Pentagon Will Open Networks to Apple, Google Devices in 2014 - Bloomberg

By Brendan McGarry

Feb. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Defense Department said today it plans to open its networks by next February to about 100,000 mobile phones and tablet computers made by companies such as Apple Inc. and Google Inc.

The move may pose a threat to BlackBerry, the Pentagon�s biggest supplier of smart phones. The Waterloo, Ontario-based company has lost market share to competitors and aims to make a comeback with its new BlackBerry 10 phone. The device will go on sale in the U.S. next month.
    The Pentagon said it wants employees to have the flexibility to use commercial products on classified and unclassified networks. It plans to create a military mobile applications store and hire a contractor to build a system that may eventually handle as many as 8 million devices.
    �This is not simply about embracing the newest technology �- it is about keeping the department�s workforce relevant in an era when information accessibility and cybersecurity play a critical role in mission success,� Teri Takai, the department�s chief information officer, said in a statement.

The Pentagon has more than 600,000 mobile devices, including 470,000 BlackBerrys, 41,000 Apple products and 8,700 platforms running Google�s Android operating system, according to the statement. The military has relied on BlackBerrys, and it has been testing the Apple and Google Android devices.

The networks will remain closed to personal wireless devices for now, according to the Defense Department. The recent bring-your-own-device trend in the civilian workplace �presents many compelling benefits,� though existing Pentagon policies and security vulnerabilities �prevent the adoption of devices that are unapproved and procured outside of official government acquisition,� Takai said in an attachment to a memo dated Feb. 15 and released today.
    nocturnal123 likes this.
    02-26-13 09:22 AM
    Heh - If you think Julian Assanage (sp?) had cables and dossiers for NATSEC - what floodgate will this open??? StealthBomber Drone XY9000 blueprints on the internets - build your own at home?!!
    oy vey iz mir OH WEH!
    02-26-13 09:40 AM
    Heh - If you think Julian Assanage (sp?) had cables and dossiers for NATSEC - what floodgate will this open??? StealthBomber Drone XY9000 blueprints on the internets - build your own at home?!!
    oy vey iz mir OH WEH!
    LOL!!!! Someone give this man a prize!
    bunky1971 and SDTRMG like this.
    02-26-13 10:01 AM
    Interesting. Motorola Solutions and Samsung already have FIPS devices.
    bp3dots likes this.
    02-26-13 10:06 AM
    It'll be interesting to know how much each type of device (BB, Apple, Android) will need to be locked down for security purposes in those "unclassified and classified networks" ...in other words how limited in the flexibility will the use of each phone will be based on security concerns.
    CDM76 and meganVee like this.
    02-26-13 10:12 AM
    This was inevitable. Not spectacular news but it reflects the reality that BB isn't the only game in town for secure mobile anymore.

Hopefully there will be an opportunity for BB to compete for the MDM component of this new platform.

Posted via CB10
    m0de25 likes this.
    02-26-13 10:21 AM
    It'll be interesting to know how much each type of device (BB, Apple, Android) will need to be locked down for security purposes in those "unclassified and classified networks" ...in other words how limited in the flexibility will the use of each phone will be based on security concerns.
    My guess? They will not look like the consumer variants at all. These phones won't make any new consumer fans... LOL.
    02-26-13 10:46 AM
    My guess? They will not look like the consumer variants at all. These phones won't make any new consumer fans... LOL.
    I’m guessing the folks in the security business probably don’t care for the consumer aspect outside of a particular platform user experience. Do you like iOS simplified experience, Droid optionality or BB10 Flow...

I’m guessing the recent iOS security issues and android malware issues aren’t that concerning because these devices will be locked down well beyond what and ordinary user would ever want.

I guess the bigger question is, will corporations see the Pentagon moving in this direction and jump on the BYOD bandwagon faster.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-26-13 11:01 AM
    I’m guessing the folks in the security business probably don’t care for the consumer aspect outside of a particular platform user experience. Do you like iOS simplified experience, Droid optionality or BB10 Flow...

I’m guessing the recent iOS security issues and android malware issues aren’t that concerning because these devices will be locked down well beyond what and ordinary user would ever want.

I guess the bigger question is, will corporations see the Pentagon moving in this direction and jump on the BYOD bandwagon faster.
    I agree. Any customization advantage Android may have had will be non-existent to the Enterprise end user. Gone.

I believe every inch of space given up is not good, but I don't see the mass BYOD exodus some folks have been predicting anytime soon. My biggest concern is the Samsungs of the world can afford to wait.
    02-26-13 11:27 AM
    Pentagon Will Open Networks to Apple, Google Devices in 2014 - Bloomberg

By Brendan McGarry

Feb. 26 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Defense Department said today it plans to open its networks by next February to about 100,000 mobile phones and tablet computers made by companies such as Apple Inc. and Google Inc.

The move may pose a threat to BlackBerry, the Pentagon�s biggest supplier of smart phones. The Waterloo, Ontario-based company has lost market share to competitors and aims to make a comeback with its new BlackBerry 10 phone. The device will go on sale in the U.S. next month.
    The Pentagon said it wants employees to have the flexibility to use commercial products on classified and unclassified networks. It plans to create a military mobile applications store and hire a contractor to build a system that may eventually handle as many as 8 million devices.
    �This is not simply about embracing the newest technology �- it is about keeping the department�s workforce relevant in an era when information accessibility and cybersecurity play a critical role in mission success,� Teri Takai, the department�s chief information officer, said in a statement.

The Pentagon has more than 600,000 mobile devices, including 470,000 BlackBerrys, 41,000 Apple products and 8,700 platforms running Google�s Android operating system, according to the statement. The military has relied on BlackBerrys, and it has been testing the Apple and Google Android devices.

The networks will remain closed to personal wireless devices for now, according to the Defense Department. The recent bring-your-own-device trend in the civilian workplace �presents many compelling benefits,� though existing Pentagon policies and security vulnerabilities �prevent the adoption of devices that are unapproved and procured outside of official government acquisition,� Takai said in an attachment to a memo dated Feb. 15 and released today.
    Oops didn't mean to like

Posted via CB10
    02-26-13 11:30 AM
    This was inevitable. Not spectacular news but it reflects the reality that BB isn't the only game in town for secure mobile anymore.

Hopefully there will be an opportunity for BB to compete for the MDM component of this new platform.

Posted via CB10
    True BUT Blackberry has far better security on their mobile then IOS or Android. If the Pentragon is going to do this, let them get all the melware & hackers. I will be laughing when that happens.
    02-26-13 11:43 AM
    True BUT Blackberry has far better security on their mobile then IOS or Android. If the Pentragon is going to do this, let them get all the melware & hackers. I will be laughing when that happens.
    I think it helps to understand the risks involved, and to adjust your mindset accordingly. Now, if you think the Pentagon is inept enough to allow devices that don't meet a specific security requirement, then the whole point is moot.

Also, laughing at a Pentagon issue may not be too self-serving. I think we ALL benefit when things run smoothly there.
    adjdudley21, CDM76 and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-26-13 11:49 AM
    I think it helps to understand the risks involved, and to adjust your mindset accordingly. Now, if you think the Pentagon is inept enough to allow devices that don't meet a specific security requirement, then the whole point is moot.

Also, laughing at a Pentagon issue may not be too self-serving. I think we ALL benefit when things run smoothly there.
    If they do that, i will laugh because only morons will pick IOS & Android over BB security. If the Pentagon goes that way, i am say for sure many will get their **** hacked & have issues. I could care less anyways as i do not live in the states.
    mooda, CDM76, Jake2826 and 2 others like this.
    02-26-13 11:51 AM
    I think people have been waiting for enterprise iOS and Android to get hacked or blown up but i don't think that's happened yet. Yes the devices can be rooted/jailbroken but the security layers 3rd party companies add to these systems keep enterprise data safe. So yes, iOS 6.1.1 can grant access to your contacts, phones etc... but corporate data is still sandboxed so you need to first get into the phone, then into that corporate sandbox.

As long as iOS/Droid keep refining their device security, enterprise customers will continue to view them in a positive light.

As for the Pentagon, i'm not concerned about them being able to secure devices. There's an entire service industry around that... if the President is rolling with an Ipad, think the necessary security measures have been taken.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    02-26-13 11:59 AM
    If they do that, i will laugh because only morons will pick IOS & Android over BB security. If the Pentagon goes that way, i am say for sure many will get their **** hacked & have issues. I could care less anyways as i do not live in the states.
    Ah, I see. Kind of like I don't care what happens with other nuclear powers. Because, you see, I don't live there. I laugh when they all fail.

Or...

We can have a semi-logical and educational discussion that informs us and others...
    02-26-13 11:59 AM
    I think people have been waiting for enterprise iOS and Android to get hacked or blown up but i don't think that's happened yet. Yes the devices can be rooted/jailbroken but the security layers 3rd party companies add to these systems keep enterprise data safe. So yes, iOS 6.1.1 can grant access to your contacts, phones etc... but corporate data is still sandboxed so you need to first get into the phone, then into that corporate sandbox.

As long as iOS/Droid keep refining their device security, enterprise customers will continue to view them in a positive light.

As for the Pentagon, i'm not concerned about them being able to secure devices. There's an entire service industry around that... if the President is rolling with an Ipad, think the necessary security measures have been taken.
    Careful with the logic there...

But yes, I agree: BBRY cannot afford to pray for a security apocalypse as a valid response to incursions of competitors into its Enterprise strongholds.
    jdhooghe and Drew808 like this.
    02-26-13 12:02 PM
    This is great news!!!

...for China.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    02-26-13 12:04 PM
    This is great news!!!

...for China.
    I think anyone who thinks any device or system can’t be hacked is fooling themselves. The Chinese are on a quest for information so if they wanted to gain access badly enough, they would find a way.

I think the risk is even greater for Blackberry... should they ever get compromised, it could undermine the one constant enterprise & public view them for.

A Droid/iOS gets hacked... well big whoop... they weren’t on Blackberry’s level anyway.

Blackberry gets hacked...
    CDM76 and darkehawke like this.
    02-26-13 12:22 PM
    "The networks will remain closed to personal wireless devices for now, according to the Defense Department. The recent bring-your-own-device trend in the civilian workplace “presents many compelling benefits,” though existing Pentagon policies and security vulnerabilities “prevent the adoption of devices that are unapproved and procured outside of official government acquisition,” Takai said in an attachment to a memo dated Feb. 15 and released today."

This is the important paragraph in the press release.... No BYOD happening at the Pentagon, now or in the future. And you can bet that any of the 100,000 non-Blackberry devices that they might allow won't be getting near touching any secured/hardened internal system!
    02-26-13 12:28 PM
    I think anyone who thinks any device or system can�t be hacked is fooling themselves. The Chinese are on a quest for information so if they wanted to gain access badly enough, they would find a way.

I think the risk is even greater for Blackberry... should they ever get compromised, it could undermine the one constant enterprise & public view them for.

A Droid/iOS gets hacked... well big whoop... they weren�t on Blackberry�s level anyway.

Blackberry gets hacked...
    Agreed, but I think some are gonna be more susceptible to compromise then others.

Sent from  using Tapatalk
    02-26-13 12:31 PM
    Careful with the logic there...

But yes, I agree: BBRY cannot afford to pray for a security apocalypse as a valid response to incursions of competitors into its Enterprise strongholds.
    It's bad business and bad karma to make your competition's vulnerabilities part of your business model and pray they mess up. As it happens, I do believe that BB is more secure, and is going to become the preferred choice in enterprise. It just won't be the ONLY choice anymore, and that was bound to happen at some point.
    02-26-13 12:36 PM
    I think people have been waiting for enterprise iOS and Android to get hacked or blown up but i don't think that's happened yet.
    Exactly. I am still waiting for all the evidence, news stories, outrage, etc., over a major security violation that a large enterprise has suffered due to iPhone or Android use.
    Moonbase0ne and jdhooghe like this.
    02-26-13 12:42 PM
    It's bad business and bad karma to make your competition's vulnerabilities part of your business model and pray they mess up. As it happens, I do believe that BB is more secure, and is going to become the preferred choice in enterprise. It just won't be the ONLY choice anymore, and that was bound to happen at some point.
    I don't disagree, but I do wonder if potentially losing the consumer battle would not impact its Enterprise position.
    02-26-13 12:45 PM
    Interesting. Motorola Solutions and Samsung already have FIPS devices.
    If you run a very specific version of the OS. Want to update to the latest, too bad if the latest isn't FIPS approved. BB10's approval is fairly broad and allows for updates as long as the crypto kernel is a certain version and Neutrino is version 6.6. From the looks of this the Pentagon will need to implement something else that has the FIPS because Apple doesn't have anything approved currently. Also the end solution could end up being BES10 with Apple and Android support.
    02-26-13 12:54 PM
    If you run a very specific version of the OS. Want to update to the latest, too bad if the latest isn't FIPS approved. BB10's approval is fairly broad and allows for updates as long as the crypto kernel is a certain version and Neutrino is version 6.6. From the looks of this the Pentagon will need to implement something else that has the FIPS because Apple doesn't have anything approved currently. Also the end solution could end up being BES10 with Apple and Android support.
    Interesting advantage re: upgradeability. I didn't realize that.

Does BES10 supporting Apple Android: does this hurt BB, or do they make revenue from it? Does it shift BBRY towards being the software services entity some have been suggesting?
    02-26-13 01:15 PM
95 123 ...