Well, I just tried playing back some of my MKV wrapped videos that use the AC3 audio codec and they can no longer play in 10.1. The same files work just fine in 10.0. The preview for the video shows up just fine which means that the video codec understands the video, but the audio won't play back.

What the hell is going on here? I have to admit, this is my first serious gripe with the Z10. I was so happy that I could use the device when travelling for video playback and then some brainiac at BlackBerry removes the support for the most common audio codec out there.

I'm sorry to say, but it's $hit like this that caused BlackBerry to be punted right out of their own market that they dominated, though apparently somebody still did not learn the lesson.

Seriously, what the hell?

Posted via CB10
    laketrout73 likes this.
    05-24-13 02:31 AM
    Well, I just tried playing back some of my MKV wrapped videos that use the AC3 audio codec and they can no longer play in 10.1. The same files work just fine in 10.0. The preview for the video shows up just fine which means that the video codec understands the video, but the audio won't play back.

What the hell is going on here? I have to admit, this is my first serious gripe with the Z10. I was so happy that I could use the device when travelling for video playback and then some brainiac at BlackBerry removes the support for the most common audio codec out there.

I'm sorry to say, but it's $hit like this that caused BlackBerry to be punted right out of their own market that they dominated, though apparently somebody still did not learn the lesson.

Posted via CB10
    Licensing issues. Knew that was coming and yeah, def. want that support back. - https://twitter.com/Bla1ze/status/321421767094706177
    lnichols likes this.
    05-24-13 03:11 AM
    It's a lengthly process if you have a lot of videos, but you can use TsMuxeR to split the audio/video files, use an audio converter to convert the AC3 to a 2 Channel AAC, and then mux back to MKV/M2TS container. I did that to an entire TV series (8 seasons) back when I first got my PlayBook in 2011. I guess it came in handy now that 10.1 no longer supports AC3.
    05-24-13 04:20 AM
    It's a lengthly process if you have a lot of videos, but you can use TsMuxeR to split the audio/video files, use an audio converter to convert the AC3 to a 2 Channel AAC, and then mux back to MKV/M2TS container. I did that to an entire TV series (8 seasons) back when I first got my PlayBook in 2011. I guess it came in handy now that 10.1 no longer supports AC3.
    Another alternative is Kalemsoft Media Player. I gave up on AC3 support native and bought this for my daughters PlayBook. Pretty much plays anything. It cost money but may be worth it for you. Http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/25527881 for BB10 version

Http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/17842195 for PlayBook version
    anon(2729369) likes this.
    05-24-13 05:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Did you post tgis in the bug thread?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 06:09 AM
    This is a problem for me as I play a lot of my media from the phone into a projector that I have setup outside for th kids

I do not want to remux all my files just because they decided to remove this great feature... any news on getting it back?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 07:12 AM
    According to the following document, it looks like Dolby charges an average of 0.50 USD for each unit for a license for this.

20 million devices = 10 million dollars. I guess it was just a cost-saving measure.

Compression Standards Licensing Information
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    05-24-13 05:36 PM
    Licensing issues. Knew that was coming and yeah, def. want that support back. - https://twitter.com/Bla1ze/status/321421767094706177
    Indeed. Looks like that tweet is a bit older now too, yet no changes. I fear that we may never get this back sadly. Another great feature taken away. The worst thing is, I compared HD playback last night between the built in video player with AC3 found in the shipping OS and KalemSoft and the battery drain difference is stunning. Built in video player can play back continuous for approximately 9h on a single charge. KalemSoft can only do about 2.5h. We definitely need built in support for AC3 back.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 10:38 AM
    50 cents! Juat add it to the phone cost. I paid 100 on contract. I sure wouldnt mind paying $100.50 to get ac3.

Posted via CB10
    coolaide and niss63 like this.
    05-28-13 11:43 AM
    Kind of defeats the purpose of BlackBerry's new slogan: Keep Moving

They should have paid the 0.50 to keep us moving.

Posted via CB10
    kissdagame likes this.
    05-28-13 12:04 PM
    Is ac3 similar to mkv? Cuz I don't think I plays mkv anymore.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 12:21 PM
    According to the following document, it looks like Dolby charges an average of 0.50 USD for each unit for a license for this.

20 million devices = 10 million dollars. I guess it was just a cost-saving measure.

Compression Standards Licensing Information
    Well 10 Million Dollars savings on 400 Million worth sales assuming $200 profit per unit (probably low) makes that "cost savings" look silly. AC3 support is an expected feature on a smartphone, and the 50 cents per unit is called a cost of doing business. Maybe they should get out of the software and hardware business if they are unwilling to pay for technology that competition is paying for, especially if 50 cents per unit is just too hard to swallow.
    05-28-13 12:27 PM
    So android and iphone will play mkv with ac3?

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 01:03 PM
    So android and iphone will play mkv with ac3?

Posted via CB10
    Android surely yes. Don't know much about iOS though.
    svein99 likes this.
    05-28-13 01:14 PM
    Is ac3 similar to mkv? Cuz I don't think I plays mkv anymore.

Posted via CB10
    MKV is a container, and AC3 is a compression method that requires a compatible AC3 codec to play back. Most often, MKV will contain audio compressed with AC3. As of OS 10.1 BlackBerry has removed the support for this critical and most widely used codec and therefore most common MKV files that contain AC3 will no longer play back on BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    vgorous likes this.
    05-28-13 01:20 PM
    MKV is a container, and AC3 is a compression method that requires a compatible AC3 codec to play back. Most often, MKV will contain audio compressed with AC3. As of OS 10.1 BlackBerry has removed the support for this critical and most widely used codec and therefore most common MKV files that contain AC3 will no longer play back on BB10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks....

Just tried it and what a big disappointment.

I'm slowly starting to grow distant from this phone. Well, phones in general. Never really needed a smartphone.

Blackberry link can't even find me on the blackberry id server right now.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 06:53 PM
    That is one of the lamest things ever...they could have added 50 cents to the price of the phone...what an utter crap.
    Fatz_z likes this.
    05-28-13 06:58 PM
    AFAIK, the support will return for the Z10 but the Q10 will not have it available.

(Also something to keep in mind if you're habitually installing leaked OS', because of the fact the Q10 can run on the Z10 vice versa when custom built. If you load a Q10 software on your Z10, the support likely will be missing.)
    05-28-13 07:33 PM
    AFAIK, the support will return for the Z10 but the Q10 will not have it available.

What a strange policy. When I see that I feel like it's even more clear that they are doing this as a cost-cutting measure.
    05-28-13 08:40 PM
    I convert all my video with freeware " freemake video converter" available on snapfiles. Convert everything to mp4 and plays flawlessly on my Z - audio and video. I am on the 2009 leak. Plenty of codec packages (containers) out there so you can take full advantage of the Z's multimedia capabilities. Just like on my PC - I always load the latest and greatest codec packages.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 09:15 PM
    Unacceptable. I refuse to support a manufacturer removing features. If this is not in the Verizon release 10.1 I will not upgrade and will call Verizon and BlackBerry support everyday.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 09:26 PM
    Probably because the Q10 was released with 10.1 so it never had AC3 support, on the Z10 they'll have to bring it back to avoid a class action suit from users that lost the feature after purchasing the phone, similar to when Sony removed Linux from the PS3...

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 09:44 PM
    Probably because the Q10 was released with 10.1 so it never had AC3 support, on the Z10 they'll have to bring it back to avoid a class action suit from users that lost the feature after purchasing the phone, similar to when Sony removed Linux from the PS3...

Posted via CB10
    I am running the official Bell 10.1 on the Z10 and I still have AC3 support. I just played a video with audio coded in AC3

Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.1720

Posted via CB10
    yvpan1 likes this.
    05-28-13 09:50 PM
    Lame...

Posted via CB10
    05-28-13 09:56 PM
    I am running the official Bell 10.1 on the Z10 and I still have AC3 support. I just played a video with audio coded in AC3

Z10STL100-3/10.1.0.1720

Posted via CB10
    Please go to: http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/

And download the test file Planet (http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests...ubs_planet.mkv) or Plant2 (http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests...ac3_planet.mp4) directly to your phone. When it is downloaded, try to play it with the default video player of the phone.

If you are able to play it instead of getting the below message, then I wish I knew what's so special about your phone:

OS 10.1 removed support for AC3-img_00000004.png

Posted via CB10
    fhk100 likes this.
    05-28-13 10:04 PM
203 123 ...