Just got a Z10 from my work and IT set up all the Outlook settings for me and other employees. Everyone's is working fine. I can receive work email fine, but when I try to send I get an error "Protocol Layer was unable to send message" Even my IT guys are stumped.

Anyone have any advice?
    03-02-13 08:55 AM
    What email system are you using? Exchange I'm guessing. What version. Have you called BlackBerry/Carrier?
    03-02-13 09:23 AM
    What email system are you using? Exchange I'm guessing. What version. Have you called BlackBerry/Carrier?
    Exchange, I believe 2007. Haven't called my carrier yet since it works for other employees, I figured it was something other than a carrier issue.
    03-02-13 10:03 AM
    Funny, I had 2 emails bounced back with a similar error. I am using imap. I have never had this happen before. I also had 2 emails that I couldn't reply to, they would show the circle with the line through it. If I created a new email with those same addresses I could send them.

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 10:25 AM
    Funny, I had 2 emails bounced back with a similar error. I am using imap. I have never had this happen before. I also had 2 emails that I couldn't reply to, they would show the circle with the line through it. If I created a new email with those same addresses I could send them.

Posted via CB10
    I get the same red circle. But it happens whether it's a reply or a newly composed email. Just can't send at all, but receiving is fine.
    03-02-13 10:33 AM
    If you open the failed message there's a 'resend' button on the bottom menu.

When I have this error it seems to be in a bad reception area. I wait for a couple of minutes, hit the 'resend' and it has always then sent successfully.

S

Posted via CB10, using Z10, running BB10
    03-02-13 11:30 AM
    If you open the failed message there's a 'resend' button on the bottom menu.

When I have this error it seems to be in a bad reception area. I wait for a couple of minutes, hit the 'resend' and it has always then sent successfully.

S

Posted via CB10, using Z10, running BB10
    Tried that too. I can send from other email accounts I have set up on the phone like gmail, just not my work exchange account.
    03-02-13 11:45 AM
    It's still a new OS, give it some time, BB will surely release a fix
    03-02-13 11:51 AM
    Probably some firewall setting preventing data traffic from a specific port.
    03-02-13 11:51 AM
    Probably some firewall setting preventing data traffic from a specific port.
    Possibly, and I'll have my IT guys troubleshoot some more when I'm back in the office. I'm out of town for the next week, so in the mean time I have my work emails forwarded to a gmail account to make it easier to respond.
    03-02-13 12:13 PM
    There is a bug in the latest OS update that has broken sending email via Authenticated SMTP (Port 587). It has been affecting TELUS clients and apparently some Bell clients. It might be related to your issue. The thread is here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-work-777025/
    03-02-13 02:36 PM
    This is really ticking me off!!

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 05:46 PM
    Mine only occurs when replying to certain email addresses. Only when replying, it's driving me crazy. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Posted via CB10
    03-02-13 07:48 PM
    If I have the same person email me in plain text or rich text, I can reply to those emails, if they send in html, I can't reply. They won't go.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-13 09:31 AM
    I get it too with just simple POP email, no Exchange.

It's only if I reply to/forward from certain emails. I can email them with a new message fine!
    03-07-13 04:28 AM
    Just got a Z10 from my work and IT set up all the Outlook settings for me and other employees. Everyone's is working fine. I can receive work email fine, but when I try to send I get an error "Protocol Layer was unable to send message" Even my IT guys are stumped.

Anyone have any advice?
    Speak with your IT.

Likely if there are other Z10 users in your environment that aren't having problems sending and recieving email that there is a problem with your mailbox and they might have rebuild it or move it from one database to another and back to checked it for corruption.
    03-07-13 04:56 AM
    There is a bug in the latest OS update that has broken sending email via Authenticated SMTP (Port 587). It has been affecting TELUS clients and apparently some Bell clients. It might be related to your issue. The thread is here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...t-work-777025/
    Exchange doesn't use SMTP or POP, it uses ActiveSync.
    03-07-13 04:58 AM
    I had this happen today, sending emails via Gmail, and got this message and mail refused to send.
    I was having a lot of trouble with copying and pasting email addresses in BB10, and two other posters suggested a fix.
    Generally works, but I found if I copy a lot of emails from a list, and then paste it, it all shows up as one large email ignoring the commas, and then refuses to send, unless you copy and paste each individual email separately.
    Got it done in the end but was a huge headache, basically the Z10 doesn't like something about the format of certain emails.
    03-08-13 09:09 AM
    Happened to me once when i tried to reply through my exchange account. However i was able to send from my live.com account. resetting the phone cured it.
    03-08-13 09:54 AM
    Happened to me once when i tried to reply through my exchange account. However i was able to send from my live.com account. resetting the phone cured it.
    I ended up fiddling around and it went eventually.
    Was on the verge of heading for the comp, and it took about 30 mins total for something I would have managed in about 2 mins on my 9900.
    03-08-13 10:33 AM
    Has anyone had any success with this?

For some reason no matter what port I try or settings I can't get it to work.

If I use gmail or hotmail it works fine as soon as I use an imap e-mail address and try to send an e-mail with attachment it comes back with protocol layer was unable to send a message

However normal plain text emails work fine.
    03-10-13 11:47 AM
    I have the similar problems. Only replies seem to be affected by the "protocol layer ..." error. New messages can be sent without any problems other accounts work fine with the same message. To try that, I forwarded the message from my computer to the my other mail account. Opening and forwarding that message on the other account on my blackberry worked fine.

When replying to a message it's not possible to change the account it is sent from, is it?
    03-19-13 11:10 AM
    New mailsl with attachments are also affected.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-13 12:53 PM
    Hey there, have u found a solution to this problem?
    I'm having the same problem, cant send with the same protocol layer message.
    Not using exchange, just a normal pop3 account, and smartermail ..
    05-02-13 05:50 AM
    I had this issue and this is the answer:

The issue is in the web.config file found in Program files>Microsoft>ExchangeServer>V14>ClentAccess>Syn c.

Look for this line:

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="110240"/>

This was set at 10240

You need to restart server.

Let me know if this works for you
    05-02-13 06:30 AM
31 12