Is it just me - or is the phone app slow as molasses?

Every time I open it, it takes a good 3-4 seconds to get its act in gear - draw the objects, fill in the text, populate the call list.

Even once it finally loads, I have an "Active Call" button on the bottom left of the action bar that disappears after another 5 seconds or so.

Do we know if the phone app was written in the same manner as the settings app?

Phone App Sluggish-img_00000163.png

Posted using BlackBerry 10
    Novaone likes this.
    03-16-13 08:52 PM
    I have experienced lag with it but only the first day I got the phone everything's been good so far.

I'm sure a software update would fix this hopefully Blackberrys taken notice.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 09:06 PM
    Hi, yours seems slow compared to mine. Mine will open and populate everything including favourites, in 2 seconds. I do notice the active call button but it's just a second blip and it's gone. FWIW, I have about 300 contacts. Perhaps the more you have the longer it takes to open.??

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 09:07 PM
    Mine lags a bit i have noticed. I just compared today with my torch 9800. When i press phone app on 9800 it is instantly ready for dial. Z10 takes about 2 seconds. Not big deal but a little annoying some times.
    03-16-13 09:22 PM
    I've noticed it to be slow when swapping between All and Missed calls.
    03-16-13 09:26 PM
    Yep, it's definitely slower than any other app on the phone, except the settings app.

The settings app is obviously written in Adobe Air, but the phone app seems native from the way the drop down setting menu comes in. I'm guessing it still needs more optimization.

Also, with the phone app, I find that it's just the loading time that suffers. Once the page is loaded, it's really smooth.
    03-16-13 09:37 PM
    Agree with you guys - once the app is loaded - it's nice and smooth.

As for contacts, maybe that's it - I have about 40 calls logged for the most recent time period - and about 500 contact in my contact list.
    03-16-13 09:51 PM
    I am wondering why it's an app in the first place? Why does it not feel more baked into the OS like the hub?

I mean the hub is just there doesn't need to open up, load stuff or anything, I would think on a Phone that the phone part would be the same...

I have not been impressed with this or the settings app.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 10:06 PM
    I notice its a little laggy also. Hopefully the next upgrade improves it a little.

Maybe I should keep it open in active frames, might improve usage. I do use the phone a lot.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    03-16-13 10:07 PM
    I've had no problems with it though when you add a lot of favorites for speed dialing it takes a few seconds to load them especially if the contacts have pictures linked to them.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-13 10:15 PM
    i have a feeling that the phone app is written with adobe air as well. it is no BB7 with the hardware phone buttons and the phone app, written in java, always running in the background.
    03-17-13 01:11 AM
    Yep, it's definitely slower than any other app on the phone, except the settings app.

The settings app is obviously written in Adobe Air, but the phone app seems native from the way the drop down setting menu comes in. I'm guessing it still needs more optimization.

Also, with the phone app, I find that it's just the loading time that suffers. Once the page is loaded, it's really smooth.
    How are you sure that Settings app was written in Adobe Air? Even if it was written in Air what is the problem? we all know the entire Playbook Interface was written in Adobe Air and there is no lag. Blaming Adobe??
    03-17-13 01:43 AM
    How are you sure that Settings app was written in Adobe Air?
    This is a very well known fact.

Posted using BlackBerry 10
    03-17-13 02:01 AM
    I have also noticed that the phone app is laggy. Where I notice it is when I try and route the phone call to the speaker, takes way too long to transition.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:04 AM
    How are you sure that Settings app was written in Adobe Air? Even if it was written in Air what is the problem? we all know the entire Playbook Interface was written in Adobe Air and there is no lag. Blaming Adobe??
    It's a known fact. Also, the playbook compared to the Z10 is incredibly laggy, just as the settings app on the Z10 is laggy compared to the hub. Adobe Air is a horrid platform, and I'm *very* glad that Adobe decided to cease work on it, and BB moved on. I can honestly say that if BB10 was using Adobe Air instead of Cascades, I wouldn't have even bothered buying the Z10.
    03-17-13 02:08 AM
    It's a known fact. Also, the playbook compared to the Z10 is incredibly laggy, just as the settings app on the Z10 is laggy compared to the hub. Adobe Air is a horrid platform, and I'm *very* glad that Adobe decided to cease work on it, and BB moved on. I can honestly say that if BB10 was using Adobe Air instead of Cascades, I wouldn't have even bothered buying the Z10.
    Then why did BBRY choose to create Playbook OS inteface using Adobe Air if its a horrid platform? We still have air support deeply in BB10. If Adobe Air is horrible why are they still using it? Why is the settings menu not created using Cascades? what is the proof settings menu is created using Adobe Air? I am curious to know, thats all. Thanks.
    03-17-13 09:09 AM
    I am wondering why it's an app in the first place? Why does it not feel more baked into the OS like the hub?

I mean the hub is just there doesn't need to open up, load stuff or anything, I would think on a Phone that the phone part would be the same...

I have not been impressed with this or the settings app.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, absolutely!

It should definitely be more baked into the OS as opposed to launching a slow to load app. It just doesn't feel right.

Please BlackBerry fix this!

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 12:16 PM
    I notice that i have to wait a few seconds after opening the phone app before I'm able to push a speed dial button with any hope of it actually working.
    03-17-13 02:13 PM
    I have the issue where it is slow to load the phone app when I want to call, but more irritating is when I have an incoming call that I want to swipe up and ignore...as soon as you touch the screen it just goes black.

This just started recently along with the Android apps taking a long time to load. I'm thinking it might be time for a wipe.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:28 PM
    Good things will come in the next couple of updates.. Hopefully they will be pushed out every 4 weeks. BlackBerry is working hard in the background to keep us impressed.. I remember how bad my torch touch was for the first few months and they gradually made it into a great device, minus the screen.

Writing in air could had just been the smarter move under the time restraint of a BB10 launch. Their engineers knew it well and overall it works well. Settings and Phone are probably getting rewritten right now by a team and will come out smooth by summer..

They have a much smaller team to work with compared to the other 3 monstrosities. Id estimate half of Google's staff and a third of the Apple staff. Apple being 30'000 + store staff

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:30 PM
    I missed three calls the other day, I could swipe all I wanted, the phone wouldn't pick up. Though this is very frustrating it annoyes me to no end that I can't dial from the GAL or pull up these numbers without adding the people to my contacts. My 9900 did not have this problem.

Al

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 02:45 PM
    I wish you could default it to open to the dial pad. It would save the app having to scan all your contacts on open.
    Vector-SS and Bdot-1 like this.
    03-17-13 02:46 PM
    Yeah... the phone application is laggy... will take about 3-4 seconds to populate... STL100-1 running 10.0.10.82... have about 400 contacts... maybe I have to sit down to parse the contacts some day to bring it down.

Posted via CB10
    03-17-13 03:00 PM
    I have the issue where it is slow to load the phone app when I want to call, but more irritating is when I have an incoming call that I want to swipe up and ignore...as soon as you touch the screen it just goes black.

This just started recently along with the Android apps taking a long time to load. I'm thinking it might be time for a wipe.

Posted via CB10
    This happens because you're blocking the proximity sensor on the top of the device - the sensor that turns off the phones display when you hold it to your ear - it would appear they've made that ACTIVE when the call is in a pending state - so if you're receiving a call and have accept or decline it - and cover the top of your phone - it will go dark. Bug.
    03-17-13 10:54 PM
    This happens because you're blocking the proximity sensor on the top of the device - the sensor that turns off the phones display when you hold it to your ear - it would appear they've made that ACTIVE when the call is in a pending state - so if you're receiving a call and have accept or decline it - and cover the top of your phone - it will go dark. Bug.
    Apologize to contradict you but this phone app hang happens even when you are not covering the proximity sensor. But I agree that there is a bug. Maybe BlackBerry should come out with some sort of a patch. And now I can't add new contacts from the dial pad. Battery pull did not help either. Can we not group calls as it used to happen in legacy o's? Each call record is separate.

Posted via CB10
    03-18-13 04:09 AM
41 12