Today I had a job interview for a sales associate position at Radio Shack. I'm just looking for a summer job while away from university. Anyway, I kind of knew what to expect from the interview and heard that sometimes, the interviewers ask candidates to make a sales pitch on either their cell phone or another electronic device of choice in the store. I was a bit nervous about that coming In, as I'd never working in a commission-based environment before.

During the interview, I began to talk about my college work and my future goals. I'm a computer science major and told him that smartphones really exploded my interest in the field and compelled me to follow that course of study. I noticed that he uses a 9800, but when it rang he said he was "ashamed" of it.

He then asked me to take out my phone and "sell" it to him as if he were a customer. Needless to say, this was the easiest, most fun part of the interview. I took my Z10 out and put it in his hands and told him I do this for anyone who's interested in my phone. I first told him how to unlock the device, and then demonstrated the different gestures and features like Peek, Flow, the Hub, and the keyboard (kinda felt a bit like Mr. Gadway of BlackBerry). At the end of that part of the interview, he told me to take my phone away from him before "I never see it again." All the while, he seemed genuinely impressed with it.

I think it goes without saying that this was the most fun job interview I've ever had. Hopefully, another BlackBerry user stays a BlackBerry user!
    TimJohnSmith and Korepab like this.
    05-23-13 06:04 PM
    Today I had a job interview for a sales associate position at Radio Shack. I'm just looking for a summer job while away from university. Anyway, I kind of knew what to expect from the interview and heard that sometimes, the interviewers ask candidates to make a sales pitch on either their cell phone or another electronic device of choice in the store. I was a bit nervous about that coming In, as I'd never working in a commission-based environment before.

During the interview, I began to talk about my college work and my future goals. I'm a computer science major and told him that smartphones really exploded my interest in the field and compelled me to follow that course of study. I noticed that he uses a 9800, but when it rang he said he was "ashamed" of it.

He then asked me to take out my phone and "sell" it to him as if he were a customer. Needless to say, this was the easiest, most fun part of the interview. I took my Z10 out and put it in his hands and told him I do this for anyone who's interested in my phone. I first told him how to unlock the device, and then demonstrated the different gestures and features like Peek, Flow, the Hub, and the keyboard (kinda felt a bit like Mr. Gadway of BlackBerry). At the end of that part of the interview, he told me to take my phone away from him before "I never see it again." All the while, he seemed genuinely impressed with it.

I think it goes without saying that this was the most fun job interview I've ever had. Hopefully, another BlackBerry user stays a BlackBerry user!
    Did you get the job tho? Lol
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    05-23-13 06:07 PM
    Great story, Flash!

Good luck with getting the job But keep that Zed hidden from prying eyes, lol
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    05-23-13 06:09 PM
    Did you get the job tho? Lol
    Nice story and all, but what the quoted user asked :P
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    05-23-13 06:10 PM
    Yes, we're all eager to know :-)

Did you get the job?

Posted via my Z10
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    05-23-13 06:14 PM
    Oh, sorry. I did! Thanks for asking, everyone!
    05-23-13 06:19 PM
    Nice. I am VP of Sales and if I can suggest rather than product push at the first engagement, dig into his must have and nice to have requirements for a mobile device. Then you can build a solution naturally suggesting BlackBerry, focusing on his needs matched to the features of blackberry.

Nice on the spot instincts though.

Posted from my Z10
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    05-23-13 06:29 PM
    congrats!!!!
    FlashFlare11 likes this.
    05-23-13 06:29 PM
    Nice. I am VP of Sales and if I can suggest rather than product push at the first engagement, dig into his must have and nice to have requirements for a mobile device. Then you can build a solution naturally suggesting BlackBerry, focusing on his needs matched to the features of blackberry.

Posted from my Z10
    True but the guy asked him to pull out HIS phone and SELL it to him.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 06:42 PM

Posted from my Z10
    Thanks for the advice! That definitely would've been my approach if I had a variety of devices to match a person with.

I haven't yet decided to take this job as I have another interview somewhere else. Thanks again, though, everyone!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 06:43 PM
    True but the guy asked him to pull out HIS phone and SELL it to him.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't change anything. Customer focus selling is about understanding them completely and offering insight he is not aware of. I would have started on his comment about the Torch. What was causing him discontent, what he needed in a mobile device etc. Then pull out the the z10 and match up or exceed the expectation where I could. People want to buy from leaders with insight not pushers. Think of the slick hair used car sales man analogy. Couldn't care less about you, only the sale.

Posted from my Z10
    05-23-13 07:24 PM
    That doesn't change anything. Customer focus selling is about understanding them completely and offering insight he is not aware of. I would have started on his comment about the Torch. What was causing him discontent, what he needed in a mobile device etc. Then pull out the the z10 and match up or exceed the expectation where I could. People want to buy from leaders with insight not pushers. Think of the slick hair used car sales man analogy. Couldn't care less about you, only the sale.

Posted from my Z10
    True enough.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 07:44 PM