I have made changes to my Permissions on the downloaded apps- took off the internet and BBM for most of them, and now I notice that the battery life is fantastic. 20+ hours with medium to heavy use. Can anyone else give this a try and see if its just my imagination or if this really does affect battery?
    drum likes this.
    06-10-13 01:22 PM
    I have made changes to my Permissions on the downloaded apps- took off the internet and BBM for most of them, and now I notice that the battery life is fantastic. 20+ hours with medium to heavy use. Can anyone else give this a try and see if its just my imagination or if this really does affect battery?
    Can you be more specific about the apps and the permissions you turned off please? I would like to try this tip too, as I haven't been happy with my battery life recently.
    06-10-13 01:38 PM
    I had a lot of apps... Things like Image FX, Oregon Settler, Stickers, Camera Scanner, .... if it had a BBM or internet connection and didn't "need" it... (things like maps would have needed it for gps locating - but why would a picture editor app need to access BBM and internet?) i turned them all off.

I aslo got rid of the ones that had advertising at the top (ie: free solitaire showed ads on the top running, which needed the internet and you couldn't turn it off)

7 hours in now and still have 80% battery- using full synced email on 2 accounts, calls, bbm, texting, and playing about a half an hour of my game.

UPDATE: 12 hours in (almost) and 70% battery.

I am hoping someone can confirm this.
    Last edited by bros3n; 06-10-13 at 05:47 PM.
    06-10-13 02:22 PM
    Will give it a try and report soon.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 11:55 PM
    Will try this too.

Posted via CB10. BlackBerry Z10
    06-11-13 12:14 AM
    Bros3n your a genious

Following up to your tip,appears to work to improve battery life

Need others to try this and confirm

Pull Down from the Top

Choose - Settings
    Choose - Security and Privacy
    Choose - Applications Permissions

Open each app here and check the settings
    Look for this Connect to BBM Turn this feature off

So far this morning my phone is still at 90% normaly would have been down to 50%

Thanks again Bros3n

Posted via CB10. BlackBerry Z10
    06-11-13 09:33 AM
    Trying this too. Why do apps need access to two location settings?

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 09:58 AM
    Made the changes, will see how it does.
    06-11-13 10:10 AM
    Yes, it's just your imagination!!! LOL The battery is a weak point on the Z, as well documented in 1000+ threads extending back to March. This problem was quickly resolved on the Q by giving a 20% greater capacity battery. BUT the changes you made with permissions on your Z along with about 25 other adjustments (you should make, if not already) will drastically improve battery life.

No (super) smart phone today gets 20hrs: NIL, Squat, None on heavy usage, or what I'd call even medium usage. Frankly none get 12hrs. of heavy use...but the minimum goal is 8 hrs heavy, 12-14medium. The Q with its greater capacity battery should reach these goals; the Z is well under 8 even with all functions squeezed and less than 4 worked hard with out of the box settings.

Semantics aside, obviously if you are ecstatic, enjoy.
    06-11-13 10:33 AM
    I have also made the changes, seems decent so far! Awesome suggestion.

Posted via BlackBerry z10
    06-11-13 10:39 AM
    Yes, it's just your imagination!!! LOL The battery is a weak point on the Z, as well documented in 1000+ threads extending back to March. This problem was quickly resolved on the Q by giving a 20% greater capacity battery. BUT the changes you made with permissions on your Z along with about 25 other adjustments (you should make, if not already) will drastically improve battery life.

No (super) smart phone today gets 20hrs: NIL, Squat, None on heavy usage, or what I'd call even medium usage. Frankly none get 12hrs. of heavy use...but the minimum goal is 8 hrs heavy, 12-14medium. The Q with its greater capacity battery should reach these goals; the Z is well under 8 even with all functions squeezed and less than 4 worked hard with out of the box settings.

Semantics aside, obviously if you are ecstatic, enjoy.
    How do you explain this kind of drain at night. Screen is off and very few emails are being received. I have purged most of my apps and limited the other app permissions to virtually nothing. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Permissions and Battery life?-img_00000403.png
    06-11-13 11:07 AM
    Well I have taken off about 90% of my connect to BBM permission. I deleted I think 6 games that I never play and my screen brightness is down all the way which I don't mind at all Btw. I'm currently at 56% battery life from 11:30 a.m to 6.30 pm. Seven hours and 44% gone. Pretty decent I guess with moderate use, ive texted checked email, and even watch some of the Ign live feed for E3. Seems pretty good i guess.

06-11-13 05:28 PM
    I've tried this makes no difference to my Z-10. Honest I have my PlayBook charger at home which charges very quick as well as one in my truck. And the standard charger at the office. No doubt this phone goes through the juice quickly. I am a very heavy user. Doesn't matter turning the screen down and all other tricks. Doesn't work for me. Only thing is to have a charger around.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 06:13 PM
    I've tried this makes no difference to my Z-10. Honest I have my PlayBook charger at home which charges very quick as well as one in my truck. And the standard charger at the office. No doubt this phone goes through the juice quickly. I am a very heavy user. Doesn't matter turning the screen down and all other tricks. Doesn't work for me. Only thing is to have a charger around.

Posted via CB10
    Yea i guess that's just the nitty gritty truth.

06-11-13 07:08 PM
    The battery in my Z10 is decent. Lasts a full day, 12 hours +. Still turning off most of the permissions.
    06-11-13 07:39 PM
    That's interesting.. will go try that out.

Posted via CB10
    06-11-13 07:41 PM
    Very pleased with this suggestion. Battery life is much better. Thank you

Posted via CB10
    06-12-13 11:48 AM
    Since turning off the permissions, my battery life has greatly improved - unplugged yesterday at 6 AM, went til almost midnight and had 25% battery left. Moderate use to be sure, but email sync, bbm, text, playing my game (go Oregon Settler.. haha) phone calls etc.
    Thats 18 hours before plugging in again. Much better than I had (although on a minimal use day I would get about 10 hours).

I dont know why the apps need access to internet and or bbm. Taking that permission off did not hinder them at all, and it does appear to help with battery. I would think tho, that with them "accessing" internet and data, it would drain the battery.

I hope this helps some folks.
    06-12-13 04:32 PM
    good suggestion. yeah sometimes I wonder as well what's with the BBM connection here. hhm no wonder why sometimes my phone feels warm whenever not in use. I've turned this option off to all my installed apps except CB10 (coz I just love CB to have it LOL) as well as having turned the GPS location off to some of my apps which for me they make no sense for asking for GPS.

hopefully this will improve the battery life.

meanwhile, android apps, you have no access to modify their permissions though.
    06-12-13 05:50 PM
    Trying this too. Why do apps need access to two location settings?

Posted via CB10
    the Location uses the internet (cell tower proximity) to provide the location of your phone to the app while the GPS Location uses the sat nav coordinates which helps to boost the accuracy of the location itself.

of course, the more accuracy you get the more power is consumed. if you have apps and you can go about being a bit off the accuracy but still being detected, I suggest to have the GPS option turned off.
    willowbeast likes this.
    06-12-13 06:00 PM
    Dude thank you for that new find. I can squeeze one or two more hours from my battery after removing the permissions Plus it now runs cooler and no longer gets hot randomly.

Posted via CB10
    ATMJOE and yvpan1 like this.
    06-13-13 08:05 AM
    yeah this trick works. tried this today and yeah, throughout the day my phone almost never went warm without being used. the only thing it went a bit warm was because of the email sync as i have 6 email accounts (3 EAS & 3 yahoo -- stupid can't do push IMAP so need to set a poll time of 1 hour each) on the cellular network my phone's temperature now hovers at 22-25 degrees C in avg (previously it usually hovered at 28-30 dunno why) and max. 28 degs C when the sync takes place then after 2-3 mins the temperature cools down.

using the battery guru, i got the minimum power consumption of -0.10 to -0.12W on wifi an -0.22W on 3G, honestly i've never seen those figures before! in total, my phone can run up to 14 hours today with several long HD audio calls, receiving couple of texts, constant bbm (in average once every 15-20 mins) & whatsapp + whatsapp groups, fb chats & notifications push, several browsing and 6 email accounts.

i'm aiming for the 20 hour figure, i hope my phone can do that as this has proven it is on its right track with this setting.

coupled with the new .2312 BB 10.1 OS, i think this is the way it has to be. Keep moving!!!

BRING IT ON BB10.2!!
    06-13-13 09:05 AM
    I already get very good battery life but went ahead and did this anyway - in all honesty I should have done it before.... not a fan of all kinds of stupid apps having access to BBM and my shared files etc.

We'll see if it gives a bit of a boost. Thanks again!

-Chris-
    06-13-13 09:49 AM
    I haven't changed anything but compared to battery life right after updating to 10.1 now I'm getting VERY good battery life. After the update I was getting 8 hours battery life even with zero use but now I get 36 hours light use and 20 heavy use. Through the week making frequent phone calls I still manage to get 24 hours battery life easily.
    06-13-13 10:43 AM
    Ok I have to say a huge thanks for this - I cannot believe the change it made.

At 10:49 am I made this change, my battery was at 94%.

It is 1:04 pm and my battery is at 92%. It normally would have dropped to about 88-86% by now.

I'm stunned at how much those permissions were sucking out of the battery in the background.

I dropped to 15 ma use with the phone idling from about 125 ma... and my cpu temp is sitting at 23 degrees. It's NEVER below 26.

Thanks again for such a simple suggestion that many have probably overlooked.

-Chris-
    06-13-13 12:05 PM
29 12