I just had to pass this on. I work for a local government agency. We don’t do BYOD and we’re all BlackBerry. Our RIM Enterprise account rep paid us a visit this week to demo BB10.

When he walked into the room, one of our people asked if he needed to borrow a laptop to connect to the projector. He said, “No, I’ll just connect this.” He proceeded to whip out his PlayBook, connected it to the projector and conducted the entire presentation with his Bold 9900 as the remote control.

We had some high level people in there and their jaws just dropped. They wanted to know how he did that. I took the opportunity to explain it to them, which the RIM rep enjoyed.

Then he took out his Z10 and explained a lot of the features with the Z10 also connected to the projector. At the end, he wowed them by using the Z10 to project the movie “the Avengers” onto the super large screen in our conference room. And then we all got a chance to see and handle the Z10. It was everything I expected and more. If I had problems waiting for January 30th, they’re even worse now.

What was great, is that this guy was really enthusiastic and you could tell he believed in the product. One last thing, he told us that RIM is now discouraging using the term “Mobile Fusion”. They would like it referred to as “BlackBerry Enterprise Service”.

SM
    Last edited by AtoZBB; 01-18-13 at 09:15 PM.
    01-18-13 08:54 PM
    Thanks for the quick report. I've met a few people from RIM and without fail they are the most enthusiastic and commited people you could ever meet. I like the fact that (as you say) they are (re)embracing the term "BlackBerry Enterprise Server" as there's a lot of well-deserved equity in the name and it nicely emphasizes the primary goal of the company....winning back and keeping the enterprise customer.
    01-18-13 08:59 PM
    This just confirms how awesome of a handset this is going to be! I knew it had projection capabilities as it's been seen in vids, but to hear about it and to see what peoples reaction to it really make me not be able to wait until this is available on Verizon
    01-18-13 09:04 PM
    This just confirms how awesome of a handset this is going to be! I knew it had projection capabilities as it's been seen in vids, but to hear about it and to see what peoples reaction to it really make me not be able to wait until this is available on Verizon
    The Playbook was always able to do it as well, but some of the problems that prevented me from fully using it was:
    -Powerpoint(Docs-To-Go) on the Playbook is horrible, doesn't allow very many of MS Powerpoint features such as animations, or even special shapes or styles.
    -the capacity on my Playbook is 16GB and after accounting for all the space that OS and my other apps take, I've only got a few GB of space for movie/media files USB-On-The-Go was supposed to be released so you could connect a USB drive or external HDD but that never came out due to securities reasons.

So I'm really hoping that the BB10 phone will have a powerpoint app that can use all of the new Microsoft Powerpoint features/animations/styles/etc, and also hope that in addition to the expandable storage, they enable USG On-The-Go so users can connect an external hard drive to the device. That would absolutely awesome!! I could just bring my portable hard drive, and my BB10 phone and anywhere there is a projector, I could watch a movie!
    DJM626 and xiaohuaxing like this.
    01-18-13 09:33 PM
    The Playbook was always able to do it as well, but some of the problems that prevented me from fully using it was:
    -Powerpoint(Docs-To-Go) on the Playbook is horrible, doesn't allow very many of MS Powerpoint features such as animations, or even special shapes or styles.
    -the capacity on my Playbook is 16GB and after accounting for all the space that OS and my other apps take, I've only got a few GB of space for movie/media files USB-On-The-Go was supposed to be released so you could connect a USB drive or external HDD but that never came out due to securities reasons.

So I'm really hoping that the BB10 phone will have a powerpoint app that can use all of the new Microsoft Powerpoint features/animations/styles/etc, and also hope that in addition to the expandable storage, they enable USG On-The-Go so users can connect an external hard drive to the device. That would absolutely awesome!! I could just bring my portable hard drive, and my BB10 phone and anywhere there is a projector, I could watch a movie!
    I'm not sure about USB otg(although I don't think so) but you can expand the memory to 128 GB(if you want to drop the $ on it). That's room for lots of movies, via DLNA if you should so choose.
    01-18-13 09:40 PM
    Did the rep say anything about the X10 ? anything at all ??
    01-18-13 09:41 PM
    Did the rep say anything about the X10 ? anything at all ??
    All he would say was it would launch on Jan 30th with the Z10 and would be available "some time" after the Z10. I tried to get something more definite, but I genuinely think he hasn't been given a definite date either.

SM
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-18-13 09:58 PM
    Wow! Thank you for this. Super Stoked, OMG!! 11 more days. Eeeeeeek!!
    01-19-13 01:37 AM
    So did he show the z10 that will be released on Jan 30th or dev alpha...if showed z10 then what's point of jan 30 unless it's not the hardware
    beemaabeemababy likes this.
    01-19-13 01:50 AM
    So did he show the z10 that will be released on Jan 30th or dev alpha...if showed z10 then what's point of jan 30 unless it's not the hardware
    The Z10s that we're seeing circulating may not be "final" hardware.
    big_time2 and 00stryder like this.
    01-19-13 02:02 AM
    I'm not sure about USB otg(although I don't think so) but you can expand the memory to 128 GB(if you want to drop the $ on it). That's room for lots of movies, via DLNA if you should so choose.
    Its not just about the room, it's about getting the stuff onto the phone. With expandable memory I have to keep transferring stuff onto the microSD or what not. With USB OnTheGo, I can just pull from my movie or music library.
    01-19-13 02:05 AM
    The RIM chap who showed me his Z10 was adamant it WAS final hardware, but not final software. He was super enthusiastic about the Z10, said the one with keys would be available a few weeks after, and said he loved watching films on his Z10.
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-19-13 04:08 AM
    For the various certifications etc they will have had to have had final hardware for quite some time now, so the ones that are circulating are all going to be final at this point, albeit non-commercial models so might lack cosmetic things such as the ce mark, but that would be about all.
    01-19-13 04:34 AM
    Its not just about the room, it's about getting the stuff onto the phone. With expandable memory I have to keep transferring stuff onto the microSD or what not. With USB OnTheGo, I can just pull from my movie or music library.
    You could use the Seagate GoFlex Wireless External Hard Drive connected to the BlackBerry PlayBook via its own WiFi network to stream movies, music and presentations. I have not confirmed yet but there was an announcement from someone from Seagate posting to this forum about enabling the Seagate GoFlex to connect while not interfering with an existing WiFi network connection to your own network.
    01-19-13 07:06 AM
    ...t there was an announcement from someone from Seagate posting to this forum about enabling the Seagate GoFlex to connect while not interfering with an existing WiFi network connection to your own network.
    Did a search on 'goflex' and did not find the post you referenced. This is really interesting and would like to find out more about this storage solution.
    Last edited by halw; 01-19-13 at 11:08 AM.
    01-19-13 10:06 AM
    For the various certifications etc they will have had to have had final hardware for quite some time now, so the ones that are circulating are all going to be final at this point, albeit non-commercial models so might lack cosmetic things such as the ce mark, but that would be about all.
    I asked someone from RIM and he explained it to me like this: There were 6 levels of production models. He showed me the 5th. It was basically final but not officially. If there would be any changes at this point it would be very minor. An example he cited was changing camera lens providers and having to shift something a little bit.
    EsJayDee likes this.
    01-19-13 10:46 AM
    The RIM chap who showed me his Z10 was adamant it WAS final hardware, but not final software. He was super enthusiastic about the Z10
    What he said. Our reps Z10 looked just like the photos we've seen of what should be the final hardware. He did say that they were still doing some minor tweaks on the software.

SM
    big_time2 likes this.
    01-19-13 10:47 AM
    I think theirs all kinds of Z10's out there.The gadgetmaster showcasing of filter app said he had a Z10 but said it contained 1gb of ram and not final software. I can believe this as they will push bb10 to PB at some time that has 1gb so tehre's a beta for that. ''Big hands'' arnee's hand ons said it was 2 gb but not final software.So can't really say all the Z10's shown so far are final hardware 6 stages sounds crazy but its probably true.

But thanks for the info 1 more week more or less well in my mind.
    01-19-13 05:31 PM
    I asked someone from RIM and he explained it to me like this: There were 6 levels of production models. He showed me the 5th. It was basically final but not officially. If there would be any changes at this point it would be very minor. An example he cited was changing camera lens providers and having to shift something a little bit.
    Changing camera lens providers? As in Carl Zeis? lol Interesting whatever it may or may not be
    pcguy514 likes this.
    01-19-13 05:49 PM
    Since RIM is all about security, I presume the rep used a vpn profile to login to the company network with his playbook and run a true Powerpoint presentation, rather than use the docs2go app on the device? This would be consistent with the firm's mobile computing philosophy, where data or files are not stored on the device, and you use the playbook for secure remote access instead. And you would get a richer, full featured presentation than docs2go can provide.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using Tapatalk
    pcguy514 likes this.
    01-19-13 06:57 PM
    I am stoked about BB10. The remote control features and bridge are also great. Hooking the phone or tablet to the projector is nothing special or new.
    01-19-13 07:04 PM
    Since RIM is all about security, I presume the rep used a vpn profile to login to the company network with his playbook and run a true Powerpoint presentation, rather than use the docs2go app on the device?
    Could be. By the time the projector warmed up the presentation was already on screen, so I did not see how he accessed it or what software was being used for the presentation. At the end, he didn't close the presentation, he just disconnected the PlayBook to connect the Z10.

For all I knew, it might even have been some type of special package put together for just this purpose.

SM
    01-19-13 07:11 PM
    Hooking the phone or tablet to the projector is nothing special or new.
    Wasn't to me either, I've used that a few times myself. It was those "high level" types that were were mystified. It was interesting watching their reaction. Even though we're a BlackBerry shop, the PlayBook is not part of the usual work place equipment. Maybe that will change after some of them had seen that demo.

SM
    Outbacker likes this.
    01-19-13 07:17 PM
    I am keeping one of my 9810s for my second (little-used) line and will use it as a remote control for my Z10: I'll have a physical keyboard and trackpad for my z10 if i'm doing marathon texting or emailing.
    01-19-13 08:37 PM
    It is simple to put an external, wifi connected hard drive on the same wifi connection as the Playbook. They are reasonably priced. Lots of additional storage! USB connection not required!
    thekidshop likes this.
    01-19-13 10:53 PM
35 12