Does anyone know if there is a way to create a password protected, or other type of secure document folder on the z10? Thanks for the help
    Last edited by twbtr; 05-27-13 at 07:43 PM.
    05-27-13 06:57 PM
    I use "password keeper ", which you can find in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 08:45 PM
    Thanks for the info, I checked it out on BBworld. Im really need something that I can keep actual documents that I take from the computer to my phone secure, does this app give you that ability?
    05-27-13 09:08 PM
    No password keeper isn't what you are looking for.

I don't know of an app for your needs unfortunately. Hopefully someone else can assist. Password keeper will only store passwords (for websites etc). No files or folders.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10 Oreo
    05-27-13 09:13 PM
    Ok thanks thats what i was seeing from the description I read
    05-27-13 09:16 PM
    coming in 10.3. Maybe.

No 1st party way to do this yet, do not know about any third party applications.
    05-27-13 09:18 PM
    Ok disappointing but ill get by, thanks for the input!
    05-27-13 09:28 PM
    What you can do is create password protection on your Windows machine (ms office has this capacity) and copy the file to your BlackBerry. The pw protection stays intact.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:15 PM
    I am actually looking for something similar. An app that password protects or encrypts files. It'd be very handy for when uploading to any of the out of the box cloud services we have (Box, Dropbox, Evernote, desktop via Link).

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 11:18 PM
    Why not just use Dropbox for a password protected folder? There are ways to store passord protected documents on the device, but nothing I know of that offers password protected folders on BB.
    05-27-13 11:37 PM
    There is several apps that offer up similar to what you're looking for. The one I use is called File Vault. It allows you to hide specific folders and password lock the app itself. It's a bit on the sluggish side but it does work. If you look around, I'm sure you'll find others as well.
    05-27-13 11:42 PM
    I might be old fashioned but im just not crazy about putting sensitive documents into cloud storage, im sure they are secure but I feel thats just one more copy floating around in cyberspace. I looked up the vault app, it looks promising, I think I will give it a test drive tomorrow. A quick question about it; are the files protected when the z10 is plugged into a PC or do i still need to make the files password protected on the PC as well?
    05-27-13 11:55 PM
    I might be old fashioned but im just not crazy about putting sensitive documents into cloud storage, im sure they are secure but I feel thats just one more copy floating around in cyberspace. I looked up the vault app, it looks promising, I think I will give it a test drive tomorrow. A quick question about it; are the files protected when the z10 is plugged into a PC or do i still need to make the files password protected on the PC as well?
    Any folders I 'hide' on my device remain hidden on my Mac as well. Can't speak for PC but I assume it would be the same. They don't show up in Link or by simply browsing the storage. I doubt it's encrypting the files but rather, just changing the extension to one that's not really readable. Like a .noindex or similar. Again, not exactly what you're looking for but it is, at the very least, an option to consider.
    twbtr likes this.
    05-28-13 12:38 AM
    The best way is to use Blackberry Balance and create a folder within the work space. The work space is separate from the personal space and is protected by a password.

Of course it's not a SIMPLE solution as you'd need a Server and a BES in order to use BlackBerry Balance.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 12:43 AM
    I have been wondering this is well since I bought my Z10, and actually created a thread on it a long time ago that didn't get any useful info. Thanks for the info Bla1ze. On a related note, does anyone know what the protected_media folder is used for under Device in File Manager. I can't move files to it and have never had any files placed into it by any apps, etc and don't really understand how it is "protected". I looked for info in the Z10 manual, but haven't found anything and posted the question a while back and no one at that time had any info.
    05-28-13 08:14 AM
    I have been wondering this is well since I bought my Z10, and actually created a thread on it a long time ago that didn't get any useful info. Thanks for the info Bla1ze. On a related note, does anyone know what the protected_media folder is used for under Device in File Manager. I can't move files to it and have never had any files placed into it by any apps, etc and don't really understand how it is "protected". I looked for info in the Z10 manual, but haven't found anything and posted the question a while back and no one at that time had any info.
    It houses all the device wallpapers, ringtones etc etc.. stuff BB doesn't want you to be able to delete.
    ZMc1834 likes this.
    05-28-13 06:38 PM
    Any folders I 'hide' on my device remain hidden on my Mac as well. Can't speak for PC but I assume it would be the same. They don't show up in Link or by simply browsing the storage. I doubt it's encrypting the files but rather, just changing the extension to one that's not really readable. Like a .noindex or similar. Again, not exactly what you're looking for but it is, at the very least, an option to consider.
    Thanks bla1ze this sounds like the best option, i'm just looking for something that if I was to misplace my phone other people couldnt readily access work documents from it. Just paranoid probably but better safe than sorry
    05-28-13 07:27 PM
    Search in the bbworld and try "Personal Lock Free". I'm not sure about the level of security but it works for some sensitive pics and files I have
    leric aleX likes this.
    05-28-13 07:40 PM
    Its got a lot of pretty poor reviews, anybody else tried it?
    05-28-13 07:46 PM
    Have you looked into the app "Hide Files for BlackBerry 10"?

Posted via Z10
    05-28-13 08:00 PM
    I used apps called 'Hide Files'. One thing about password protect folder is if you save files on media card make sure before you upgrade your OS you 'unprotect' it first. Its happened to me using Hide Files I forgot to 'unprotect' it, I cant access all my files after upgrading my OS
    05-28-13 08:05 PM
    12-13-13 12:24 AM