A sad, sad sight. This Z10 belongs to my close buddy who lives ins a pretty small town in northern Alberta (not too many indie phone shops in town). I'm trying to see if I can help him out.

His Z10 hit a ceramic tile floor from about 3 feet (landed flat, face first) and you can (sort of) see the result. I'm trying for better pics. He says that the phone still works but gestures get sketchy in the area of the break. My question is - can someone suggest a shop in the GTA where I can take this to get it looked at? Reason I ask is that the phone is so new, I doubt many people have much experience with this yet.

Does anyone know whether the glass screen piece can be replaced on these if he's lucky enough not to have involved the 'sensor surface' (or whatever it's called) below the glass?

Should he avoid using it completely until it can be looked at?

02-13-13 09:46 PM
    wow.. that really sucks.. I can't imagine parts are available yet.. I think your buddy is going to be SOL
    02-13-13 09:59 PM
    oh man.. the screen cracked
    02-13-13 09:59 PM
    oooohhh child! a broken z10 glass mean 10 years of bad luck
    wxmancanada likes this.
    02-13-13 10:00 PM
    This is why it's good to get insurance ...
    02-13-13 10:01 PM
    Yes, I guess like most of us, he pays so much to insure all his other stuff and you don't think of insuring your phone until this happens, at which point it seems like a pretty good idea.

So it may be that parts aren't available yet? I have to assume that it won't be too long, right?
    oooohhh child! a broken z10 glass mean 10 years of bad luck
    Yep, with a $650 + tax hit to your wallet on Day 1. Because let's face it... which of us who are true enthusiasts are going to be able to just say 'Oh well' and go back to whatever we were using before : )
    02-13-13 10:04 PM
    A sad, sad sight. This Z10 belongs to my close buddy who lives ins a pretty small town in northern Alberta (not too many indie phone shops in town). I'm trying to see if I can help him out.

His Z10 hit a ceramic tile floor from about 3 feet (landed flat, face first) and you can (sort of) see the result. I'm trying for better pics. He says that the phone still works but gestures get sketchy in the area of the break. My question is - can someone suggest a shop in the GTA where I can take this to get it looked at? Reason I ask is that the phone is so new, I doubt many people have much experience with this yet.

Does anyone know whether the glass screen piece can be replaced on these if he's lucky enough not to have involved the 'sensor surface' (or whatever it's called) below the glass?

Should he avoid using it completely until it can be looked at?

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/422/stevebustedz10.jpg
    here is a link Toronto Repair-Cell Phone Repair Toronto, Iphone, Blackberry, HTC All Models Repairs
    02-13-13 10:11 PM
    Yep, with a $650 + tax hit to your wallet on Day 1. Because let's face it... which of us who are true enthusiasts are going to be able to just say 'Oh well' and go back to whatever we were using before : )
    Did he buy the device using an American Express card, Visa Platinum or higher or any decent MasterCard? If so, he should definitely check with his credit card company as this should qualify for a repair under "Purchase Protection" features of his card. He must make a claim and complete other steps.
    MattUK likes this.
    02-13-13 10:12 PM
    02-13-13 10:16 PM
    this listing ended but the seller might have more?: Blackberry Z10 Digitizer Screen | eBay
    02-13-13 10:18 PM
    Thanks - is that a firm you've used yourself?
    Did he buy the device using an American Express card, Visa Platinum or higher or any decent MasterCard? If so, he should definitely check with his credit card company as this should qualify for a repair under "Purchase Protection" features of his card. He must make a claim and complete other steps.
    Good question, I'll ask in a while.
    02-13-13 10:18 PM
    this listing ended but the seller might have more?: Blackberry Z10 Digitizer Screen | eBay
    Interesting... puts a first $$ figure on what this might cost to fix. Thanks.
    02-13-13 10:19 PM
    Check out etradesupply.com

It is out of stock now but maybe check back later.

http://www.etradesupply.com/oem-blac...ch-screen.html
    02-13-13 10:43 PM
    Yeah you should probably watch a Video that some guy demoed about dropping his Z10 on carpet, wood and pavement. It did fine on Carpet but once it hit that pavement The Screen Stopped working.You could Not do any swipes or gestures. Watch this video and You'll THANK ME when you see that Everyone needs to be careful with this Phone, or you'll pay a price.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...p-test-768311/
    02-13-13 10:50 PM
    Check out etradesupply.com

It is out of stock now but maybe check back later.

BlackBerry Z10 Digitizer|Touch Screen
    That's what we're looking for. Thanks.
    02-13-13 10:51 PM
    That's a good call.. my visa covers all kinds of stuff if it gets either broken or stolen, but I never think of taking advantage of it!
    02-13-13 10:55 PM
    That's a good call.. my visa covers all kinds of stuff if it gets either broken or stolen, but I never think of taking advantage of it!
    Yeah. Usually, it's only within the first 90 days of purchase and the terms require that you pay for the entire purchase using that payment card.
    02-13-13 10:57 PM
    Try Omega Cell in Edmonton
    02-13-13 10:59 PM
    Where can one get insurance for the Z10 in Canada? Through BB?
    02-13-13 11:00 PM
    In the GTA (Markham) you can try Pacific Mall. I'm sure they will be able to fix it as long as parts are available.
    02-13-13 11:02 PM
    My carrier... TELUS was offering me insurance at $7/month that covers anything, no questions asked. I declined.
    02-13-13 11:04 PM
    Yeah. Usually, it's only within the first 90 days of purchase and the terms require that you pay for the entire purchase using that payment card.
    I'm sure all cards are different, but mine is for DOUBLE the manufacturers warranty period.. so if it has a 1 year warranty, Visa will cover it for 2 years..

And there's no requirement to make the entire purchase on the card BUT they only cover the portion that was put on the card.. so in the case of a cell phone, if I paid 139 on contract, all i'm getting back from visa is 139 even though it's going to cost 650 for a replacement.
    02-13-13 11:07 PM
    Almost always, it's through the carrier. Best Buy has "protection plans" as well and sometimes they're a decent deal but they can also be quite a bit more costly than carrier-provided insurance.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    02-13-13 11:08 PM
    Try Omega Cell in Edmonton
    Thanks, that works location-wise. We'll call them.

My carrier... TELUS was offering me insurance at $7/month that covers anything, no questions asked. I declined.
    I think I pay 2.4% of replacement value/year for my musical instruments which includes theft and any damage that might occur. I called Telus today to see about buying one outright for myself and they quoted me $650. 2.4% of that would be what, about $15.60?

Even if the actuarial guys say a phone is more likely than a guitar to get damaged/stolen, that's typical Telus BS. $7/month = $84/year is absurd.
    02-13-13 11:08 PM
    It's the carriers that offers insurances, some are for $10/month others are cheaper..depends on who you're with.
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    02-13-13 11:10 PM
68 123