Went to the Bell store today, the Z10 demo unit was missing and the rep said that someone stole it, right in front of the camera. He must have wanted it pretty badly eh?

Funnily enough, I get home and tell my girlfriend this same story, and she said that she was in the Rogers store and there was one stolen there as well.

Both were literally ripped off the holsters, the battery cover was still attached to the cord.

Both of these stores were in downtown Toronto.

Some people want it real bad.
    tryfe and SDTRMG like this.
    02-20-13 05:42 PM
    I guess they can sell them on ebay for $700+ right?

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 05:45 PM
    yeah i have heard this happening before with the demo phones. You can lock them down hard and people still find a way to steal stuff
    02-20-13 05:48 PM
    Both of these stores were in downtown Toronto.
    i expect no less from the great citizens of toronto. they are a crafty bunch.
    02-20-13 06:02 PM
    Z10 display at Wally World in Burlington...breathe on it and the alarm goes off

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 06:40 PM
    i expect no less from the great citizens of toronto. they are a crafty bunch.
    I would say the same in New York, Montreal, Winnipeg & a few other cities. I have gone to new york last year & went to a few cellphone stores. Some of their devices were stolen. I do agree that some people in Toronto do it but its the ones that give a bad name / rep on the ones that live here & do not do that lol
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 06:43 PM
    It must take a bit of effort, they are really clamped into those new steel display stands. They'd have to do damage to the sides of the phone ripping them out.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 06:47 PM
    It must take a bit of effort, they are really clamped into those new steel display stands. They'd have to do damage to the sides of the phone ripping them out.

Posted via CB10
    Some stores do not use that. They just use the alarm wire on the back of the device with the square sticky. Most Rogers stores tho use the steel displays tho.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 06:52 PM
    Won't these be PIN blocked as soon as they are noted as stolen or placed in the big blacklisted imei database?
    02-20-13 06:52 PM
    Both were literally ripped off the holsters, the battery cover was still attached to the cord.

Wonder if they'll sell me the battery cover so I can stick it on my white Z10 and make an Oreo phone.
    02-20-13 07:07 PM
    Watch for Z10 battery covers to get bid up to $300 a piece on eBay
    02-20-13 07:09 PM
    Won't these be PIN blocked as soon as they are noted as stolen or placed in the big blacklisted imei database?
    They'll still sell them to someone who doesn't know any better.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 07:48 PM
    The Z10 displays in the stores (I've been to 4 different rogers stores and a Walmart and a Source) and they all have the retail lock on them as far as the software goes. So I don't know if they would be able to bypass that or not...
    02-20-13 08:32 PM
    Seen the demo missing at the Source store in Eaton Center in Montreal. Usually its the iPhone... but now they have the iPhone and the Z10 missing!
    Nobst likes this.
    02-20-13 08:40 PM
    The Z10 displays in the stores (I've been to 4 different rogers stores and a Walmart and a Source) and they all have the retail lock on them as far as the software goes. So I don't know if they would be able to bypass that or not...
    well, the rep at my local store removed that completely when she had the device for personal testing. so it can be removed.
    02-20-13 08:48 PM
    You know, people often post "picked up a Z10", rarely, "I bought a Z10".

I wonder how many "pick it up" from the store and walk (run) away
    BergerKing, ddlax22, ktr04 and 5 others like this.
    02-20-13 08:48 PM
    In my Rogers store they put the security device on the glass screen. They glued it onto the top left hand corner of the screen.

You will break the glass I believe getting rid of that.

Posted via CB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 08:58 PM
    Yeah when I use to work retail I learned if people want them, they'll take them. We use to get in trouble. I still don't understand why because it wasn't our fault, and we did all we could. But the big wigs would get mad. Oh well not my problem.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 08:58 PM
    Although no one steals anything where I live (Qatar). Vodafone Qatar stores, all of them got sensors if any of the phones on display was treated a bit violent the whole store lights will flash fast and the emergency alarm starts.

Bell didn't have such a system. At least Bell should have expected something happening. But in Qatar it never ever happened before. Except when kids drop the demo units by mistake and activates the emergency system #facepalm

Posted via CB10
    02-20-13 09:11 PM
    People these days will steal anything that isn't nailed down, and some of them will bring a crowbar to even handle that.
    bp3dots likes this.
    02-20-13 09:12 PM
    Now that's a 5 finger discount.
    BergerKing and convenor like this.
    02-20-13 09:21 PM
    yeah i have heard this happening before with the demo phones. You can lock them down hard and people still find a way to steal stuff
    Yep, our SGS3 was a victim of that. I have no idea how they got it out of the steel bracket without breaking the screen, and getting the back off.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-20-13 09:22 PM
    Lol @ people not stealing in Qatar. You get your hands chopped off if you do. I doubt anyone would want to trade a hand for z10.

Toronto never ceases to amaze me.

Posted via CB10
    3hb78ftg and bert106 like this.
    02-20-13 09:26 PM
    I used to work for Bell at numerous locations including the Eaton centre and phones getting ripped off are nothing new, we would just replace them and thats it. Usually iphones but I rememer somebody even shaved off the corners on the playbook in order to take it. No matter what security we use they find a way to get past it.
    02-20-13 10:13 PM
    Oh the thirst. Oh well pin blocked
    02-20-13 11:10 PM
77 123 ...