PM
    Is this where we ask what kind of wood it is, to understand what colour it should be .. Oak or Pine? to me, the 2nd wins.

On the night ones, initially i preferred the first, but then felt the colour was more natural on the 2nd. So on those, 2nd on both.
    02-04-13 02:49 PM
281 ... 678910 ...