Voters
116. You may not vote on this poll
  • Querty Keyboard is better

29 25.00%
  • Touch Screen Z10 is better

76 65.52%
  • Don't own the Z10, Waiting for the Q10

11 9.48%
    Just curious what u think of this touch screen keyboard? Are u a faster typer on the z10, does it feel comfortable? Do u wish or plan on getting the Q10 instead? Do u Prefer the Querty keyboard, but feel like it looks too outdated (not trendy)
    Last edited by bjacob; 02-13-13 at 03:16 AM.
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    02-13-13 02:51 AM
    I think you're missing an option that would say something like: "Z10 keyboard is the best touchscreen keyboard yet but BlackBerry 9900 is still better."
    02-13-13 03:16 AM
    (short answer) = Yes

(long version) =

I bought the Z10, and before it arrived had already planned on using the device til the Q10 was out.

Let me just say... the keyboard is so good its stupid! I was trying to type and was doing well by hitting the touchscreen keys with precision and felt good about it, then somewhere on these forums I read a user post that he was just tapping away not really being precise and hitting the wrong keys, and that the auto correct kicked in and typed out the entire message correctly...

Well... I tried this, and yep, it works!

I was s**t scared to try it out, my first blackberry was a *closes eyes* Storm... and that devices high feature was the keyboard too (surepress), so I felt maybe the Z10 would fail me too but damn, I've been converted and won't be getting the Q10.

My only pain is... NO trackpad which means we can't select text or copy & paste with ease, the Q10 has this missing too, and the Z10 doesn't make selecting text/copying/pasting easy, takes A LOT of effort, hope they fix this soon.

Savior4Life, Engire and tmaier like this.
    02-13-13 03:19 AM
    Coming from a physical keyboard I can say that I avoided getting any iphones or other touch screen devices because I hated their virtual keyboards, but that issue is completely nonexistent with my Z10. I can type as fast, if not faster, than on my Bold, and it's a lot of fun. I do miss the shortcuts with it, but it's something that I come to terms with by now. Hope this helps. I think you'll benefit from the larger screen... I know I do.

Posted using CrackBerry App on BB10
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-13-13 03:25 AM
    I find the keyboard to be as fast as the 9900 personally with the exception of inputting symbols. Overall I am fairly accurate at high speeds and when I'm feeling lazy I just swipe words and let the phone do the work.

I like many others was very skeptical about a virtual keyboard actually being competitive with a physical keyboard. But after a week with the Z10 I must say I am sold. I am pretty sure you would be too after using it for more than a day or so.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-13-13 03:31 AM
    While I have some other things to complain, the keyboard is just fine after my 9900

BergerKing likes this.
    02-13-13 03:31 AM
    TBH YES I do miss the keyboard. But with that said, the on screen keyboard on the Z10 is the best in the business.

BergerKing and b320 like this.
    02-13-13 03:32 AM
    The keyboard is great. I did have some reservations about all touch, but it's so clever and intuitive and the way it predicts words, and corrects spelling is unbelievable.
    In fact, you have to see it to believe it.

My only issue is with text messaging. There is no way, that I can see, to inset a carriage return (line break) and I also hit the "Send" button too early!!!
    Could do with moving it away from the full stop (period) key.

Otherwise, loving it....

BergerKing likes this.
    02-13-13 04:31 AM
    I also assumed I'd be using my Z10 only until I could get a Q10, but now? Not so sure. The keyboard is really, really good.
    02-13-13 06:50 AM
    I was also nervous switching to z10 after using qwerty on BB since the first blackberry ever came out. I use email all day long and sometimes type lengthy emails.

The Z10 keyboard is just amazing. After about a week of use, I can type faster on theZ10. I've told many folks. You can type crap full speed and its corrects the mess automatically. The key (pun) is to trust the keyboard and let er rip. Don't bother trying to stop and flick words.

I have no regrets now with touchscreen and don't see going back to physical keyboard. Blackberry hit home run on keyboard.

Sent from a non bb10 playbook.
    02-13-13 07:07 AM
    As others have said, there were initial reservations going to a full touch screen from the physical keyboard.
    I no longer fear change after a week using the z10!
    Typing as fast if not faster, easy to use and very intuitive.
    Glad i stepped outside my comfort zone...there will be no Q10 for me.
    Cheers

02-13-13 07:12 AM
    Hard core QWERTY guy here

SURPRISINGLY very impressed with the Z10's keyboard

I am 48 hours in and I think I am typing faster. About 98% accurate
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-13-13 07:26 AM
    Yup qwerty guy here as well. Hate the I phone 5 keyboard, hate the SG3 keyboard, despised the storm keyboard...lol.10 keyboard is awesome. I was thinking Q10, but I'm sticking with the Z10.

Last edited by kccman; 02-14-13 at 06:24 PM.
    BergerKing likes this.
    02-13-13 07:43 AM
    Sent from a non bb10 playbook.
    Non BB10 PlayBook.

02-13-13 07:54 AM
    Yes..my ownly gripe is the BACKSPACE and SEND are one on top of the other.
    Sometimes when I want to backspace, my big fingers hit send. Swiping across the keyboard to the left will remove the whole word.

The auto-correct fixes 3/4s of my mistakes, and its learning the words I use for swipe-complete. So it'll only get better and more predictive.

I loved my 9900s physical keyboard, but the screen on this thing was just too good to pass up for a smaller one with keyboard.
    Screen won out.
    02-13-13 07:59 AM
    the touchscreen keyboard is actually good. predictive text and word shortcuts make typing easier. overall good keyboard. i do not have to have physical keyboard.
    02-13-13 08:15 AM
    Look Z10, imma let you finish, but the 9900 was the best keyboard of all time!!
    b320 likes this.
    02-13-13 08:22 AM
    The keyboard is great. I did have some reservations about all touch, but it's so clever and intuitive and the way it predicts words, and corrects spelling is unbelievable.

My only issue is with text messaging. There is no way, that I can see, to inset a carriage return (line break) and I also hit the "Send" button too early!!!

Otherwise, loving it....

my 9900 died months ago but I recall there is an option to set Enter key as Send Key or insert a line break. Perhaps the Z10 has similar option in SMS/MMS. could you double check?
    02-13-13 08:24 AM
    Coming from bb9900 I have always avoid full touch screen phone because of the virtual keyboard... but I must say z10 has change my mind about virtual keyboard its very good I type the same as having a physical keyboard I don't think I will be getting the q10 when they launch unless there will be a huge different between the two phones

02-13-13 08:28 AM
    I came from the 9810, figuring that was the best of both worlds. I decided to go with the z10 for the screen mostly, but had read a ton of stuff regarding the z10 keyboard. Especially tweets by, I believe it was CBKevin, who was raving about the keyboard even when he had a few drinks in him and was still able to fully type out a coherent message.

I can say I have had the same experience. I started using the flick gesture, and still do once in a while, but have found I can type just as fast if not faster now just by letting my fingers fly over the keyboard.

I've used bbry qwerty keyboards for years, I used the touch screen keyboard on the 9810, once in a while, I've used idevices, and a couple different keyboard options for android. I had an SGII for a while and tried all kinds of stuff from the default to swype.

This keyboard is the best yet. It has an amazing way of knowing what to type and when.

02-13-13 08:51 AM
    If it weren't for auto correct, every word I type would be misspelled. I do miss the physical keyboard, I could actually type almost flaw free.

02-13-13 09:01 AM
    I was always against the touch keyboard, but didn't want to wait for the Q. I love this keyboard, or rather the way it works, I can zoom on it and the way it corrects is awesome. I'm actually faster I think. Consider me converted.
    02-13-13 10:25 AM
    I had reservations going in, as I have never got on very well with virtual keyboards. I so wanted this phone though, that I was prepared to adapt. Suffice to say that the Z10 KB has made that process very easy!
    02-13-13 10:36 AM
    z10 keyboard is pretty accurate and easy to use for a virtual keyboard but I do prefer just typing and the search results come up. With the z10 you need to press the search icon... I know it's one extra move but it translate to everything. If you want to dial a number with the keypad you just start typing the number, z10 you need to enter the phone menu.
    02-13-13 10:38 AM

Otherwise, loving it....

Good points - I totally agree!
    02-13-13 10:39 AM
88 123 ...