Hi everyone,

Had my new Z10 since Sunday and whilst I am not a new BlackBerry owner there is something baffling me about the phone. I ditched my memory card as Link has a habit of splitting the data between card and device as it sees it as one big storage device so I am only running the 16gb onbard now.

After transferring some of my videos and pictures to the device I have found I have 1 phantom folder supposedly containing 6 images (screenshot 1) and I have 2 phantom videos (screenshot 2) that I deleted from my device recently but they are still there. The pictures folder when opened is empty and the videos cannot be played.

I have so far tried:

• Deleting Everything
    • Powering Down the Device
    • Battery Pull for 30 Seconds
    • Letting Media Applications Index

If anybody has any insight to this I would be more than grateful. In saying I am not a new BB owner, I have had most devices from the 7230 to the Z10 and the PlayBook so technical knowledge and understanding is not a problem, but I'd like to get rid of the annoying phantom files!

Thanks,

Phantom Folders!-img_00000046.jpgPhantom Folders!-img_00000047.jpg
    Michael
    02-06-13 02:37 AM
    My money would be on android emulator based on similar playbook issues.
    Nothing exactly like this just duplicate files

I have so far tried:

Deleting Everything (HOW did you go about it?, steps id suggest format sd card, & leave out of z10/ factory reset phone, battery pull (for nostalgic reasons ) Carry On with new phone set-up...)
    Powering Down the Device
    Battery Pull for 30 Seconds
    Letting Media Applications Index
    Are You on a mac or used one to transfer files?
    Pretty much every folder on your hard disk is likely to contain a ".DS_Store" file. The main purpose of this file appears to be to boost the Finder's performance when displaying the folder contents to the user by acting as a "cache". Finder is prone to putting a ".DS_Store" file into every directory that you look at, even if you only have a quick browse on a external HDD
    To view them on a mac "Show invisible files in the Finder" in "Tools" menu and later de-activate it using "Hide invisible files in the Finder".

Good luck.
    Last edited by pcguy514; 02-06-13 at 03:58 AM. Reason: typos and clarifications..
    02-06-13 03:52 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply. No I haven't used a Mac, only a windows 7 machine. Resetting the whole phone seems quite an drastic measure I'd like to avoid especially since the backup I will make to restore my setting may keep the problem. I will see if there are any hidden files through windows and post back the reply.

I've been that used to finding all the support I've needed on os7 that I find this limbo period quote frustrating until people start finding fixes. Thank you for the quick reply and ill let you know how I get on.

Michael
    02-06-13 04:28 AM
    I'm seeing the same thing. I have an empty folder with 14 pictures supposedly. Deleting it doesn't work. I searched my media card for hidden files and there are none. It must be on the internal storage but for some reason I can't get that to mount on my PC at work.

Were you able to resolve this?
    02-07-13 11:02 AM
    Still haven't found a fix for it but glad to hear I am not alone and that it appears to be a bug. I have now ditched the Micro SD and transferred all of my stuff to the internal memory and these files still show and cannot be played/modified/deleted. For now I've given up and try to ignore them. They don't appear to be a problem as Link doesn't know they are there and they don't appear to be taking up space.

Michael
    02-07-13 02:09 PM
    Is there a misc/android/ folder? (Playbook hidden phantom file folder)
    Check in there see...
    02-07-13 03:18 PM
    I haven't been able to find a fix either. Tonight I hooked it up to my laptop and mounted both volumes. There's nothing I can find, hidden or not, that would cause this. Nothing in the Misc/Android folders either. Odd thing is, earlier there were 14 items in that folder and now there are 16. This is just really strange.
    02-07-13 09:49 PM
    Do you have "view hidden files and folders" enabled on Windows explorer.

Did you search the various media and DCIM folders in the android folder I mentioned...

Sorry I forgot to mention that before...
    02-08-13 12:31 PM
    Do you have "view hidden files and folders" enabled on Windows explorer.

Did you search the various media and DCIM folders in the android folder I mentioned...

Sorry I forgot to mention that before...
    yup, tried that too. Nothing in there. Tried to delete some of the android folders anyway but they appear to be protected.
    02-08-13 12:42 PM
    Can confirm that these folders and files are now gone on 10.0.10.90 on unlocked O2.

I guess persistence does pay off. Thanks Blackberry.

Michael

Posted via CB10
    03-09-13 01:30 AM