To be fair... you can't preview the message off of the lock screen while the phone is in your pocket either.

Personally I prefer the BB style like I posted before but more options are good. That's one of the beauties of BlackBerry... let us customize how we see fit unlike the walled garden. For those of you who like lock screen notifications I hope that an app (that runs in the background) comes out for you.

For me things work well as is and I'm thankful to have my profiles and red light back.
    Never said you could. What I did say is the iOS and Android notification system is better when you are using the device.
    04-04-13 08:09 PM
    I like your third idea. Pressing on the notification on the lock screen.

To prevent accidental unlocks you could make it so you have to grab the icon and Swipe it down, like answering a call

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 08:13 PM
    There is the Toast solution that seems to have been pushed to the way side.

Gyroscope senses the phone being picked up, turns on screen with message notification, tilting the phone more reveals the entire message, from here we can unlock the screen to the message location in the hub.
    04-04-13 08:49 PM
    Our only hope would be and updated BB10 version of a great app called Leave It On made by Shao Soft. LIO offered pop up alerts and back light alerts on older BlackBerry OS's. I asked the developer in another thread if he plans to do it but his answer didn't make me happy :
    " Unfortunately there is no way for an app to turn on the backlight yet. I've looked through all the documentation I can find, but have not found a way to do it. I completely understand, I miss having my screen light up too. I'm going to keep looking, but as of now I have not found a way.

Shao"

So, we're ****ed

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 09:30 PM
    I like the way BlackBerry handles text & BBM messages etc. I've noticed that on the train/bus to work, some people like staring into other's phones.
    I say no thanks, don't want the iOS style notifications because of lack ofprivacy and security.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-04-13 09:47 PM
    I like the way BlackBerry handles text & BBM messages etc. I've noticed that on the train/bus to work, some people like staring into other's phones.
    I say no thanks, don't want the iOS style notifications because of lack ofprivacy and security.
    It's been said and even shown in this thread that you have the ability to turn notifications off. I don't understand why you guys keep saying this.

Posted via CB10
    Barljo, 21stNow and ihys like this.
    04-04-13 09:49 PM
    For some of us that work in noisy environments, the pop up alerts and back light notifications are a must. If you are afraid for your privacy you can turn your iphone's notification off but us with the Z10 we don't have a choice. Choice os good

Posted via CB10
    shinerb likes this.
    04-04-13 09:53 PM
    Never said you could. What I did say is the iOS and Android notification system is better when you are using the device.
    Understood and again hopefully something comes out to give you the options to customize as you'd like. Being such a new platform I can't see this not being addressed when the right API's are released.
    04-04-13 10:47 PM
    One nice thing about the iPhone in the way it notifies you about text messages is that it is very easy to access the message from a locked phone. It does three things that make the access so quick:

- Displays the first few lines of the text message on the lock screen. This allows you to decide whether you even want to unlock the phone to view the rest of the message.
    - Allows you to jump straight to the text from the lock screen by swiping to the right on the text message.
    - Turns on the phone's screen even if it is locked to show you the lock screen with the text message preview (not sure if I like this all that much; I like the more discreet blinking LED on the Z10).

So on the iPhone, it's a single swipe from the lock screen and you are right at the text message of interest. On the Z10 however, the workflow is noticeably more involved. Assuming you weren't previously in the text message app/hub, you have to

- Swipe up to unlock the phone.
    - Swipe up again and to the right to get to the hub.
    - Select the text message of interest to go to that text message conversation.

This may not sound like a big deal, but considering you have to do this every time a text comes in while the phone is locked, you really start to notice the extra effort involved.

I think it would be great if the Z10 adopted one or more of the following approaches:

(1) Allow you to perform the hub gesture (swipe up and right) from a locked phone so you can jump straight to your hub.
    (2) Display the text message preview in the lock screen so you can decide whether it's a message you even want to unlock your phone to view (although with this approach you'd probably want to be consistent and show all hub messages in the lock screen, which can quickly get crowded and annoying).
    (3) Allow you to click on the text message notification icon in the left corner of the lock screen to jump straight there.

These are just some ideas. I'm overall very happy with the Z10, considering it is such a new platform, but this unoptimal workflow has been catching my attention as an ex-iPhone user. Does anyone else feel the same way about this?
    Number 3 is a good idea. The rest are too but I think 3 would be a nice addition. In fact what if you expanded upon 3 and hitting the icon made a translucent list of the first words of each message e or notification appear as a scrollable element. Make the lock screen a more interactive experience? Maybe not necessary but just the first thing I thought of that was cool.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 11:11 PM
    It would be cool if they had the normal swipe up to unlock, except as you swipe up you go over the notification icons on the left (i.e. FB, Text, etc) and each one highlights as you go over it, when you've reached the one you want to access just swipe over to the right to take you to that inbox. If you just want to go to the hub, allow the regular swipe up and right gesture without passing over the notification icons. This can also be implemented throughout the OS as well and not just the lock screen.
    04-04-13 11:43 PM
    agree with you, Z10 should do that
    04-04-13 11:50 PM
    There is the Toast solution that seems to have been pushed to the way side.

Gyroscope senses the phone being picked up, turns on screen with message notification, tilting the phone more reveals the entire message, from here we can unlock the screen to the message location in the hub.
    Agreed, toasts would have been a neat way with a secure implementation to get notifications with minimal effort.
    Notification and System dialogs getting revamped for BlackBerry 10 with the addition of Cinnamon and French toast features | CrackBerry.com
    Spawn12 likes this.
    04-06-13 10:23 AM
    I like the "Make it an Option" idea. Let me choose if I want the message to pop up or not.

Posted via CB10
    ihys likes this.
    04-06-13 10:42 AM
    Unless you have an extremely long thumb, BB10 is much less involving to open a text from a locked screen single handed. If both of your hands are free, the extra steps you need on BB10 is neglect-able.

But I do agree with OP that there is no reason those extra steps can't be avoided on BB10 to make it better... except the man power, which may still be under tight squeeze.
    04-06-13 11:04 AM
    Neither care for the option of onscreen notifications on my lockscreen but if people want it then make it an option...job done. The people who dont care for security on their phones can have the option enabled and people who care for security can have it off.

Best of both worlds really.

Personally id like to see BB bring out the toast notifications that were shown off a yr ago.

Maybe someone should tweet Blackberry and find out what they done with the toast notifications, have to admit i was looking forward to that being on the z10.
    ihys likes this.
    04-06-13 11:09 AM
    I more than anything want BerryBuzz back so that I can customize number of vibrations and notification color. I don't mind unlocking to see the message, but I do prefer knowing what kind of message I just got.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 11:15 AM
    It would be cool if they had the normal swipe up to unlock, except as you swipe up you go over the notification icons on the left (i.e. FB, Text, etc) and each one highlights as you go over it, when you've reached the one you want to access just swipe over to the right to take you to that inbox. If you just want to go to the hub, allow the regular swipe up and right gesture without passing over the notification icons. This can also be implemented throughout the OS as well and not just the lock screen.
    It might be cool but defeats the purpose of LOCKING your phone. LEOs could access your messages where normally they would need a search warrant.

All I need is a red led to know if I need to unlock my phone.

Posted Via CB10 on my Zed10
    04-06-13 11:19 AM
    I'm thinking BB10 doesn't do that because of their better security. If you look at it from a security point of view, if sensitive info was displayed that freely, then Blackberry would be reducing privacy to iPhone level.
    We don't all want or need better security. They need to give us options. I could care less who sees my crap...m but BlackBerry needs to keep in mind what I ( the non business user) wants. Or its game over. BlackBerry cronies won't keep them in business

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 11:19 AM
    We don't all want or need better security. They need to give us options. I could care less who sees my crap...m but BlackBerry needs to keep in mind what I ( the non business user) wants. Or its game over. BlackBerry cronies won't keep them in business

Posted via CB10
    What phone did you have before the BlackBerry, if you don't mind me asking?

04-06-13 11:22 AM
    No thanks, I don't need my messages on display for the world to view, much prefer LED. Lets face it both methods tell us we have a message of some description, so all we are talking about is the exhausting extra amount of effort required to swipe up and to the right, oh and of course the extra second we had to spend. Really!. Also seems strange that all the people who could care less about security have their phones locked. Why would that be?
    Last edited by jimread1949; 04-06-13 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added comment
    04-06-13 11:33 AM
    What phone did you have before the BlackBerry, if you don't mind me asking?

7100 9700 9900 galaxy note 2.
    So ya you see my frustration. And no I have to stay on BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 11:44 AM
    No thanks, I don't need my messages on display for the world to view, much prefer LED. Lets face it both methods tell us we have a message of some description, so all we are talking about is the exhausting extra amount of effort required to swipe up and to the right, oh and of course the extra second we had to spend. Really!. Also seems strange that all the people who could care less about security have their phones locked. Why would that be?
    I could care less...work makes me use it might want it to be how I want it. my messages aren't that important. So give me an option.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 11:47 AM
    I know they did have that cinnamon and fresh toast effect I seen in leaks a few months ago, I know they kept the french Toast undo delete feature not sure why they didn't keep the cinnamon toast one, that was one I was looking forward to

http://m.crackberry.com/more-blackbe...-notificaitons
    One thing I really miss about my iPhone-img_00000264.png

Posted via CB10
    04-06-13 11:49 AM

They couldn't care less about someone reading their text messages. I think they still care about having a secured phone. I mean if they lost their phones they probably don't want people seeing their pictures or personal information. Just a guess.
    04-06-13 11:52 AM
    I'd like the option to have a button in the bottom right corner to hold, like you do with the camera button, and then it brings you straight to the HUB. Or hold the notification and bring you to that message inbox.
    04-06-13 11:56 AM
128 12345 ...