Long story short I have a 10.2 Z10 backup. I do not have the phone any longer. I do have Blackberry Link installed.
    I do have BB Desktop installed but know they are not compatible.

BB support told me that the backup is encrypted to the phone itself.

Are there any tools for accessing this backup?
    03-26-14 02:50 PM
    Sorry,
    You'll need another BlackBerry device with an equivalent or later OS version to which you can restore the backup via BB Link.
    03-26-14 03:02 PM
    Sorry,
    You'll need another BlackBerry device with an equivalent or later OS version to which you can restore the backup via BB Link.
    Ok. Although, the way the BB Support explained it to me was that the backup is encrypted to that very phone itself. Meaning that a phone of equal or greater OS will not read the backup. I do hope this is not true!

If anyone reads this in the future and has successfully accessed a 10.2 Z10 backup with a different pin Z10 phone, please let us know.

I am keeping the backup but will only get another Z10 once the prices drop dramatically. As I will only need the phone to recover the backup!

I have had two of the Z10s go dead on me...so I am finished with the brand.
    03-26-14 04:06 PM
    Ok. Although, the way the BB Support explained it to me was that the backup is encrypted to that very phone itself. Meaning that a phone of equal or greater OS will not read the backup. I do hope this is not true!

If anyone reads this in the future and has successfully accessed a 10.2 Z10 backup with a different pin Z10 phone, please let us know.

I am keeping the backup but will only get another Z10 once the prices drop dramatically. As I will only need the phone to recover the backup!

I have had two of the Z10s go dead on me...so I am finished with the brand.
    Whomever you spoke with either misunderstood you, communicated the answer to you incorrectly, or was just plain wrong.

I, and many others on the CB Forums, have restored a backup from one device to another. I actually did so last weekend. You must be using the same BlackBerry ID, and be restoring to an equal or higher OS version. (There are ways around the OS version bit, but let's keep it simple.) So keep track of your BB ID and password -- you'll need them.

To give you a little more comfort, take a look at this: Switch to a new device - User Guide - BlackBerry Link for Windows - 1.2.3
    FF22 likes this.
    03-26-14 06:11 PM
    Thanks for the additional information Elessar.cm
    I have hope now.

It is certainly possible I just misunderstood in the "translation".

Waiting for Blackberry Backup Extactor to add Z10 10.2 or a similar priced phone!
    03-26-14 07:14 PM