Whatever is causing the issue BlackBerry MUST identify, and assume responsibility. Otherwise they are not a serious company.
    Saying to people just to take the unit back to the seller and replace, is not a responsible answer, especially if they or us do not know for sure that the replacement will not have the same issue.
    (This has already happened once according to a post in BB forum).
    They HAVE to give us an answer and a solution.
    Finally, as I have already stated, in my humble opinion the problem is coating being removed and not some kind of residue that is left over from the protecting sticker.
    The guy who removed his "tru" protector and thinks that the problem was gone must revisit the problem and see if all his screen now has the problem. (meaning that "tru" removed all his coating).
    04-07-13 10:27 PM
    The protector did not "remove" the coating. If people were to read the whole thread, the "smudges" in question are/were oleophobic and hydrophobic which is why I tested the screen with a sheet of water. If the screen smudges were present or increased, the water tension would show it. It's been days since I removed my protector and the screen is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    miko2097 likes this.
    04-07-13 10:39 PM
    The protector did not "remove" the coating. If people were to read the whole thread, the "smudges" in question are/were oleophobic and hydrophobic which is why I tested the screen with a sheet of water. If the screen smudges were present or increased, the water tension would show it. It's been days since I removed my protector and the screen is perfect.

Posted via CB10
    This makes total sense if in fact the film on the BlackBerry was in some way reacting with the coating on the glass. Because if whatever residue left behind had hardened transparently to the screen but was more vulnerable to retaining oils it would give that particular spot a hydrophobic quality being that water will not mix with oil. It could be that the residual spots broke down over time as they cured and thus removed when the screen protector was lifted from the face of the phone. I'm not saying this IS the only possible answer but rather that it looks more and more compelling that this could be a possible answer to the question of what these smudges are. As for me I've decided to just leave my protector on and not even check... I'm overly happy with my phone as it is and the fact remains that I've only seen this reported on maybe 20 posts. Under the assumption that 30 to 40 percent of people who bought this phone actually use this forum or where brought to it by Google if they noticed a problem and the fact that BlackBerry reported roughly 1 million sales equates to a less than 1% effective rate of occurance. Easily within the margins of user / manufacturing tolerance by any product standard.

Via Zed using CB10
    04-07-13 11:27 PM
    Does this seem to be a common or widespread issue? If so I might just wait a bit for newer units to come in or get a Q10 instead.
    04-08-13 01:06 AM
    As I mentioned above I don't think is a widespread issue at all. Sometimes when your reading through here you have to understand that this forum only represents a small percentage of actually owners who use the phone (many don't even have the phone). That compounded with the fact that people in general report on "Issues" they are having much more than when something works as well as or better than expected. My best guess is that the actual percentage of people who experience quality control issues is around or less than one percent. Personally this device is fantastic and any software issues will eventually get hammered out with future releases!

Via Zed using CB10
    04-08-13 07:22 AM
    As I mentioned above I don't think is a widespread issue at all. Sometimes when your reading through here you have to understand that this forum only represents a small percentage of actually owners who use the phone (many don't even have the phone). That compounded with the fact that people in general report on "Issues" they are having much more than when something works as well as or better than expected. My best guess is that the actual percentage of people who experience quality control issues is around or less than one percent. Personally this device is fantastic and any software issues will eventually get hammered out with future releases!

Via Zed using CB10
    Very well stated and professional answer.
    My best guess is that BlackBerry must address the issue and give an answer.

Posted via my beloved Zeeeeeeee
    th3h0ff likes this.
    04-08-13 08:02 AM
    04-08-13 10:13 AM
    Same problem, different thread.
    It should have been one thread. I do not know if the moderators can merge them.

Posted via my beloved Zeeeeeeee
    mnc76 likes this.
    04-08-13 10:41 AM
    Not disagreeing at all, just thinking outside the box! I also used my nexus that way for a while and never had any issues but the possibility could exist that the problem lie in the adhesive used on the plastic covering and some type of chemical reaction between the pressure, heated screen, and whatever compound BlackBerry is using to coat the screen. Just thought it would explain the apparent smudge like appearance on the glass being that this is a gesture based OS.

Via Zed using CB10
    Absolutely. I agree that this is a possibility.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 01:11 PM
    Whatever is causing the issue BlackBerry MUST identify, and assume responsibility. Otherwise they are not a serious company.
    Saying to people just to take the unit back to the seller and replace, is not a responsible answer, especially if they or us do not know for sure that the replacement will not have the same issue.
    (This has already happened once according to a post in BB forum).
    They HAVE to give us an answer and a solution.
    Finally, as I have already stated, in my humble opinion the problem is coating being removed and not some kind of residue that is left over from the protecting sticker.
    The guy who removed his "tru" protector and thinks that the problem was gone must revisit the problem and see if all his screen now has the problem. (meaning that "tru" removed all his coating).
    Unless they are Apple, in which case they would tell us that we are "Looking at the screen Wrong" or that the blotches "Are actually a 'Feature'"

Posted via CB10
    04-08-13 01:15 PM
    When cleaning your phone with glass solution be careful NOT to spray the cleaning solution on the glass. I've messed up my speakers on my previous phone that way. Goodluck with the smudge.

Susan
    04-08-13 02:17 PM
    I have this same issue and thought I was going crazy or had scratched the screen. (there is no scratch, the screen looks perfect after wiping with a microfibre cloth)

The phone was purchased on launch day here in Canada, so I doubt the retailer (I bought it at Wireless Wave off of contract) will give me a new one over the counter. Should I call Blackberry support directly?
    05-03-13 01:42 PM
    My smudge is growing larger and worse and 2 smaller ones have appeared. I really doubt I could get a replacement now, to be honest. It does bother me that this flagship phone suffered so many seperate issues.

Posted via CB10
    05-04-13 09:25 PM
    I am going to take it in to Wireless Wave today and see what they think.
    05-06-13 10:44 AM
    Confirmed, the guy at Wireless Wave agrees that it is a defect and should be sent back to Blackberry for repair.

My only problem is, 4-6 weeks expected turnaround for the repair. Is this normal for BB? Not sure I can go back to my old device for that long.
    05-07-13 11:11 AM
    I have the same issue.
    I have been using eyeglass lens cleaner and microfiber cloth everyday. I think it might be getting better over time or its just my fingers have less oil lately.
    On occasion I can feel a 'grittyness' around the affected area. It is a circle about 3 cm diameter, sort of like a ring left on a table from a wet glass.
    Immediately after cleaning it looks perfect, it is only after oil from fingers gets on screen that you can see and feel it.
    05-07-13 11:45 AM
    Hey all.

I took my Z10 back to Rogers and they sent it back without fixing the issue--in fact the repair note said they had "fixed a booting problem" with the phone that it never had!

So when I got it back, I simply handed it back to the guy at the Rogers store and had them send it out again.

When I got it back the second time, they sent back a totally brand new unit!! So my issue is fixed (no smudges on this one).

However, while waiting for it to come back the second time (and dreading it would come back unfixed again) I happened to find THIS!

Amazon.com: API The World's First Anti Fingerprint Oleophobic Coating Kit Fusso SmartPhone: Cell Phones & Accessories

Here is an article on iFixit

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HOW+TO+C...ourself/9682/1

Here is a youtube video of it being used:

I ended up not needing to use it, but I felt I needed to post this as it may help some of you guys with the smudge issue.

Good luck!!!
    ThaMunsta likes this.
    05-07-13 01:45 PM
    And here is a video showing the results (please excuse the horrible music!! : )

05-07-13 01:54 PM
    Hey all.

I took my Z10 back to Rogers and they sent it back without fixing the issue--in fact the repair note said they had "fixed a booting problem" with the phone that it never had!

So when I got it back, I simply handed it back to the guy at the Rogers store and had them send it out again.

When I got it back the second time, they sent back a totally brand new unit!! So my issue is fixed (no smudges on this one).

However, while waiting for it to come back the second time (and dreading it would come back unfixed again) I happened to find THIS!

Amazon.com: API The World's First Anti Fingerprint Oleophobic Coating Kit Fusso SmartPhone: Cell Phones & Accessories

HOW TO COAT Anti Fingerprint Oleophobic Coating by yourself - iFixit

Here is a youtube video of it being used:

I ended up not needing to use it, but I felt I needed to post this as it may help some of you guys with the smudge issue.

Good luck!!!
    Mind if I ask how long it took you to get the phone back from Rogers?
    05-07-13 01:54 PM
    Mind if I ask how long it took you to get the phone back from Rogers?
    Oh wow, it was a good 10 days each time Also, the second time I sent it back, I actually drew a rectangle and the location of the spots where the smudges were (on the printout the Rogers guys sent with the phone). I also had the Rogers guy add that "customer requests a replacement screen".

Glad I did it, but it was painful. I found my self trying to use gestures on my old 9810 all the time while I was waiting.
    05-07-13 02:57 PM

HOW TO COAT Anti Fingerprint Oleophobic Coating by yourself - iFixit
    Thanks! I've been wondering if I could replicate the stuff they use on it. Damn, shipping that Fusso stuff to Canada is hard but I'll give it a shot if it will redo the coating on mine. I'd much rather fix it then send the unit back and go through that. I have a good feeling about it. IMO the blotches aren't the coating coming off, but more like the coating dribbled on without being rubbed in. I tried Rain-X thinking that might work but LOL nope... Just gives your Z10 a nice water beading effect, does nothing for finger prints :P I'll find out in a couple weeks if it works and post back to let anyone know.

I also agree this isn't a widespread issue. Just a matter of some units sneaking past quality control. Lets face it, you can't tell unless you put some finger prints on it, and they aren't allowed to send out fingerprinted devices XD
    05-08-13 03:53 PM
    I've got this issue on my z10 too. I haven't brought it in yet but I suppose I should.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 03:56 PM
    I used to have these ugly looking smudges which appeared few days after I used the z10, I went and installed a screen protector after a thorough cleaning of the screen, the smudges were not visible at all after installing the screen protector.
    Then I got another screen defect and I removed the screen protector and the smudges were there, still present.
    I sent the mobile to Vodafone Egypt for the other screen defect and I also showed them the smudges but they did not seem to want to recognise it as a defect, they just said the screen needed to be cleaned. I didn't argue much on this point since the phone was accepted for repair under warranty due to the other screen defect (an extra illuminated spot on the screen) . Couple of days later I received a phone call from Vodafone saying that since they don't have replacement screens available, they will send me a brand new unit. I couldn't be happier !
    First thing I did after I received the new unit was to put a screen protector, and now my screen is as perfect as can be... however I have no idea if smudges are present or will be present if I remove the screen protector...

Just give it a try, put a screen protector on and you may be lucky and not see the smudges at all...

Posted via CB10
    05-08-13 04:36 PM
    I have these smudges as well. You can feel these spots are a little 'rough' when you gently rub them with your fingernails. I was offered to swap it for a new one within the 2 weeks exchange period, but unfortunately the other 4 (!) units they opened for me in the store where I bought it had other issues like unequally mounted displays, resulting in gaps between display and case. Mine is very well built, though, so I decided to keep mine, clean the screen thoroughly and put a screen protector on it. I am using a Krusell self-healing screen protector which fits perfectly, although I can feel the edge of the protector when swiping up.

Once the screen protector comes loose over time or whatever, I will try to clean it with some graphite lens cleaning stuff.
    05-10-13 05:48 AM
    BlackBerry need to wise up with the manufacturing defects. My sisters phone has a gap between the screen with some serious back light bleed. And this was the replacement.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-13 10:23 AM
137 ... 3456