Today one of those moments happened when you realize what a powerful thing the peek gesture is.

I was just dialling a friend and as soon as the call screen came up I noticed the red light blinking. Without even thinking I quickly peeked into the hub to see who the message was from. Turned out to be a bbm from my niece (so nothing urgent lol)
    Just thinking how you would do this on other phones including bbos means you'd probably never do it and you'd wait until after you end the call. Peak did it before the other person even answered.

Cool or what!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 02:14 PM
    On Android you'd see it right away in the status bar. Pulling down would give you additional info...

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk 2
    jdhooghe, mikeo007, kalok and 2 others like this.
    02-24-13 02:28 PM
    Just thinking how you would do this on other phones including bbos means you'd probably never do it and you'd wait until after you end the call. Peak did it before the other person even answered.

Cool or what!

Posted via CB10
    Huh. Drag the notification shade down, flip it back up. This is even faster than the peek gesture, specially if the hub is showing you the previous notification. On android, you may decide not to even peek at all based on the little notification icon and/or custom sound.
    mikeo007 and Drew808 like this.
    02-24-13 02:28 PM
    Sorry, not as quick and smooth as peek and while dialing. One hand, one thumb, one smooth motion.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 02:41 PM
    The beauty with peek is you only need to swipe up about half an inch from the bottom then over slightly to the right to reveal the Hub. The way most people hold their phones, their thumb is going to be naturally closer to the bottom and not require a repositioning of the device in hand to reach the top like swipe down notification systems.
    02-24-13 02:41 PM
    Im a big fan of the peek. I live in the hub unless Im doing something, and then I cant help but peek when I get a message
    maddie1128 likes this.
    02-24-13 02:46 PM
    Sorry, not as quick and smooth as peek and while dialing. One hand, one thumb, one smooth motion.

Posted via CB10
    Doing nothing but looking at the status bar is not as quick or smooth???

Drew808 likes this.
    02-24-13 02:50 PM
    Doing nothing but looking at the status bar is not as quick or smooth???

Peeking into the hub shows you who the message is from as well as the subject of the email or beginning of a text or bbm (first few words)

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 02:53 PM
    I feel like people really misunderstand the peek. The idea *isnt* that it's faster than pulling down the notification shade in Android/iOS, but that the notifications take ZERO screen real estate. Every square inch of the screen is devoted to your app while still having notifications as easily accessible as if they were always visible. The real powerful part is the hub. Not having to open 5 different apps to use 5 different Messaging platforms is amazing!

Anyways, for the peek thing, I had a Nexus 4 before I got the Z10. That thing constantly used maybe 10% of screen real estate just for the buttons and notifications. It was really annoying. That's where BlackBerry really did something special. Apps take the entire screen.

Peeking into the hub shows you who the message is from as well as the subject of the email or beginning of a text or bbm (first few words)

Posted via CB10
    So does pulling down the notification tray. That's not the point. Read my post please!
    02-24-13 02:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    As does the status bar. When a new notification arrives, it's displayed in the status bar fully before it is shrunk to an icon.

If you missed that display, pull down the notifications halfway, read the full info (again), and let go, no need to swipe up. Same as bb...

mikeo007 likes this.
    02-24-13 02:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    As does a notification center for all other platforms
    02-24-13 02:58 PM
    As does the status bar. When a new notification arrives, it's displayed in the status bar fully before it is shrunk to an icon.

If you missed that display, pull down the notifications halfway, read the full info (again), and let go, no need to swipe up. Same as bb...

I don't think think you understood this was done while the phone was dialing a number, before the other person answered. Not on Home screen or in an app.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 03:05 PM
    Anyways, for the peek thing, I had a Nexus 4 before I got the Z10. That thing constantly used maybe 10% of screen real estate just for the buttons and notifications. It was really annoying. That's where BlackBerry really did something special. Apps take the entire screen.
    I agree that the lack of static (not app specific) buttons is original and special to bb and I like that very much!

I do like the status bar though, I feel more comfortable having the status info always visible. But that's a matter of taste. If you really dislike it, it can be turned off, though, as can the on screen buttons...

02-24-13 03:07 PM
    I don't think think you understood this was done while the phone was dialing a number, before the other person answered. Not on Home screen or in an app.

Posted via CB10
    It works the same way from the phone app as well.
    mikeo007 and 21stNow like this.
    02-24-13 03:07 PM
    I agree that the lack of static (not app specific) buttons is original and special to bb and I like that very much!

I do like the status bar though, I feel more comfortable having the status info always visible. But that's a matter of taste. If you really dislike it, it can be turned off, though, as can the on screen buttons...

I personally don't like the status bar, but you're right, it is taste. You definitely can't turn it off in Android though. I think certain ROMs might have that feature, but certainly not stock Android. Same thing goes for the buttons. There is no way of hiding them in stock Android, and even with custom ROMs, the alternate controls employed if you choose to hide them are absolutely ridiculous and not intuitive at all.
    02-24-13 03:10 PM
    Wow, arguing over an obvious plus for bb10. Nice.
    Peek Tip: instead of trying to peek by swiping up and then to the right - just swipe from bottom left diagonally up to right. Slow to peek.

Posted via CB10
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    02-24-13 03:11 PM
    Peek Tip: instead of trying to peek by swiping up and then to the right - just swipe from bottom left diagonally up to right. Slow to peek.

Posted via CB10
    Why would you do that? Part of the cleanliness of peak is that it gives you a simple icon. Oftentimes, that icon alone tells you whether something is urgent or not. If you wanted to *always* see the content/sender of the message, then that works, but most people don't.
    02-24-13 03:15 PM
    Why would you do that? Part of the cleanliness of peak is that it gives you a simple icon. Oftentimes, that icon alone tells you whether something is urgent or not. If you wanted to *always* see the content/sender of the message, then that works, but most people don't.
    It makes no difference, if you don't lift your finger off the screen you can still return to where he were in one smooth motion.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 03:17 PM

Posted via CB10
    Can't a guy enjoy a bit of peek?

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 03:21 PM
    if i had an adroid i would be on a different forum.
    02-24-13 03:26 PM
    Exactly!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 03:28 PM
    I personally don't like the status bar, but you're right, it is taste. You definitely can't turn it off in Android though. I think certain ROMs might have that feature, but certainly not stock Android. Same thing goes for the buttons. There is no way of hiding them in stock Android, and even with custom ROMs, the alternate controls employed if you choose to hide them are absolutely ridiculous and not intuitive at all.
    You don't need a custom ROM, it's possible on stock, too, but you need to be rooted, that's true.

There's a rather awesome app, gmd gesture control, that allows you to hide them and you can define whatever gestures you imagine. Among the gesture individual definitions are: how many fingers, start point, path. The action triggered can be any action/app.

I agree, it's nicer to have it from the very beginning built in as has bb. On the other hand, it shows the degree of customization possible, or in other terms, the ability to adapt to individual user preferences and taste.

I do like what bb did, it's a refreshing new approach and feels comfortable. But up to now, it's on interaction (which is a very important aspect), but not functionality.

02-24-13 03:31 PM
    if i had an adroid i would be on a different forum.
    That's a very good position to take, will make infinite numbers of users switch to BB...

02-24-13 03:33 PM
    You don't need a custom ROM, it's possible on stock, too, but you need to be rooted, that's true.

There's a rather awesome app, gmd gesture control, that allows you to hide them and you can define whatever gestures you imagine. Among the gesture individual definitions are: how many fingers, start point, path. The action triggered can be any action/app.

I agree, it's nicer to have it from the very beginning built in as has bb. On the other hand, it shows the degree of customization possible, or in other terms, the ability to adapt to individual user preferences and taste.

I do like what bb did, it's a refreshing new approach and feels comfortable. But up to now, it's on interaction (which is a very important aspect), but not functionality.

Can we not bring rooted androids into discussion please.

Posted via CB10
    02-24-13 03:40 PM
    My boss is now moving over to the Z10 from iPhone5 and peek is one of the biggest selling points for him on the Z10. Not raving about another convert...just an example of how much people really do like the Hub peek. Funny how some of the seemingly minute features draw people in.
    02-24-13 03:41 PM
141 123 ...