Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Querty Keyboard is better

29 25.00%
  • Touch Screen Z10 is better

76 65.52%
  • Don't own the Z10, Waiting for the Q10

11 9.48%
    I went from Lg Rumor 1, upgraded to the LG Rumor 2 then seen the light and got myself the Blackberry Torch 9800. The 9800 is what i have been using since i bought my BB Z10. So i have had a pretty good experience with slide out keypads, i loved my Torch so much i bought my brother a curve as well as my mother, we're all happy with Black Berry thus far.

I also have an I pod touch 4th Gen(just like the i phone i purchased my 9800 because i didn't see the point in owning an i phone because i already had the ipod). So i do have somewhat experience on how to text and navigate using a touch screen, texting is a nightmare on the ipod. Anyways i was very apprehensive on buying the Z10 because of it lacking a physical keyboard. The reason why i bought it, was simply because it seems to be the direction of the future for all cell phones. so i may as well get used to the touch screen now before it becomes the standard.

Before using the bbz10 i really thought it would be difficult to type and copy and paste. Well copy and pasting and selecting text is pretty weak on the Z10 but on all touch screen devices it's like that. However the TEXTING is an absolute DREAM. Day 1 i was making several mistakes, by Day 3 i was getting to typing speeds i was getting on my Torch. I now have had this phone for 8 days and i can honestly say i am texting faster than i ever was on the Torch because of the gestures feature.

So in short i miss my key pad but because of the ease of use the keypad is on the touchscreen and how quickly it is to type out your messages i do not regret my decision at all. The more you use it the better you will get with it. My friend has to turn his SG3 in landscape mode to do his texts because of how hard it is to type i showed him the BBZ10 and he was very impressed. Its the perfect size for both thumbs to type and plenty of room to see the message above, especially for us sausage finger fellas.

p.s. texting on the Z10 will spoil you. It has ruined me for all touch screens.
    deltact likes this.
    02-13-13 11:11 AM
    I send messages before I want because I hit the send when putting a period at the end of a sentence. I also am having a bit of an issue with slipping the words to the text. I end up putting the letter above in the text area. Just a matter of getting used to it I assume.

Good points - I totally agree!
    02-13-13 11:12 AM
    I recently purchased a Z10 and also have been shocked by how good the keyboard is. My other devices have been: BlackBerry 9810/9900/9800 (preferred the 9810) Motorola Defy Pro (a BB9900 knock-off running Android 2.3) and every webOS Pre. (Pre, Pre2, Pre3.) I also own an LG Windows Phone 7 phone with a slide out keyboard, and have owned an iPhone 3GS, the Sony Xperia Pro and Mini Pro. Of all of these devices, the Z10 is the fastest to type with. I have to remind myself to pause before hitting the Send because typos are so rare. It really is remarkable. As you can see from the devices above, I'm a total hardware keyboard guy. No more. Now I prefer the Z10 and the extra screen space that goes with it.

Had BlackBerry launched the Z10 and Q10 simultaneously, I likely would have purchased a Q10. I'm glad they did it this way. It will make screen keyboard believers out of QWERTY die-hards.
    deltact likes this.
    02-13-13 11:56 AM
    I was surprised how awesome it is to type with this new keyboard. I owned all the previously released BlackBerry devices and this is best touch so far. It is just as fast as bb9900 for me if not faster.

But keyboards blackberry are better to type with whole driving imo.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    02-13-13 12:11 PM
    Had a 9800 before.. you couldn't pay me to switch back.
    deltact likes this.
    02-13-13 12:38 PM
    The keyboard is great. I did have some reservations about all touch, but it's so clever and intuitive and the way it predicts words, and corrects spelling is unbelievable.
    In fact, you have to see it to believe it.

My only issue is with text messaging. There is no way, that I can see, to inset a carriage return (line break) and I also hit the "Send" button too early!!!
    Could do with moving it away from the full stop (period) key.

Otherwise, loving it....

I send messages before I want because I hit the send when putting a period at the end of a sentence. I also am having a bit of an issue with slipping the words to the text. I end up putting the letter above in the text area. Just a matter of getting used to it I assume.
    You both know that you can enter a period/full stop by double tapping the space bar, right?
    02-13-13 01:39 PM
    I love mine. I'm also currently using a Galaxy SIII and Note II, but the Z10 is my main phone. I'm just missing a couple apps, but they're not enough to make me switch back.
    02-13-13 01:40 PM
    You need a 4th option in your poll: Are you happy with your Z10 touch screen keyboard but prefer the physical keyboard.

I love my Z10 and the touchscreen keyboard it comes with. That's not to say that at times, especially when I'm feeling nostalgic, I don't miss my 9900 and its physical keyboard. Does that mean that the physical keyboard is better? No. It simply means that I've been using a physical qwerty keyboard since March of 2008 and at times, I miss it. I'm sure that in time, not much though as its already happening, I'll get over my physical keyboard and be fully immersed in my touchscreen keyboard.

On a side note, having used an iPhone 4, Galaxy SII (both for work) a Galaxy SIII (friends) and a Torch 9860, I can easily say that the touchscreen keyboard on the Z10 is the best without a doubt!
    b320 and deltact like this.
    02-13-13 01:45 PM
    I'm kind of undecided I,m not sure if i am just so used to the key that the Z10 is taking me some time it is the best touch key bored ive ever used though.
    02-13-13 01:46 PM
    i've had a long list of QWERTY phones (treo 600 & 650, HTC Excalibur, Nokia E7, BB9700, BB9900) and the z10 is definitely a worthy contender as far as the keyboard goes. each day it gets better and better and i have feeling i won't even be looking at the Q10 when it drops. the z10 keyboard is that good.
    02-13-13 01:46 PM
    (short answer) = Yes

(long version) =

I bought the Z10, and before it arrived had already planned on using the device til the Q10 was out.

Let me just say... the keyboard is so good its stupid! I was trying to type and was doing well by hitting the touchscreen keys with precision and felt good about it, then somewhere on these forums I read a user post that he was just tapping away not really being precise and hitting the wrong keys, and that the auto correct kicked in and typed out the entire message correctly...

Well... I tried this, and yep, it works!

I was s**t scared to try it out, my first blackberry was a *closes eyes* Storm... and that devices high feature was the keyboard too (surepress), so I felt maybe the Z10 would fail me too but damn, I've been converted and won't be getting the Q10.

My only pain is... NO trackpad which means we can't select text or copy & paste with ease, the Q10 has this missing too, and the Z10 doesn't make selecting text/copying/pasting easy, takes A LOT of effort, hope they fix this soon.

That's not exactly true. You can highlight, copy, and paste. While viewing a document with text, if you put your finger on the screen touching the text and hold it there for a couple seconds you will see a little highlight bar pop up on the text, sometimes selecting the word. This bar will be shaded in blue and have two dots at either end. Drag the dot in either direction to "block" text and then select the option you would like to do such as copy on the slide out pane on the right side. This works awesome! There are lots of hidden or not so obvious features in the operating system such as this. Touching the screen for an extended period of time will often open a sub menu depending on what app you're in. Try it on one of the screens where all the apps are listed. Hold one app selection for a couple seconds, (i'ts kinda the BB10 version or right clicking), now you can delete an unwanted app or better yet rearrange them in the order you want on what page you want!

I love this Z10!
    02-13-13 02:20 PM
    The bloody thing is amazing. You don't even need to think about what you have written. Jeez...I basically just whacked the **** out of the keyboard writing this and this is the result. Not corrections after looking back that the screen...

b320 likes this.
    02-13-13 02:25 PM
    I was surprised how awesome it is to type with this new keyboard. I owned all the previously released BlackBerry devices and this is best touch so far. It is just as fast as bb9900 for me if not faster.

I use the voice recognition if I have to reply while driving. It works really well except my BlueAnt Q2 earpiece does not "disconnect" when the voice command is initiated by holding the "." key. Otherwise great.
    02-13-13 02:34 PM
    That's not exactly true. You can highlight, copy, and paste. While viewing a document with text, if you put your finger on the screen touching the text and hold it there for a couple seconds you will see a little highlight bar pop up on the text, sometimes selecting the word. This bar will be shaded in blue and have two dots at either end. Drag the dot in either direction to "block" text and then select the option you would like to do such as copy on the slide out pane on the right side. This works awesome! There are lots of hidden or not so obvious features in the operating system such as this. Touching the screen for an extended period of time will often open a sub menu depending on what app you're in. Try it on one of the screens where all the apps are listed. Hold one app selection for a couple seconds, (i'ts kinda the BB10 version or right clicking), now you can delete an unwanted app or better yet rearrange them in the order you want on what page you want!

I love this Z10!
    While you are correct, you can cut and paste, it takes a good bit more effort to do. Also worth noting, there are some inconsistencies in where text selection and where it doesn't work.

Just as an example, I can't seem to copy anything from the forums section of the Crackberry app, unless I am editing a post.

02-13-13 03:23 PM
    Look Z10, imma let you finish, but the 9900 was the best keyboard of all time!!
    then q10 keyboard will blow you away ....
    02-13-13 07:41 PM
    That's not exactly true. You can highlight, copy, and paste. While viewing a document with text, if you put your finger on the screen touching the text and hold it there for a couple seconds you will see a little highlight bar pop up on the text, sometimes selecting the word. This bar will be shaded in blue and have two dots at either end. Drag the dot in either direction to "block" text and then select the option you would like to do such as copy on the slide out pane on the right side. This works awesome!
    I played around with a Z10 in a store for 30 minutes and I found it extremely difficult to select text. It was harder even than the BB7 on-screen controls on my 9810. The selection dots are too small for one thing. It was very hard to resize the selection. Then, when I got the selection right, and held my finger down on the selection to bring up the cut/copy/paste menu, sometimes I would lose the selection and have to start over.

Also, since I was doing this in the text messages app, the virtual keyboard kept appearing and disappearing. It would disappear whenever focus left the composition box and then it would reappear whenever focus returned to the box. That meant that the composition box kept jumping around on the screen, and sometimes I would move my finger to resize the selection, but the keyboard would reappear under my finger I would end up replacing the selection with random characters.

There was no way of forcing the virtual keyboard to stay open. The whole experience was very frustrating. Not impossible, but not something I would want to do if I was in a hurry.

I know the trackpad isn't coming back, but they need to seriously put some work into improving the text editing features in BB10.
    02-14-13 02:21 PM
    I went from a qwerty to the Z10 and thought that I would always want a keypad phone but the z10 keypad is really really good and I would recommend anyone who had the same doubts as me to get the z10!

02-14-13 02:26 PM
    I do think that the touch screen keyboard is fantastic and the more I use the more I get used to not having physical QWERTY. The only think I don't like is when the auto correct, corrects slang etc. But it's a learning curve. You would have no trouble coming from a physical QWERTY to the Z10.
    02-14-13 02:47 PM
    Being a qwerty user for so long I was sceptical as well regarding the Z10 touchscreen keyboard. But I am really impressed with it but of course there are always going to be a couple things that a physical keyboard will do better.
    02-14-13 02:54 PM
    Coming from a 9900, this keyboard is a worthy successor. The swipe prediction is enough to put it, at the very least, on the same level.
    02-14-13 03:02 PM
    I've been enjoying the use of the Z10 keyboard but wasn't sure if was faster or slower until I was watching my wife send a message with her Bold 9780 today.

Sure looked like a lot of work typing all those letters without the intuitive keyboard of the Z10.

02-14-13 03:05 PM

I love this Z10!
    What's not entirely true?

I know we can highlight, copy & paste, what I said was:

we can't select text or copy & paste with ease
    The trackpad + alt key gave some serious precision with speed, this has been lost on the touchscreen.
    02-14-13 03:06 PM
    Having used BB's since the very first model in the 90's, I can say the days for me to actually type a hundred emails a day for years and years are just simply not as prevalent as they used to be.

Back then technology was not as refined and it was more important to get the message out and or in reply to one just read. Everyone assumed since they had sent it, you must have read it and agreed to it or some other presumption.

Now, there are just fewer times I need that capability. Thank goodness, far less novels being written in the komode. I have iphones and droids in the house as well tom compare with and am very familiar with their digital keyboard. No doubt I have found my Z10 far better. Maybe it's thumb skills, maybe it's thumb size, but I never bought or used any device over the years without a full keyboard and often had 2 devices, mostly both for work, while supporting the family tech.

I think the screen size is going to prove more useful since I probably do more reading now than writing. The shift towards doing it right and nice, is still far easier on a computer and I know from experience people grew tired of the poorly typed, quickly typed, formating-less verbage being produced on mobile devices. There have been some improvements on that front, but, when it comes down to making it look right... read it on a mobile device, assess the importance, then reply on a computer with all the grammar, spelling, formatting, fonts and synonyms you can shake a stick at.

I'm sure I am a bit off on some of the opinion, teens could easily out-type me no doubt, but, I do shamefully have to admit that the world is going visual and the way of the keyboard is holding me back.

If I were to really say what makes me happy, after 20+ years in large enterprise ISIT and in dozens of countries (many device and carrier experiences), i have to ask this question of my self. Am I more pleased to watch a fun movie or try to convince my self time and time again that typing that email to my boss or friend was equally satisfying or comparable. I bucket the screen and speed now into the personal side of using a mobile device and can live without a physical keyboard for the work stuff.

People will need both for as long as technology has no other replacement for human interface devices... i honestly thought that by now, we would have achieved some serious voice (or higher power) technology improvements, but they haven't really been moving as fast as other areas in technology advancements.

Voice control, swipes, gestures, motion sensing, dictation... all together have been fighting the alphabet for a long time.

I hope my very first post to CB goes well. My final answer to the question is an absolute yes I am happy and I'm sure the 200 other mixed users at my company and the many friends and family who left BB devices will as well. I cannot say if they will all come back but, the Z10 sure puts BB back into the good books of innovation where they belong.
    deltact likes this.
    02-14-13 03:37 PM
    Yeah, guess I'm gonna have to give up on that....wait! What about Voice-to-Text? Does that exist?

Glad this thread exists. The virtual keyboards on my Torch/friend's iPhones/wife's Android had me worried about giving up the physical keyboard on my Torch 9800.

Now I'll worry about other stuff!
    02-14-13 04:43 PM
    I played around with a Z10 in a store for 30 minutes and I found it extremely difficult to select text. It was harder even than the BB7 on-screen controls on my 9810. The selection dots are too small for one thing. It was very hard to resize the selection. Then, when I got the selection right, and held my finger down on the selection to bring up the cut/copy/paste menu, sometimes I would lose the selection and have to start over.

Also, since I was doing this in the text messages app, the virtual keyboard kept appearing and disappearing. It would disappear whenever focus left the composition box and then it would reappear whenever focus returned to the box. That meant that the composition box kept jumping around on the screen, and sometimes I would move my finger to resize the selection, but the keyboard would reappear under my finger I would end up replacing the selection with random characters.

There was no way of forcing the virtual keyboard to stay open. The whole experience was very frustrating. Not impossible, but not something I would want to do if I was in a hurry.

I know the trackpad isn't coming back, but they need to seriously put some work into improving the text editing features in BB10.
    It gets easier with more use, but it still needs improvement. It's oodles and gobs best than it was on the PlayBook though.

02-14-13 04:43 PM
88 1234