One nice thing about the iPhone in the way it notifies you about text messages is that it is very easy to access the message from a locked phone. It does three things that make the access so quick:

- Displays the first few lines of the text message on the lock screen. This allows you to decide whether you even want to unlock the phone to view the rest of the message.
    - Allows you to jump straight to the text from the lock screen by swiping to the right on the text message.
    - Turns on the phone's screen even if it is locked to show you the lock screen with the text message preview (not sure if I like this all that much; I like the more discreet blinking LED on the Z10).

So on the iPhone, it's a single swipe from the lock screen and you are right at the text message of interest. On the Z10 however, the workflow is noticeably more involved. Assuming you weren't previously in the text message app/hub, you have to

- Swipe up to unlock the phone.
    - Swipe up again and to the right to get to the hub.
    - Select the text message of interest to go to that text message conversation.

This may not sound like a big deal, but considering you have to do this every time a text comes in while the phone is locked, you really start to notice the extra effort involved.

I think it would be great if the Z10 adopted one or more of the following approaches:

(1) Allow you to perform the hub gesture (swipe up and right) from a locked phone so you can jump straight to your hub.
    (2) Display the text message preview in the lock screen so you can decide whether it's a message you even want to unlock your phone to view (although with this approach you'd probably want to be consistent and show all hub messages in the lock screen, which can quickly get crowded and annoying).
    (3) Allow you to click on the text message notification icon in the left corner of the lock screen to jump straight there.

These are just some ideas. I'm overall very happy with the Z10, considering it is such a new platform, but this unoptimal workflow has been catching my attention as an ex-iPhone user. Does anyone else feel the same way about this?
    BlackberryPig and MERCDROID like this.
    04-04-13 02:48 PM
    I think it would be great if the Z10 adopted one or more of the following approaches:

(1) Allow you to perform the hub gesture (swipe up and right) from a locked phone so you can jump straight to your hub.
    (2) Display the text message preview in the lock screen so you can decide whether it's a message you even want to unlock your phone to view (although with this approach you'd probably want to be consistent and show all hub messages in the lock screen, which can quickly get crowded and annoying).
    (3) Allow you to click on the text message notification icon in the left corner of the lock screen to jump straight there.

These are just some ideas. I'm overall very happy with the Z10, considering it is such a new platform, but this unoptimal workflow has been catching my attention as an ex-iPhone user. Does anyone else feel the same way about this?
    I like your ideas, especially #3
    04-04-13 02:53 PM
    I'm thinking BB10 doesn't do that because of their better security. If you look at it from a security point of view, if sensitive info was displayed that freely, then Blackberry would be reducing privacy to iPhone level.
    04-04-13 02:56 PM
    I agree. While the convenience factor would be high, it removes the security which I think is one of the key competitive advantages.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 03:05 PM
    I agree. While the convenience factor would be high, it removes the security which I think is one of the key competitive advantages.
    So make it an option maybe?

This is actually one of the main reasons I've passed on the Z10 for now. I don't need the security, but I do need (want) the convenience of active notifications. My old Bold worked similar to what OP described, as does my Android. The point being whenever a new message arrives, I don't have to do a thing aside from glance over at my phone to know what it is. It wakes up, shows a quick preview, then goes back to sleep. Couldn't be easier.
    04-04-13 03:10 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes but they could provide an option to see texts. If you think about, they give the option of NOT having a password on the phone, which is really unsecure.

Posted via CB10
    21stNow likes this.
    04-04-13 03:12 PM
    So make it an option maybe?

This is actually one of the main reasons I've passed on the Z10 for now. I don't need the security, but I do need (want) the convenience of active notifications. My old Bold worked similar to what OP described, as does my Android. The point being whenever a new message arrives, I don't have to do a thing aside from glance over at my phone to know what it is. It wakes up, shows a quick preview, then goes back to sleep. Couldn't be easier.
    True they could make it an option, with the ability for a company to block that option if the phone is being used for business.
    04-04-13 03:15 PM
    if sensitive info was displayed that freely, then Blackberry would be reducing privacy to iPhone level.
    I believe it's an option on the iPhone. So if it's turned off, then the iPhone's privacy would be raised to BB10 level
    MERCDROID, ihys, shinerb and 1 others like this.
    04-04-13 03:16 PM
    I have hope for this option feature in the future.

Remember, the iPhone's text message notification evolved a great deal from when it first started out. Ironically, Apple took ques from the jailbreaking community and copied how they were doing text message notification.
    04-04-13 03:24 PM
    This really says a lot about us humans as a race! Too much work this multiple gestures!! Why can't I just have the phone do everything so I can turn to jello...

Sorry didn't read all the replies just after the original I felt the need to throw my nickel in. and I actually did lol.

Posted via CB10
    JPSKILLZ, tulsasdoubled and J Rope like this.
    04-04-13 03:35 PM
    I came from iOS and I wasn't a fan of their sms notification. I hated how the first couple of lines of text would be displayed even on a lock screen, it seemed very intrusive to me. Luckily they had an option to turn that off. The whole notification system on iOS was a mess in my opinion. It's so much easier on BlackBerry 10 for me to stay on top of messages, emails and notifications, thanks to the hub and LED notification. LED notification is one of those things you don't fully appreciate until it's gone, it was a nightmare on iOS with out it.

Posted via CB10
    mk2234 and Spawn12 like this.
    04-04-13 03:36 PM
    There have been a lot of threads about this topic in the past. However i think you may be able to download an app for this sort of thing if you want it, i'm not certain, but you might be able to. The other threads may be of use.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 03:37 PM
    I like the idea of going straight to a message from the lock screen, but I don't want my message content displayed. I have noticed that with the iphone, it's so easy to read who someone is talking too, with the screen turning on and everything. I don't want that on my phone.
    04-04-13 03:42 PM
    I direct you to this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=791381

Posted via CB10 from my Zed
    04-04-13 03:58 PM
    While I have no problem with a "preview" option, I would never want my texts (or any other communications) displayed briefly on the giant z10 screen. I've easily been able to see other people's iPhone messages this way. And what happens if the message is a picture or video? Does that flash across the screen? No thanks!
    04-04-13 04:00 PM
    Valid points and good ideas! Hope someone's listening...
    Should add them to the suggestions for improvements thread as well

Posted via CB10
    04-04-13 04:08 PM
    All good ideas. But that's funny you miss that about your old iPhone and that's exactly what I hated about it!

Black Tie Z10
    04-04-13 04:13 PM
    yeah I dont want my messages to pop up willy-nilly on my homescreen
    04-04-13 04:17 PM
    No way do I want anyone else to peek at a message text when my phone is lying on a table!
    dirt662 likes this.
    04-04-13 04:17 PM
    I have been thinking about this for a bit now and what I would like to see is swipe to unlock (as there is now) but if I start on one of the icons it takes me to that area of the hub (text, facebook, email) if there is only one new message in that inbox it takes me straight to it. As far as security goes if i have a password it would be invoked now. This seems to be a decent compromise between security and convince.
    04-04-13 04:25 PM
    The only thing I really miss about my iphone is the constant urge to throw it against a wall in frustration.
    04-04-13 04:27 PM
    All good ideas. But that's funny you miss that about your old iPhone and that's exactly what I hated about it!

Black Tie Z10
    This is exactly what I was thinking. My whole time with iOS I missed my BlackBerry style notifications.

I like different tones for different notifications and a blinking light. This way I don't have to look at my phone if I don't want to.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2 on Verizon
    Vivda5 likes this.
    04-04-13 04:28 PM
    Preparing to get slammed here for this, but I much prefer the iOS and Android notification as a whole compared to my Z10. I am just so use to the little popups that appear at the top of my screen when I receive a notification. They go away in a few seconds without any input and allows me to see whatever the notification is about.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    04-04-13 04:29 PM
    Yes preview message on lock screen is something I hope 10.1 os updates.

I miss seeing that too on galaxy S3 had it and my iphone 4, sold galaxy and the vi phone I still have but no sim plan for it.

Love to see this added.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-04-13 04:38 PM
    I am in the same boat as a few others here in the fact that I prefer the BB style notification system.

The one thing I hate about the iPhone after using a Z10 is the closing out of apps. Double tapping the home button to bring up the running apps and then holding the icon until the little minuses show up is a PITA. The Z10 all you do is swipe up, tap the 'x' icon, and DONE.
    angieberry10, Spawn12 and Lyls like this.
    04-04-13 04:39 PM
128 123 ...