I just had this issue and it was also a calendar problem. I reverted back to 1.2.2.13 and was able to sync contacts and calendar at the same time. Might try going through the calendar entries now though so I can be on the newer version of link as it seems to be much faster at performing syncs.

Posted via CB10
    04-07-14 11:40 AM
    I just had this issue and it was also a calendar problem. I reverted back to 1.2.2.13 and was able to sync contacts and calendar at the same time. Might try going through the calendar entries now though so I can be on the newer version of link as it seems to be much faster at performing syncs.

Posted via CB10
    Didn't work for me! I can only sync calendar but have jury-rigged my other email account (outlook.com) to mirror the contacts so I now have to sync my outlook 2007 contacts with outlook.com. Weird but it works for the time being. Calendar syncs fine. I've read that its a problem with contacts that have photos on them, or logos, lots of luck with that! I have over 1000 business and personal contacts and half of them have logos or pictures on them---so there is no going thru them to edit out the photos. Really a bummer!
    04-07-14 04:04 PM
    Have this problem since BB did some upgrade to the OS - I have a Z30 and BB Link churns away endlessly, writes calendar entries from the device to Outlook with an hour time difference (and yes, the regional settings are the same) and then "fails to commit to device".

What is the point of having a Z30 as a business phone if I can't do a simple sync between my device and my PC? 3 BBs in my family and a BB PlayBook which is basically an obsolete piece of kit.

BB Support non-existent even via Twitter DM to BBHelp - they asked me for my PIN to provide direct support and I never heard from them again. WELL AFTER MORE THAN 10 YEARS AS A BB CUSTOMER - F&*#K this - I have neither the time nor the patience to sit around and wait for BB to get their act together - 4 BB devices into the trash can today - I will go and buy something that I can use as a business phone.
    04-19-14 02:17 AM
    Just realized the one way calendar sync to the device isn't reliable. Won't send changes and actually added some old calendar items from the device to my PC. This is really pathetic now. Does anybody have a suggestion for a another brand of phone that syncs with Mocrosoft Outlook?
    04-21-14 01:10 PM
    I finally got it to work (knock on wood that is stays working). Sorry for the long description, but figured seeing my steps might help someone diagnose or explain.

Was getting the dreaded �Failure to commit error, sync failed� error. Also takes a LONG time to think about things before erroring out.

• Blackberry Q10 with all latest software updates
    • Blackberry Link with latest updates
    • Given how 10 messes around with contacts (merging records against my will, wiping out categories when it does a 2-way sync with Outlook) I have been doing a one way sync from Outlook to the Q10.
    • I use Activesyc with Exchange/Outlook for calendar and email and it works fine. I have contacts turned off for gmail, yahoo mail, etc.

I tried multiple times and kept getting the errors. Set to show conflicts vs �use my computer�s data� to see what happened. I see the �hash� errors other have mentioned. Don�t know what that is.

• Deleted BB Link account on Q10
    • Tried one way sync of contacts from Outlook to q10
    • Said �successful�
    • But only like 20 contacts (seemingly randomly chosen) out of 1650+ contacts transferred
    • Restarted q10, still only 20 contacts

Try again:

• Deleted BB-link account again
    • Disconnected device, turned it off, restarted Q10
    • Logged out of account in Blackberry Link on desktop, logged back in
    • Plugged back in
    • One way sync of contacts� Now it says successful and transferred all 1650+ contacts. HOWEVER, I can�t see any contacts when I look on the Q10. When I go to create an email or phone someone, though, I am able to type their name in fine.
    • Turned device off, waited, restarted, and now all my contacts are showing.

I don�t know what the problem is, but things seem to have worked. At least it looks like my contacts are there, I'll know for sure as I go through the work day.
    04-24-14 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the careful documentation. Actually, not being able to see contacts seems to be a bug that is separate from the Link/sync issue. It happens every now and then. For me the answer is to close contacts on my Z10. When I reopen the data is there. There has been only once I had to close the app twice. It might be related to how quickly I open a contact. I think there might be a lag in fully loading

I sure hope BlackBerry fixes this soon. Having Contacts & Calendar data should be second only to the phone functions in priority. I gave up and don't even touch Link. On what day would I have hours to spend struggling with the famous BlackBerry Contacts mess? I can't risk it. I think BlackBerry vastly underestimated the number of non-enterprise business people that depend on them. Serious mistake.

Posted via CB from "Z" best
    04-24-14 11:53 AM
    Device Info
    PC
    Windows 7 x64 sp1 and Outlook 2010sp1 x32
    Blackberry Link 1.2.3.23

Blackberry Z10 STL100-3
    SW Release:10.2.1.2156
    OS Ver:10.2.1.2228

The following is a procedure that was performed.
    Disconnected Blackberry Z10 from PC
    Deleted bblink from under accounts menu in settings
    Cleared local Calendar and Contacts fron Z10 under accounts menu - more in settings
    Unplugged Z10 Battery
    Waited 10s and plugged Z10 battery
    Reset Blackberry Z10
    Cleared local Calendar and Contacts fron Z10 under accounts menu - more in settings

Uninstalled BBLink from PC
    Restarted PC
    Reinstalled BBLink on PC
    Reconnected Z10 to PC
    Configured Outlook Sync settings in Blackberry Link for 1 way for both Contacts and Calendar

Result Successful Sync, very quick with the exception of when BBLink is configured for 2 Way calendar sync.

Changing contacts and calendar to 2-Way sync, with the following settings, takes significantly longer time but no longer fails.
    Current BBLink Settings
    Contacts
    2-Way Sync
    Always use Computer Data
    Calendar
    2-Way Sync
    Always use Computer Data
    Last 6 months and all future entries
    05-02-14 05:53 PM
    Thanks cesnj. Tried it for the calendar and it worked correctly but only when the calendar had been cleared. When I made some changes and tried to sync again, it didn't make all the changes, just some. In other words, it's not syncing, it's only good to transfer from PC to device when device calendar has been cleared. For contacts, it took an hour (2900 contacts) and although it said it was unsuccessful, it appears that it was. Certainly not worth the wait. I will continue to simply email myself the contact from my PC and save it on my device. The same as any other phome. Shame on Blackberry.
    05-12-14 09:01 AM
    Hello,

I had the same problem with BBlink and OS10 V10.2.1.3175: "Sync was unsuccessful. Failed to commit changes to device".

The probleme finally was not with Contacts , but with Calendar. In Calendar parameters for Conflict resolution I put: do nothing and now it's ok!
    MPF94025 likes this.
    05-12-14 09:38 AM
    Thanks, this helps, not a fix for the problem but much improved. Gold star :-)
    05-13-14 12:38 AM
    I've noticed one other feature that may cause complications, as I agree that some of the sync delays are due to calendar, not contacts (duplicate contacts likely another issue).

On my Z30, with the calendar app open, if I swipe down and choose settings, I'm given the option of determining which calendar I want associated with my primary email for sending meeting invitations. For me, BB10 os install defaulted to the "local" calendar, rather than my BB Link associated calendar. Since I just did a factory reset, I went to "accounts" and deleted all events on local calendar, then made sure my BBLink calendar was associated with my defaut email address. Two way syncs are now working without hangups, whether I select "conflicts default to computer" or "don't sync conflicts"
    05-19-14 01:20 AM
    I followed most of csnej great instructions - and am now able to one-way sync again... not sure when exactly but about a week ago something in the contacts was breaking the sync. If I did just the calender then that was fine, but couldnt get the contacts - until now!

The following steps were performed.

Backup of Q10

Disconnected Blackberry Q10 from PC
    Deleted bblink from under accounts menu in settings
    Cleared local Calendar and Contacts fron Q10 under accounts menu - more in settings
    Waited a few minutes, kept checking contacts - and repeat until the contacts have all been wiped by the clear command issued in previous step.
    Powered down Q10, and pulled battery

Waited 10s and refitted battery, power on
    Waited 1 minute after boot-up

Reconnected Q10 to PC

Click on [Reset Settings] within Blackberry Link "Sync Contacts and Calendar Appointments"
    Configure Sync settings in Blackberry Link for 1 way for both Contacts and Calendar

Just sync'd contacts at first - it works!!!
    Then sync'd calender - still works!!!

thank you csnej !

I found this URL to instructions as to how you can create a logfile and then determine which record is causing the issue... but I went with the above steps first and didnt need to go to the next level. I guess that if there is a bad record in Outlook, then it is still in Outlook - but my Q10 doesnt seem to worry about it anymore.

KB35456-BlackBerry Link fails to sync contacts to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with error "Failed to commit changes to device."
    Last edited by antony99; 06-16-14 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added critical step: "Reset Settings" :)
    06-09-14 07:47 PM
    I followed most of csnej great instructions - and am now able to one-way sync again... not sure when exactly but about a week ago something in the contacts was breaking the sync. If I did just the calender then that was fine, but couldnt get the contacts - until now!
    THANK YOU ANTON99!

I had got things to work fine, but then updating software Kilroy'ed me and it kept not writing to device. I followed your instructions and just did contacts. First sync BB-Link reported only 5 contacts pushed to the device. Then I reset and pulled battery and restarted BB-Link. Tried again. Errored out and left five contacts. Tried again. Magic, it worked. At first it looked like a bunch of contacts hadn't made it, but after a restart and waiting for the device to catch its breathe all seems fine.

(Well, as fine as it can be with the new OS. I have lost almost ALL photos. And, all the other oddities that 10 brings over my sorely missed Bold when working with Outlook.

But I have my 1532 contacts.

Whoo hoo. I, like everyone else, am appalled by core functionality for a business device not working. But, whatever, I'll just hope a 10 with buttons comes some day and much of my functionality returns, and until then I'll suffer with the silliness of pure touch screen. Sorry, flame off.

Background:
    • q10
    • Use device to sync google email and calendar
    • Use device to sync earthlink email
    • Use device to sync yahoo email
    • Use device with Outlook exchange to sync calendar
    • Use bb-link to one-way sync contacts to the device (2-way sync ended up wiping all my Outlook categories and screwing up address fields by inserting commas and blanks)
    06-10-14 05:19 PM
    OK I found a solution from BlackBerry's Knowledge Base: KB35456-BlackBerry Link fails to sync contacts to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with error "Failed to commit changes to device."

This work around involves the following tasks:
    1.Enable debug logging in BlackBerry Link
    2.Reproducing the error and generate BlackBerry Link logs
    3.Identifying the problematic record from the Desktop.log
    4.Deleting the problematic record
    5.Disabling BlackBerry Link debug logging

Enable Debug Logging in BlackBerry Link

Warning/Recommendation: This will involve modifying the Windows Registry. It is recommended to back up the registry prior to any modifications, for details refer to How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

To enable debug logging, download the Registry Key file here or manually add it as follows:
    1.Close BlackBerry Link.
    2.Open the registry editor.
    3.Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize.
    4.Right-click on the Synchronize folder and select: New > DWORD [if available select DWORD (32-bit)].
    5.Name this entry RecordLimitForPostOverride
    6.Double-click this new entry, set the Value data = 1 & Base = Hexadecimal
    7.Close the Registry Editor.

Reproduce the error and generate the BlackBerry Link logs
    1.Reproduce the error failed to commit changes to device
    2.Generate the BlackBerry Link logs, via Preferences > Creating Log Files > Create Log
    3.The Log file once generated will appear as a .zip file on the Desktop.

Identifying the problem record from the Desktop.log contained in the .zip Log file
    1.Open the .zip log file generated by BlackBerry Link.
    2.Within the .zip log file, open Desktop.log
    3.Within Desktop.log search for the phrase Outgoing payload
    4.Details of the problematic record will appear on the line after Outgoing payload
    For example:

11:06:30.152|ERROR|96|Rim.Desktop.DataSync.DeviceD bAccess|0|[SyncDataChannel::SendPutRecordRequest] Outgoing payload:

11:06:30.152|ERROR|96|Rim.Desktop.DataSync.DeviceD bAccess|0|[SyncDataChannel::SendPutRecordRequest] [{"sync_id":"c27352c2-d953-4a9d-ae57-5a6075429570","folder_id":1,"subject":"Work%20%281 1am%20-%207:30pm%29","location":"Building%205","busy_stat us":2,"original_start_time":"2008-08-14%2014:00:00","parent_id":310}]

In this example, the problematic record is an event with:

Subject = "Work (11am - 7:30pm)"
    Location = "Building 5"

Delete The Problem Record Identified

Delete all instances of the problematic record identified using the steps above.

Note: BlackBerry Link only reports one problematic record at a time and therefore if the software encounters problems with multiple records then it will be necessary to repeat tasks 2 through 4 until BlackBerry Link no longer reports the error failed to commit changes to device.

Disable debug logging in BlackBerry Link

When BlackBerry Link no longer reports the error failed to commit changes or you no longer wish to continue debug logging, perform the following steps:
    1.Close BlackBerry Link.
    2.Open the Registry Editor.
    3.Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize
    4.Delete the DWORD RecordLimitForPostOverride entry.
    5.Close Registry Editor.
    06-13-14 01:51 PM
    Any real solution for this ? Anyone still having the same problem ? I still do...
    07-13-14 11:10 AM
    Any real solution for this ? Anyone still having the same problem ? I still do...
    Why am i using Blackberry if i would not be able to sync my contacts and calendars properly ? Mr. Chen, instead of looking for new markets in weird countries for BB, take this problem into account first.
    07-13-14 11:14 AM
    Did you try my solution? It might seem like a lot of work but it wasn't too bad and it really fixed it!

Let me know if you have any questions in regards to the procedure.
    07-15-14 05:09 PM
    OK I found a solution from BlackBerry's Knowledge Base: KB35456-BlackBerry Link fails to sync contacts to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with error "Failed to commit changes to device."

This work around involves the following tasks:
    1.Enable debug logging in BlackBerry Link
    2.Reproducing the error and generate BlackBerry Link logs
    3.Identifying the problematic record from the Desktop.log
    4.Deleting the problematic record
    5.Disabling BlackBerry Link debug logging

Enable Debug Logging in BlackBerry Link

Warning/Recommendation: This will involve modifying the Windows Registry. It is recommended to back up the registry prior to any modifications, for details refer to How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

To enable debug logging, download the Registry Key file here or manually add it as follows:
    1.Close BlackBerry Link.
    2.Open the registry editor.
    3.Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize.
    4.Right-click on the Synchronize folder and select: New > DWORD [if available select DWORD (32-bit)].
    5.Name this entry RecordLimitForPostOverride
    6.Double-click this new entry, set the Value data = 1 & Base = Hexadecimal
    7.Close the Registry Editor.

Reproduce the error and generate the BlackBerry Link logs
    1.Reproduce the error failed to commit changes to device
    2.Generate the BlackBerry Link logs, via Preferences > Creating Log Files > Create Log
    3.The Log file once generated will appear as a .zip file on the Desktop.

Identifying the problem record from the Desktop.log contained in the .zip Log file
    1.Open the .zip log file generated by BlackBerry Link.
    2.Within the .zip log file, open Desktop.log
    3.Within Desktop.log search for the phrase Outgoing payload
    4.Details of the problematic record will appear on the line after Outgoing payload
    For example:

11:06:30.152|ERROR|96|Rim.Desktop.DataSync.DeviceD bAccess|0|[SyncDataChannel::SendPutRecordRequest] Outgoing payload:

11:06:30.152|ERROR|96|Rim.Desktop.DataSync.DeviceD bAccess|0|[SyncDataChannel::SendPutRecordRequest] [{"sync_id":"c27352c2-d953-4a9d-ae57-5a6075429570","folder_id":1,"subject":"Work%20%281 1am%20-%207:30pm%29","location":"Building%205","busy_stat us":2,"original_start_time":"2008-08-14%2014:00:00","parent_id":310}]

In this example, the problematic record is an event with:

Subject = "Work (11am - 7:30pm)"
    Location = "Building 5"

Delete The Problem Record Identified

Delete all instances of the problematic record identified using the steps above.

Note: BlackBerry Link only reports one problematic record at a time and therefore if the software encounters problems with multiple records then it will be necessary to repeat tasks 2 through 4 until BlackBerry Link no longer reports the error failed to commit changes to device.

Disable debug logging in BlackBerry Link

When BlackBerry Link no longer reports the error failed to commit changes or you no longer wish to continue debug logging, perform the following steps:
    1.Close BlackBerry Link.
    2.Open the Registry Editor.
    3.Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize
    4.Delete the DWORD RecordLimitForPostOverride entry.
    5.Close Registry Editor.
    ^^This Works. Please Read
    I'm doing a phone swap, so I did a backup and went to sync my Outlook with my Contacts and Calendar. I received the error about failing to commit changes. The only thing that had changed since my last sync was that I updated my Link. I googled the error and found the KB article referenced above (KB35456-BlackBerry Link fails to sync contacts to the BlackBerry 10 smartphone with error "Failed to commit changes to device.").

Step one was to do Contacts and Calendar sync separately. Calendar worked and Contacts didn't.

So I added the Windows Registry key to enable debug mode in Link (always do a complete export of your registry before you try this if you're not comfortable with modifying the registry).

I ran the Contact Sync again and it failed again. Then I generated the log files in Link and opened the desktop.log file and searched for "Outgoing payload" and sure enough, there was a contact that I added after my last sync, but before I updated Link. I deleted the contact and re-added it.

Then, I ran Contact Sync again and it worked! If it hadn't, I'd have just generated log files again and gone it to find the next problem contact. The bad news is that you only get the first bad record (that causes the failure) in the log while running in debug. So, you have to keep doing this until you don't get errors again. The good news is that it will only be records that have been added/updated since your last successful sync.

This has nothing to do with the version of Link (although I think that the debug registry entry only works on the newest version of Link). This has nothing to do with your current OS or any OS upgrade process that your device has been through. In my case, I added this particular 'bad' contact by selecting add to contacts from my phone log and then adding a second phone field after saving.

In any event, before you delete all of your contacts/calendar entries, or do a battery pull, or a complete wipe/restore, give this a try. It's not an elegant solution, but it works!
    brian4591 and Rev Al like this.
    07-15-14 09:19 PM
    After starting this thread back in February, I have lived with a workaround compromise which is a sync that takes ages and my phone choosing to keep only 3 months of data (every day when I sync it asks me if I'm happy to delete a single days entry from 3 months previously on the phone) which is OK as I keep Outlook backed up as the master copy. This despite my settings being to keep 6 months (have tried a year and 30 days and makes no difference). After 6 months on 1.2.3.48 I thought Blackberry are bound to have sorted this out by now and updated to 1.2.3.56 and now I'm back to 'failed to commit changes to device'!!! Reinstalled 1.2.3.48 and still not working except when I choose to ONLY sync calendar and not contacts! I thought Blackberry were returning to their business roots - what a joke!!! I will be ditching my z10 for a Windows phone in the very near future unless someone who cares at BlackBerry reads these threads and does something about this!!!!
    10-03-14 04:54 PM
    Will give that a go tomorrow. What annoys me is having to work out these flippin workarounds in the first place!! Blackberry just don't seem to care. When I had a Palm PDA it synced like greased lightning flawlessly with Outlook as did my Blackberry Torch with Desktop Manager. Why the blazes can Blackberry not make Link do what its name suggests - actually LINK!!!
    Befuddledberry likes this.
    10-03-14 05:02 PM
    go1ndr: I also googled this and someone there posted a solution that worked for me. I was able to sync contacts but not calendar. I unchecked the contacts box so it wouldn't sync contacts, put my calendar conflict resolution as use data on my computer and did a 2-way sync. It worked and synced both ways on my device and PC. I've only done it once so I'm not sure if it'll work in the future. I have the latest Link: 1.2.3.56

BTW, thanks for helping me resolve the duplicate contacts issue. I followed your long instructions and it came out great.

Rev Al: this is similar to what you did as well.
    02-16-15 08:43 PM
    I've been having the failure to commit problem again and did the sync, log, find problematic record, delete, syc, log, rinse wash repeat thing -- and it did finally just work. It took me a LONG time to find the four records having issues.

The upside is that a sync now takes a very reasonable, small amount of time. All I did was email myself the Outlook contact card for each contact before deleting on the Blackberry and in Outlook. Once things worked, I opened and saved the previously deleted contacts back into Outlook and the next sync worked fine and everything is now on the Berry.

An absurd problem. An painful solution. But it did work.

I hope this gets fixed in 10.3.
    02-23-15 01:42 PM
72 123