I am definitely not expert at updating a BB OS, and I have only updated a few times. But, I would like to update my new BB Z10. I know to back up, etc., but I would like to be able to run Android apps, specifically the Key Ring app, which there was a native BB version of in OS 7 but not in OS 10, apparently...and I am not finding the 10.2.1 update available on AT&T.

There are now several 'leaked' OS 10 updates, so I am wondering, if I update my Z10, is there an 'order' or 'process' for updating the OS? Do you start with the first update and go up in version from there? Or, is it best to skip to the latest available, skipping some and/or all previous revs, etc.? In other words, is there a 'best practice' for updating the OS?

- Cat
    04-06-14 02:48 PM
    Here you go http://m.crackberry.com/install-leaked-os-autoloader

Sent from my XT1058 using CB Forums mobile app
    04-06-14 02:57 PM
    When updating one's OS, there is no requirement to progress gradually from release number to release number. It is fine if you skip some releases to go to the latest and greatest.

You have two basic choices when it comes thru your carrier. One is to update over the air. The other option is to update through Link on your computer. I am hardly familiar with these since, like you, I am on AT&T.

When it comes to installing a released OS from another carrier, you have a couple of options. One is to download the OS to your computer and install via an autoloader. When this is done, your phone is wiped and you have to reinstall your apps and reset your accounts and any customizations you have done. Or you can use an app like Sachesi to find the released OS, download it to your computer and then install through the app to your phone. This does not wipe your device, thus no apps nor accounts or customizations have to be reinstalled, reset or redone. It is non-destructive. You do not need to restore.

As for straight leaks that have not been adopted by a carrier, you usually can find the OS through the leaked threads on CrackBerry to download and install via autoloader or Sachesi (or similar style app).

Some do not recommend restoring your device settings from a backup when using an autoloader, some say it is okay. I have both recommendations without issue.

Best practice? Be consistent in what you do. There is always a risk that you must be willing to take. Don't panic. Don't unplug your phone when it is rebooting. Be patient. And if something does go wrong, stay calm, post your issue clearly here on the forums as you seek help in correcting what is not right. Don't curse your phone or vilify it's manufacturer. State the problem and work with others to resolve it. Remember, most issues can be solved.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    04-06-14 03:21 PM
    (doing taxes), so I did not see Sachesi mentioned (Leak OS subforum, sticky). It can do an update while retaining all of your data, apps and settings - so it is NON-destructive. Others do like the Autoloader as it totally cleans the device.

Best practice is what you are comfortable with and how long you want to deal with restoring.

Good luck.
    04-06-14 04:39 PM
    All of us that run OS's newer than what our carrier provide have preferences on how we do it.
    Ex: I prefer autoloader, no wipe, full restore. This has worked well for me every time. (especially now that the latest 10.2 release restores all android apps and data) Others prefer Sachesi . Neither are wrong or right, both yield the same results.

STL-4. 10.2.1.2947 w/ 1259 clock
    04-06-14 07:52 PM
    I find using the auto loader easiest for me. And I've tried saschi several times. I've always used BlackBerry Link to restore and have had almost no issues. With the latest leak even the apps from amazon and snap reinstalled. That's nice. I've got 5 people at work that don't know how to do anything but use there phone and I auto loader them as well. However like the poast above : use CB to find helpful hints and to fix an issue. I agree so much with stay calm and don't bash BlackBerry when you're looking for help as it seems the ones that do don't get the help like those that don't. Enjoy

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    04-06-14 08:40 PM